Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Optician's Salary/Hourly Wages?

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    that's nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by drillmountmaster
    I made $500 today selling frames to a doctors office......it took me about 3 hours

Banned
    it sure is
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    that's nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spexvet
    I live in PA and work in New Jersey because NJ is a licensed state. A license and a pulse will get you $18 - $20/hr, even with a chain. If you run the doctor's business for him, you can make significantly more than that. :D[/QUOTE]

Well in Western N.Y. I have not found one Doctor (OD or MD ) that was willing to " significantly " pay more for an Optician to run there business. In fact it is quite the opposite. All the doctors I have run across have been greedy money
    mongers looking to see how much of that six figure income they could pad away
    for themselves and to H-ll with every body else. Now that maybe just here but from what I hear it's like that every where. I have know most of the Doctors in our area in fact have been contacted to run a couple of businesses but the starting pay was demeaning (14.00 per hour for someone who has twenty five years experience) unbelievable!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks ED.

Challange met! As of Monday, I am now ABOC. I'll shoot for the NCLE this NOV...one step at a time.

Thanks for the challenge ED! I appreciate it, especially when the doctors that I work for DON'T encourage it.

P.S. I am signed up with the NAO as well. Time to get moving and involved!

Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    Challenge accepted!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ed_
    Optician]In NJ the number of opticians is controlled by the State Society of Opticians who provides the State Board with examiners for the opticians exam. Fresh out of school with a shiny new license $25/hour was not unheard of. Add some experienc and $40 is not unusual. In NY with more licenses given on a regular basis $15-18 is normal and that may move up to $25 or $30 over time
    In California I have been shocked by what opticians get paid. Having 20 years experience and being offered $12/hour is an insult to an optician with experience education and full licensure and certification. Yet when I teach at a community college in this field over $40/hour is not uncommon. The problem here is a weak opticians society and a strong lobby by the MDs and ODs

Ed[/QUOTE]

The wage also depends on what area you live in. For instances if you live in Ohio ( Cinn.) and want to move to N.Y. City making the same wage ( lets say
    42000.00 per year) you would have to make 84,000.00 in N.Y. just to match
    what you were getting in Ohio, so area and what part of the country your in makes a huge difference. From Career-Wizard.com

Last edited by jediron1; 07-04-2005 at 06:56 PM.

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My inducements

I started as a sales associate at Sears Optical in 1998, and worked there for about 2.5 years. I then went to a small, local chain as a sales associate/consultant to bring up the sales in their lowest selling store. That lasted a whole 4 months, as I couldn't sit in my car in the parking lot for more than 10 minutes without being mobbed by 3 or 4 of the usual panhandlers working that area. The whole office was a 'learning experience'. In April 2001, I found that a doctor I worked with at Sears left to start his own private practice. I was hired, and for the first 6 months, I was the sole employee. I had many weeks where I worked until 3 or 4 in the morning. Staying the night in the back office so I could sleep before patients were to come in for the following morning were not unheard of.
    Now, 4 years later, I just recieved my Florida State license. I still do a little bit of everything, and I still push myself to be the highest quality employee that I can be.
    After our regular commissions, and bouses attached to me being a manager, I will probably pull in close to $50,000.00/year.
    The biggest drawback to all this is that at 24 years old, I don't see much of a way to increase my pay substantially without taking on all the stress that is associated with owning an optical. So, with that being said, I have been working on my plans of opening my own optical in late 2007.

Wish me luck!

Thanks
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Good luck !!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by William Walker
    I started as a sales associate at Sears Optical in 1998, and worked there for about 2.5 years. I then went to a small, local chain as a sales associate/consultant to bring up the sales in their lowest selling store. That lasted a whole 4 months, as I couldn't sit in my car in the parking lot for more than 10 minutes without being mobbed by 3 or 4 of the usual panhandlers working that area. The whole office was a 'learning experience'. In April 2001, I found that a doctor I worked with at Sears left to start his own private practice. I was hired, and for the first 6 months, I was the sole employee. I had many weeks where I worked until 3 or 4 in the morning. Staying the night in the back office so I could sleep before patients were to come in for the following morning were not unheard of.
    Now, 4 years later, I just recieved my Florida State license. I still do a little bit of everything, and I still push myself to be the highest quality employee that I can be.
    After our regular commissions, and bouses attached to me being a manager, I will probably pull in close to $50,000.00/year.
    The biggest drawback to all this is that at 24 years old, I don't see much of a way to increase my pay substantially without taking on all the stress that is associated with owning an optical. So, with that being said, I have been working on my plans of opening my own optical in late 2007.

Wish me luck!

Thanks
    That is one reason why I am getting out of the dispensing business in the next couple of years.

I could war that hard in another industry and make much more. Better yet, I want to get my Phd and teach, work a lot less and get paid a hell of a lot more.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by William Walker

Wish me luck!

Thanks
    Thanks for posting this…. Sad to say, but it’s a relief to see that I am not the only one out there that thinks of what to do when you’re pay is maxed out.

Besides opening up an Optical Shop, or becoming a Sales Rep, what is one to do when the cost of living keeps increasing? Work for an M.D.? Does that make a difference, O.D. vs M.D?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Snitgirl]
    Thanks for posting this…. Sad to say, but it’s a relief to see that I am not the only one out there that thinks of what to do when you’re pay is maxed out.

Besides opening up an Optical Shop, or becoming a Sales Rep, what is one to do when the cost of living keeps increasing? Work for an M.D.? Does that make a difference, O.D. vs M.D?[/QUOTE]

As I said a couple of posts ago I have not seen or heard of an O.D. Or M.D. that was willing to pay more than $16.00 per hour for some one with twenty years of experience. Now that is around western N.Y. maybe in other areas it's different but I doubt it. OD's will be OD's and MD's will be MD's which means they don't pay well.:D

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    deleted
    Last edited by Happylady; 08-26-2008 at 04:02 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    I would like to know what a full time employee with ABO certification and less than 1 year of on hands experience can expect for an hourly salary in New Jersey. This person is three courses shy of completing an accredited program in opticianry science for an Associates degree. The three remaining classes are contact lens I and II and an 4-month internship working in a practice/retail establishment.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrownhall
    I would like to know what a full time employee with ABO certification and less than 1 year of on hands experience can expect for an hourly salary in New Jersey. This person is three courses shy of completing an accredited program in opticianry science for an Associates degree. The three remaining classes are contact lens I and II and an 4-month internship working in a practice/retail establishment.
    If the employee has his/her apprentice permit, $12.00 - $15.00 per hour. Probably low end since less than 1 year experience. Without the permit, less. How valuable is this person to you and your business?
    ...Just ask me...

OptiBoard Novice
    Thank You. The person is in the process of getting the apprenticeship papers from the state board. The person is very important since I have a small practice.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

WHY DON"T OPTICIANS MAKE MORE $$$$$ ?

March 1960 went to work for three Optometrist. March 1963 asked for good raise, was told just could not do it, wasn't there. Two weeks later found job in Richmond much better pay. Went back and gave two weeks notice. After much discussion they offered me $ 100.00 more per week, I had asked for $75. Told them too late not enough as I was going to make more than that. They got mad let me go 2 hours later with 2 weeks vacation pay. Had wife and three small kids and lived in Bristol, long way from home. Best thing I ever did. If they won't pay you fair. QUIT! QUIT! Plenty out there to choose from. Plenty of Chains needing top class people. I've been independent since 1978 and have opened and sold over 6 stores. I now work 3.5 days a week take 3-5 weeks vacation and still make more than mentioned here.
    GO INDEPENDENT! WORK FOR YOURSELF! Today it's not how you sell, but how you buy.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Damn:

I went independent and I still have to work 80 to 100 hours a week. Wish I knew what Mr. West was doing right.
    Chip

Bad address email on file

How To Get Rich -- by Jason Carruthers

If an optician wants to make more money, there are only 2 choices:

1) Start your own business -- This is a double-edged sword. You take away the ceiling that limits how much you can make, but you also take away the floor that stops your income from going into the negative.

2) Profit Share -- Convince your boss to give you part ownership of your company. Then expand into new markets and watch your net worth skyrocket.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chip anderson
    Damn:

I went independent and I still have to work 80 to 100 hours a week. Wish I knew what Mr. West was doing right.
    Chip[/QUOTE]

If Mr. West is doing that well good for him but I have hard time believing that story! Maybe it's true or maybe like Humpy Dumpy Mr. West might have taken
    few too many falls. Either way nice story!:shiner:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile Beats being an employee .......................

Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    chip anderson
    Damn:
    Chip
    Nothing beats working for your own store, company, corporation or whatever that is your own.

Rather tighten the belt and be the decision maker than be a highly paid employee that can be kicked out, or sent down the ladder (Peters Principle) without explanantion.

When you are independent you do some things wrong, and you will pay for or you some things right and you rake in the profit.

After all working for yourself becomes fun, a habit and you actually put in more hours than any employee would or could. But every inch your business goes forward is due to something you did right.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Snitgirl

Besides opening up an Optical Shop, or becoming a Sales Rep, what is one to a difference, O.D. vs M.D?do when the cost of living keeps increasing? Work for an M.D.? Does that make

I heard this from a number of MD's and OD's who say " Why should I pay an Optician $17.00 per hour with 20 years experience when I can hire someone with 3 or 4 years or just out of school for $12 or 13 per hour"? I know because I've been down this path, you explain all the benefits and they still look at you and say but I would have to pay $17 per hour and I (MD or OD ) think that is too much, I need that money in my pocket not the Opticians pocket. I have not found one OD or MD in the Western N.Y. area that was willing to pay more than $15.00 per hour. I know of one large MD office (5 sites with MD's OD's and Opticians) that had a sign up in there waiting area
    asking for Opticians starting pay $13.50 per hour. I called and told them I
    was interested but not for the price they posted but for $18.00 per hour and I told them that would be almost $2.00 less then what I make now but I said I would bite the bullet to get back with and OD or MD they said " There head Optician did not make $18.00 per hour and could not and would not pay $18.00 but they said if you would consider $14.00 we would be interested. I said no thanks and told them that was a slap in the face where they said it's $14.00 or nothing I said I will stay where I m at for now.

Now I talked to another MD who did pay his help very well in fact top dollar but here's the kicker he was a Neurologist who said I witnessed first hand the problem you have when you don;t pay your help a decent wage and he said I did not want to go through that. :shiner:

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just remember. I have been doing a lot of that lately! You have the opportunity to make more working for yourself! When you work for the other guy they make the money!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Nothing beats working for your own store, company, corporation or whatever that is your own.

Rather tighten the belt and be the decision maker than be a highly paid employee that can be kicked out, or sent down the ladder (Peters Principle) without explanantion.

When you are independent you do some things wrong, and you will pay for or you some things right and you rake in the profit.

After all working for yourself becomes fun, a habit and you actually put in more hours than any employee would or could. But every inch your business goes forward is due to something you did right.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Come on down and check it out. I've said for years "it takes a dummy to fail as an independent retail optician". Be glad to help anyone who wants to try it. It can still be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    chip anderson
    Damn:

Chip
    If Mr. West is doing that well good for him but I have hard time believing that story! Maybe it's true or maybe like Humpy Dumpy Mr. West might have taken
    few too many falls. Either way nice story!:shiner:[/QUOTE]

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I received a call from Costco yesterday, and they are trying to recruit me to work part time for about $18.00/hr. It's not management, any hours over 8 in a day are paid as overtime, if/when I work on Sundays, those hours are overtime (super sweet), and even as a part time employee, I have benefits, 401K (with $500.00 employer matching), $500 school allowance, and full reimbursement for educational hours and license renewal fees. I'm also told that every 6 months, employees receive a bonus, commonly at this location between $1000 to $2000 for part time employees.

I'm considering it, simply because it would be a super low stress environment, and I'd only be working 4 days/week. I could use that extra time to really focus on starting my own optical, and not have to make my job my priority 24/7.

William
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Bad address email on file
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Spoken like a true entrepreneur, Chris. Your words ring in my ear like a perfectly tuned pitch fork.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pitch fork or tuning fork? They are quite different especially in the ear.

Thread Information