Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Optician's Salary/Hourly Wages?

Bad address email on file Gloria63's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am Licensed in Ohio and have been doing this for 20 years but only make 11.25 in a private OD office

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gloria63
    I am Licensed in Ohio and have been doing this for 20 years but only make 11.25 in a private OD office[/QUOTE]

This is getting redundant! As I have said many times OD's and MD's don't pay, the above is living proof! If there is an OD or MD that visits this board and will refute what I have said I would be more than happy to have a conversation with them. drk need not apply I know you do the right thing and pay your people a decent wage!:hammer:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I think most people pay according to your skill level. Not saying that you're not good at your job, but just because someone has been doing this for 20 years doesn't mean that they warrant a high salary. I've met lot's of licensed opticians who don't know how to make a pair of glasses. So, if you bring a great skill set to the job you should be paid accordingly, but if not then I mean how much are you really worth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloria63
    I am Licensed in Ohio and have been doing this for 20 years but only make 11.25 in a private OD office

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are willing to work for a sub-standard wage, then that is all (you think)you are worth. If it wasn't a high enough wage, you would have moved on. If (and I don't totaly agree) ODs and MDs don't pay enough, where do they find all these folks that are willing to work for them ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns
    If you are willing to work for a sub-standard wage, then that is all (you think)you are worth. If it wasn't a high enough wage, you would have moved on. If (and I don't totaly agree) ODs and MDs don't pay enough, where do they find all these folks that are willing to work for them ?[/QUOTE]

If you are willing to WRITE a sub-standard POST, then that is all probable you can think up! If it wasn't a good POST, then you should move on!
    See Johns two can play at your little game!:shiner:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jediron,

I won't apologize if my post does not meet your standards.
    I will apologize for not knowing about your "game" (??) Sorry, I've been off the board for awhile and must have missed something.
    Here's my point in simpler terms:

If someone thinks they should be making more, it would only make sense that they would seek out an employer that would be willing to pay them accordingly. If that employer doesn't exist, then you can't say they are "worth" it.

I know of many opticians that pass up $18+an hour to work for about the same amount as Gloria63 is making. They want the slower pace, the better (non-retail) hours, and the more professional work environment that (some) private ODs offer. In the end, it is their decision as to what they are willing to work for, not the OD or MDs. If they're not satisfied with the wage, they can always move on.

Bad address email on file finklstiltskin's Avatar
    If I have already posted on this thread, forgive me (What can I say? College destroyed my short-term memory - lol). I am an apprentice optician in Little Rock, Arkansas with 5 years experience (off-again, on-again, so not the full 5 years of optical experience). I make $10.50 per hour plus commission (on a strange commission scale, not a true percentage).

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I pay my optician $15/hour plus 10% of net income. They make between 45 and 50K as a minimum. Most people think this is pretty good but I still haven't found a really great optician that I can be thrilled with.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ilanh
    I pay my optician $15/hour plus 10% of net income. They make between 45 and 50K as a minimum. Most people think this is pretty good but I still haven't found a really great optician that I can be thrilled with.[/QUOTE]

At least in Western N.Y. they don't pay, reread my post in #102. I know a lot of good Opticians that have been beaten down by the doctors that they just give up and Work for places like Sears and Sams club that will pay $20 to $25 per hour because they are looking for help and will pay but who wants to work there? Caught in between! Just my 2 cents

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello Billy,

I, personally, am glad that I am in a state that requires licensing and don't mind going to my ce hours, by the way, I have spent several of those listening to YOU! I worked hard to get my license and am very proud of my accomplishment and don't mind learning more every year. My only gripe is it seems like the same stuff every year. I don't feel like I walk out of 8 hours knowing any more than when I got there as far as NC Laws or spectacles goes. I did just start a new job after 3 years of staying at home. Getting to salary: With 8 years experience behind me, NC State licensed and NCLE certified, my starting wage is 30,000 a year at 36 hours a week, with full benefits.

I also do agree with you on the curriculum covering more areas of this field. I believe the lack of respect and professionalism is partially due to the laxness of employers and employees. I set a high standard for myself, my image, and my abilities as an optician to gain respect and loyalty of my patients. If I went to work everyday in a pair of blue jeans and a t shirt, I don't think I would gain much trust from my patients! Image has a lot to do with it! Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now!

I also wanted to add that at my previous office, and I'm not sure if this is the case in most offices, that with 3 to 4 doctors on staff everyday with usually full schedules, our optical department pulled in twice as much profit as the doctors and contact lens sales combined. You would think that, in itself, would command some respect and recognition, but it mostly went unnoticed and unmentioned. Not sure what the ratio will be at the new office as it is in a smaller community with only one od.

Quote Originally Posted by ncoptician
    thank you all for the posts... this is a good start.

I agree that we are an underpaid and underappreciated profession. All of the "buy one get one free", "1/2 off", and other retail gimmicks have cheapened our profession. We have become another freebie service in the eyes of the "I want it my way right away", "McDonalds mentality" consumer. The only way I see to combat this trend is to be a PROFESSINAL! Maintian the experience, knowledge and skills required to do your job adequetly and charge people for you services. Free adjustments, screws and nose pads should be for YOUR patients only, charge for outsiders and do the job well. They will appreciate your skills and knowledge and be back again, unlike the horrible adjustments they get from the guy who sold them glasses and worked at "Burger King" the week before.

There is a reason licensed States make higher wages. They require formal training and continued education hours every year to maintain a license. I am an instructor and speaker for these hours in my state and it gripes me to no end to hear people complain about having to attend these courses. They don't seem to understand or appreciate the education or the higher wages they make because of it. If we were to lose our licenses and all of their salaries were cut in 1/2... I bet they would take notice then!!!
    While on this subject, I wish Opticianry was a 4 year degree instead of an associates. We should learn or be taught more business, marketing and management classes as well. A 4 year degree would allow us all to have the $60-80K/year jobs.

SORRY SORRY SORRY... I will step down from the soap box now and get back to the subject at hand. Again, thank you for the posts on salary/wages and keep them comming.
    Last edited by Ladyoptician; 08-17-2005 at 09:30 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    NO,No, No! I swore I would never take another test as long as I live!!LOL! I hold the NCLE and I'm scared of the ABO!! but I'll try.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Optician
    I have a challenge for readers of this forum. I challenge you over the next year to advance yourself one level in certification. If you hold an ABO earn your NCLE, If you hold both get your ABOAC. Keep advancing yourself andlearning more about your profession

Ed

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't sweat the NCLE if you have already past the ABO, I hear it's easier! Does being ABO certified exempt you from any portion? I know the NCLE does on the ABO....

Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    Challange met! As of Monday, I am now ABOC. I'll shoot for the NCLE this NOV...one step at a time.

Thanks for the challenge ED! I appreciate it, especially when the doctors that I work for DON'T encourage it.

P.S. I am signed up with the NAO as well. Time to get moving and involved!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ladyoptician
    NO,No, No! I swore I would never take another test as long as I live!!LOL! I hold the NCLE and I'm scared of the ABO!! but I'll try.....[/QUOTE]

Don't worry the ABO is a MICKEY MOUSE exam and so is the NCLE. They are just entrance level completence tests nothing more!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh good! I might as well add a few more letters after my name, I already have to accumulate ce hours because of my license and my office will pay all testing and renewal fees!

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Too much work

Chip;
    J.Paul Getty once said something I have never forgotten."Most people are too busy working to get rich". He also said " If you can count your money, you are not wealthy". We are made to believe that we have to be open 24/7 to get it all. I never wanted it all, just enough. I have never seen anybody as competition, I don't compete, I just do business my way. I have always tried to appeal to the customer and give them my best. This leads to a lot of word of mouth business, 8 out of 10. It also leads to customer loyalty, not much left these days. Also I think it is a mistake to do in house edging, quit it in 1976. If you can sell 1 or 2 more pairs of glasses just by taking the time you will net much more than if you spend the same time "edging". I have been blessed with much more then I ever needed. I have found that people will come to you when you are there. I honestly do as much in 3.5 days as I did in 5 days.Only been in this shop 7 years. Opened it to have something to do. Been in it over 45 years and still LOVE IT!
    Bill West: TBDOA - IWFMO - NPOBSH
    LDO,VA - LDO,NC - Former ABO - NCLE
    Past President North Carolina Opticians Assoc. 83/84
    QUOTE=chip anderson]Damn:

I went independent and I still have to work 80 to 100 hours a week. Wish I knew what Mr. West was doing right.
    Chip[/QUOTE]

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Forgive my obtuseness, but my optician is spectacle and contact lens licensed by the state. I'd have to ask her if she has ABO certification, but I think not.

As to the pay scale, I think that professional advancement is a plus. Payscales should reflect that. I would be more likely to set a standard starting salary for apprentice, then ABO-NCLE certified, then state licensed, then master (forgive me if I got those reversed), assuming it's an employment situation. I can't be that much more specific, but I would say each step should improve at least 20%.

The bottom line is that with increased education/certification, increased value to a health care delivery team and increased responsibility should occur, be it better decision-making skills or patient care. There should be a tangible increase in the financial value of the advancing professional, as well, that would justify the greater remuneration.

Ideally in this world, education should translate directly to higher income, but in reality its higher education-> higher value-> higher income.
    Can I work for you please? I have been in opticianry for 18 yrs, ABO,
    NCLE, State Licensed, and make $17.74 an hour - my powers that be gave us 61 cents an hour increase when we became NCLE/State Licensed! And they call it generous!:drop: I think at least $1.00 would have been nice, but, maybe just getting greedy in my old age! Sure like your idea of 20% tho!!!:cheers:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Salary

Unfortunately there is not always a direct correlation between professional advancement and suitable increases in pay. Of course there should be merit pay for increasing skills and ability but there should also be increases of several thousand $ per year for professional advancement/licensure. According to the ABO website certified opticians should make at least 8K per year more than an unlicensed equivalent. In my opinion there should not be any unlicensed practicioners past their first year.

Ed

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    drk said:
    Forgive my obtuseness, but my optician is spectacle and contact lens licensed by the state. I'd have to ask her if she has ABO certification, but I think not.

As to the pay scale, I think that professional advancement is a plus. Payscales should reflect that. I would be more likely to set a standard starting salary for apprentice, then ABO-NCLE certified, then state licensed, then master (forgive me if I got those reversed), assuming it's an employment situation. I can't be that much more specific, but I would say each step should improve at least 20%.

The bottom line is that with increased education/certification, increased value to a health care delivery team and increased responsibility should occur, be it better decision-making skills or patient care. There should be a tangible increase in the financial value of the advancing professional, as well, that would justify the greater remuneration.

Ideally in this world, education should translate directly to higher income, but in reality its higher education-> higher value-> higher income.

Too bad most OD's and MD's don't see it your way. Your a good man drk.
    Most OD's and MD's feel that they can go get another one (person to fill the roll as optician) off the street and have them do what the Optician does. There is no respect for the Opticians here (western N.Y.).
    That is why most good Opticians I know have gone to places like Sam's, Sears, BJ's, J.C.Penney's ect.ect. because they can get what there worth at those places where the MD and OD offices flat out refuse to pay more than
    17.00 per hour where as the above named places will go as high as 25-27 per hour to fill there need. Doctors (and I use that term loosely) on the other hand just say, there only opticians they are only going to get xx amount of money and thats all. I had one MD tell a group of his staff me included that he made the money by doing surgery and no one worked harder than him and he was not going to pay others more than what they were getting. Even
    though the staff and opticians is what made that practice run. It must be ingrained when there in school, screw your staff and stuff your pockets with as much money as possible and don't worry about the staff. Just my 2 cents

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe the MD's that feel this way should stick to what they do best! Surgery is where they make there money. Get out of the optical business and let those that perform this task do it to the best of their ability and get paid for it!

I know a OD a brother of a school mate of mine that has this terrible attitude. When his employees ask for raises just gets rid of them and start the process all over. Not a very kind way of doing business!!!!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Disposable employees

It is not just the private practice ODs and MDs who play that game. In reality keeping constant turnover of personnel is not good for a practice. Constantly training newbies is not a good thing....more mistakes occur resulting in more redos, more redos mean more delays leading to unhappy customers/patients. Training new personnel also may lead to billing hassles as well slowing down the process and having more redos/rebills due to errors

Chain stores are also guilty of this They want new people to learn how to do their job the company way. They offer an earn as you learn program inccreasing pay as you learn new lab skills. After the 3 step process you are maxxed out This is not hearsay I experienced it with LENSSHAFTERS
    Tuition remission was the straw that broke the camels back for them. They offered a tuition remission program for those ing an optical AAS program 25%if you got a C 50% if you got a B and 75% if you got an A in ophthalmic courses. Three days after I submitted 18 credits of A grade course work I was canned

Ed

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many busineses in all walks of life tend to pay women/ men less money knowing that their income supplements the breadwinner! I think that this happens a lot in MD/OD offices and I believe that if this is their way of thinking they should be shot!!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How do you put a price tag on an employee that is Licensed and serves as the offices only Optician, does the janitorial work, lab work, insurance billing, supply ordering, answering of the phones and scheduling, of course dispensing and troubleshooting, etc. I don't think it's possible.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't jump to conclusions about ODS wages. They're not All rolling in the dough.

I recently interviewed 6 ODs for a new location. All of them work at chain stores, and all were looking to get out ASAP. Four of them have college loans they are paying off, but said they were having a difficult time making it because the chain stores restricted their ability to work more than one job. Five of them are subcontracting to ODs that were the main contract holders for the chain locations. One was being paid $200 per day, although she was seeing over 35 patients a day! Ironically, rather than work the chains themselves, the contract holder ODs are all in private practices in other parts of the city.

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been an optician for six years, three of those yrs as an ABOC optician. I make 11.39 an hour. Our raises are based on our skill, and I am earning the higher end of this spectrum.

Our company will reimburse us for continuing education costs for classes, but not for our travel there, unless we are being sent for work. In the case of my going to Vision Expo West, I paid for my entire trip out of pocket. 75 % of my classes I took will be reimbursed.

Although I enjoy my job, and my coworkers, I do feel underpaid. However, it is important to bear in mind that as a whole, no one from any occupation makes what could be considered standard in this town.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have a B.S. in Biology from the University of Georgia, and my goal is to become an Optometrist, so I am in the process of applying to Optometry school. In the meantime, I had some experience with Wal-Mart, then worked with an OD as their tech and right hand man.. I had a short term goal of getting my license in the state of Georgia, and I got it, and now I am job hunting...

I got an offer for $23 an hour. :D Tried to get $25.

Thread Information