Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Optician's Salary/Hourly Wages?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Try both

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    Spoken like a true entrepreneur, Chris. Your words ring in my ear like a perfectly tuned pitch fork.
    Try them both amd let us know how it feeels.

Bad address email on file
    How silly of me. I should have said 'like a high-pitched tuning fork.'

But then again, being self-employed CAN feel like a pitch fork at times!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Snitgirl
    drk,

Is your Optician certified?

If not, would you pay them more if they passed the ABO while under your employment?

If so, I am curious, what would be the amount (increase) you feel they have earned for their advancement in the field?

In my experience drk is paying about $2.00 more than most OD's would pay there Opticians. I commend drk for seeing that "you get what you pay for".
    Most OD's and MD's don't look at it like that, they only see Im paying he or she how much! I could hire someone else for $3 or 4 less and pocket that money. That is how most OD's and MD's think, I should know I have worked for many of them over the years and the one thing that stands out is they are extremely greedy!:bbg:

PS: I was working for an OD for about a year and half when he decided that
    it was not working out and let me go. That following week on Monday he drives up in a brand new Cadillac. The receptionist said when did you get that? The OD said: " After I let Jediron1 go I went and got the Cadillac, with
    his salary gone I can afford the Caddy.:shiner:
    Last edited by jediron1; 07-13-2005 at 10:37 AM.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WOW, that is a really sad story.. sorry to hear you got replaced by a car.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Snitgirl
    WOW, that is a really sad story.. sorry to hear you got replaced by a car.[/QUOTE]

That is just one story. I have so many more where I and others have been shafted by MD's and OD's I could or maybe I should write a book. Let's see I think I could call it " The Shafting of Opticians, So MD's and OD's Can line There Own Pockets " Little long but it would get the point across! Just my 2 cents!:shiner:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Snitgirl]WOW, that is a really sad story.. sorry to hear you got replaced by a car.[/QUOTE]

Well here's another story. A friend of mine went to interview at a Dr's office after telling him they liked him and wanted him to start on Monday they offered him $4.00 less then he is making now. Well he told them that was unexceptable
    and left. He went for another interview with Walmart and they offered him $2.00
    more then he is making now, Go figure! Just my 2 cents! But as I have said before, Doctors don't pay!:shiner:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a real shame what's happening to this profession and our wages!!

It's not what you know, it's who you know....sad, very sad! :hammer:

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work for a private practice with 4 docs, In CA, I am not licensed but I am taking my ncle in november. I make $9 an hour, but not only do I do glasses, I do prelems as well, like an optometric asst. I DO IT ALL! I made the same amount in NC at a doctor just doing the assisting, no dispensing. SAD huh? I really hope we move to a licensing state. I cant believe I make the same amount here as I did in NC, Especially since the cost of living is so much more. If My fiance wasnt in aerospace we would be in serious trouble. I would have to waitress on the side! Oh, and we do all of our stylings on paper, we dont have computers at the tables, only for billing. But the docs who own the place both have BRAND NEW very nice lexuses...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahMP584
    I work for a private practice with 4 docs, In CA, I am not licensed but I am taking my ncle in november. I make $9 an hour, but not only do I do glasses, I do prelems as well, like an optometric asst. I DO IT ALL! I made the same amount in NC at a doctor just doing the assisting, no dispensing. SAD huh? I really hope we move to a licensing state. I cant believe I make the same amount here as I did in NC, Especially since the cost of living is so much more. If My fiance wasnt in aerospace we would be in serious trouble. I would have to waitress on the side! Oh, and we do all of our stylings on paper, we dont have computers at the tables, only for billing. But the docs who own the place both have BRAND NEW very nice lexuses...

how long have you been in the field, a year? $9.00 seems a bit low for what you are doing.
    Last edited by Snitgirl; 07-18-2005 at 09:58 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Look around.....................

I work for a private practice with 4 docs, In CA, I am not licensed but I am taking my ncle in november. I make $9 an hour, but not only do I do glasses, I do prelems as well, like an optometric asst.
    Continue doing you job as good as you are able and quetly look around for another same job that pays more and then leave for better pastures.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It makes me so sad to hear that. When ever we hire it is so hard to find anyone with experience let alone someone whom could fill in in all aspects of the office. You seem very well rounded. I wish you much luck looking for a change of employment.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I sound like a broken record but I will say it again, OD's Or MD's don't pay. They like lining there own pockets at the expense of all there workers they hire or fire. You said it youself " both have BRAND NEW LEXUSES " that should give you a clue where they want to spend there money. If they had half a brain they would understand that if you paid a decent wage, you could hire compentent help who would more than compliment there practice. But sadly they don't see the glass half full they see the glass half empty! I don't know what course they took in Optometry School but it must have been " How to be cheap with help while you live like a KING " or something akin to that. It's just unbelivable how OD's and MD's think. ME first and the to H_ll with the wrest of you. Sorry for the rant, but I have been burned by too many of these egotistical blow hards who have not the foggest idea on how to run a business and when you come and show them, three years later your called greedy for asking for $1.00 increase in you pay and told your not needed and let go! Just my 2 cents!:shiner:
    Last edited by jediron1; 07-18-2005 at 07:44 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cinders831
    It makes me so sad to hear that. When ever we hire it is so hard to find anyone with experience let alone someone whom could fill in in all aspects of the office. You seem very well rounded. I wish you much luck looking for a change of employment.
    drk had the solution. He pays his Optician a fair wage, there by insuring that person won't leave and by doing that he keeps his practice running smoothly!:D

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i WOULD LEAVE THEM!!! They are just plain STUPID!!!

gREED DOES A LOT OF BAD THINGS TO A PERSON!!

Only when they realize that their business is going down hill will they realize what you did for them.

Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    drk had the solution. He pays his Optician a fair wage, there by insuring that person won't leave and by doing that he keeps his practice running smoothly!:D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    With every response I've read (with very few exceptions) it seems that the best way to be compensated at a far higher level is easy...BECOME AN OD!

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em

AA

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan
    With every response I've read (with very few exceptions) it seems that the best way to be compensated at a far higher level is easy...BECOME AN OD!

AA
    Ya and at 54 I could also become a nuclear Physicist!:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hummm, form a union? lol

AA

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy

OH guys it is sooo hard. I have been in the business 3 years now, and I know what I am doing, I learned from the best...I even do billing!
    I found out today that from our sales of varilux, our office won a TRIP TO PARIS....Guess who is taking it??
    That makes me most angry.
    I will be at this office a year and I doubt I will get a raise, looking at the other people. As soon as I get my cert I am going to look at other opportunities that will pay me for my expertise. The people are nice enough, so it is hard to leave you know? I was offered a position at another OD office for $13 but the doc was a jerk....Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SarahMP584,

Tell your future employers what you've told us, and show them the value you can offer to their office.

DRK has the right idea because he knows how expensive training someone is. Employee retention is the key to a smooth running operation.

In the meantime...

Maybe you shouldn't dismiss the waitressing (or bartending) so readily.

My niece (with a masters degree in education) make 50k+ as a bartender at a place called "The Pig Iron", a barbeque joint.(drk's probably been there). I thought that was pretty good until I found out she only works 4 days a week, 6 hours a day!! She does tutoring on the side because she can't afford to teach full time. How twisted is that!!? On the other hand, she's smart enough to realize that she could move to a different market and work in the field she's been schooled for, but wants to pay off her school loans first.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    SarahMP584,

Tell your future employers what you've told us, and show them the value you can offer to their office.

DRK has the right idea because he knows how expensive training someone is. Employee retention is the key to a smooth running operation.

In the meantime...

Maybe you shouldn't dismiss the waitressing (or bartending) so readily.

My niece (with a masters degree in education) make 50k+ as a bartender at a place called "The Pig Iron", a barbeque joint.(drk's probably been there). I thought that was pretty good until I found out she only works 4 days a week, 6 hours a day!! She does tutoring on the side because she can't afford to teach full time. How twisted is that!!? On the other hand, she's smart enough to realize that she could move to a different market and work in the field she's been schooled for, but wants to pay off her school loans first.

1. drk does do it right! But sad to say most OD's or MD's only think of them selves and no body else. Like I said most only retain you so long as it does not affect there pocket, as soon as that happens your FIRED!

2. If you can move to another state. My daughter who also has her masters
    teaches and makes (her third year) around 42,000.00, but she has two weeks off for Christmas, a week off for spring break and from the second week in June and till Sept. 6 she has off, so basically she is making 42,000.00 in 9 months not 12. THat's in N.Y. state!

3. For 50,000.00 I would work at that rib place! And back to No.1, most OD's and MD's don't care about retention, I worked for an MD that had a revolving
    door every 6 months and his attitude was we can always train another!:drop:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ya and at 54 I could also become a nuclear Physicist!
    At opticians wages, we will all be working until we're 90 years old anyway...so by that rationale, you can have your OD license by the time you're between 58 and 62. By assuming an an almost automatic increase in yearly wages of 30-50K a year, the degree will more than pay for itself...:D

AA

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or... Move to a third world country like I did! The OD's work for you here. The pay may not be as good as the states but when the economy turns around you can make some good retirement money.

At opticians wages, we will all be working until we're 90 years old anyway...so by that rationale, you can have your OD license by the time you're between 58 and 62. By assuming an an almost automatic increase in yearly wages of 30-50K a year, the degree will more than pay for itself...:D

AA

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I work for an OD and make $20/hr.....and I'm not ABO,NCLE or anything other than great at what I do!
    I sound like a broken record but I will say it again, OD's Or MD's don't pay. They like lining there own pockets at the expense of all there workers they hire or fire. You said it youself " both have BRAND NEW LEXUSES " that should give you a clue where they want to spend there money. If they had half a brain they would understand that if you paid a decent wage, you could hire compentent help who would more than compliment there practice. But sadly they don't see the glass half full they see the glass half empty! I don't know what course they took in Optometry School but it must have been " How to be cheap with help while you live like a KING " or something akin to that. It's just unbelivable how OD's and MD's think. ME first and the to H_ll with the wrest of you. Sorry for the rant, but I have been burned by too many of these egotistical blow hards who have not the foggest idea on how to run a business and when you come and show them, three years later your called greedy for asking for $1.00 increase in you pay and told your not needed and let go! Just my 2 cents!:shiner:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

To: Johns and about wages

While I agree in part to your comments about MD's and OD's not wanting to pay for the level of skills that most Opticians bring to the table. I don't think that it is fair to make such wide strokes that makes it out like almost all OD's and MD's are looking to screw the Opticians over. Many don't appreciate just how much it takes to be a good Optician today. Nor do they appreciate just how much profit those Opticians bring to the bottom line, not to mention that they are directly responsible for making sure those patients have a positive feeling about coming to the practice. BUT, there are a lot of OD's and MD's that do pay well, and don't want to see employees coming and going, it is a major pain to bring in new people. I have worked for some that were bad, just plain greedy bad. I have also worked for some that really care about the patients, and care about the employees, and pay a very fair wage.

If any Optician is not happy with the pay they make, quit, find another job that pays what they want. If they can't find the pay they want then get the skills to do another job in another field that will pay well. I know of a number of people that have changed jobs late in life, and they are very glad they did. I know of one man that at the age of 54 went back to college and got his CPA degree..and he is making more money now than he had ever dreamed of. An Optician friend of mine, who also had his own private Optical store for some 16 years, just closed it down. He moved to Florida and now designs and builds boats of some kind.

It can be done, so if those of you are not happy with the pay, just stop complaining about how greedy everyone is. The world is full of greedy people, get use to it. If you don't like your life or your job, think it is all so unfair, well too bad, do some thing about it. Make a change in your life that will make you happy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    beertv
    While I agree in part to your comments about MD's and OD's not wanting to pay for the level of skills that most Opticians bring to the table. I don't think that it is fair to make such wide strokes that makes it out like almost all OD's and MD's are looking to screw the Opticians over. Many don't appreciate just how much it takes to be a good Optician today. Nor do they appreciate just how much profit those Opticians bring to the bottom line, not to mention that they are directly responsible for making sure those patients have a positive feeling about coming to the practice. BUT, there are a lot of OD's and MD's that do pay well, and don't want to see employees coming and going, it is a major pain to bring in new people. I have worked for some that were bad, just plain greedy bad. I have also worked for some that really care about the patients, and care about the employees, and pay a very fair wage.

1. Nice name tag beertv!:shiner:

2. Maybe there are OD's and MD's out there but in Western N.Y. it's not a huge community so every one knows everyone. The point being OD's and MD's
    are know not to pay, that is from experience and from talking with people in the know.:bbg:

Thread Information