Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Optician's Salary/Hourly Wages?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Salary/Wages

In NJ the number of opticians is controlled by the State Society of Opticians who provides the State Board with examiners for the opticians exam. Fresh out of school with a shiny new license $25/hour was not unheard of. Add some experienc and $40 is not unusual. In NY with more licenses given on a regular basis $15-18 is normal and that may move up to $25 or $30 over time
    In California I have been shocked by what opticians get paid. Having 20 years experience and being offered $12/hour is an insult to an optician with experience education and full licensure and certification. Yet when I teach at a community college in this field over $40/hour is not uncommon. The problem here is a weak opticians society and a strong lobby by the MDs and ODs

Ed

Occupation
    Optometrist
    $40 for a temple bender?!?!?! Unless you're an owner or can walk on water, there is no way to justify that kind of money! (Unless you're a specialty CTL fitter).

There are many opticians asking 28+/hour Plus Benefits (which they can get at a chain, but they work like rented mules). It is my experience, though, that there is not always a correlation between Licensing status and Ability. I have worked with $30/hour prima donnas fresh from the licensing test who couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag with a sharp object and instructions. I have also had the honor of working with competent skilled folks (non licensed) making $12/hour, with whom I would much rather entrust my practice to if I needed to.

But, as in all professions, Licensing doesn't neccesarily weed out the incompetent...

Q. What do you call the person who finished Last in his Med School class?
    A. DOCTOR

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Nj

In NJ opticians may not fit and dispense contact lenses ...go to their website and check out what they can do, NJ does not go by ANSI they go tighter, NJ does not recognize theABO exam it has its own , NJ's state society keeps the number of licenses down so there is always a demand so even the chains pay more
    Strong license+strong state society= good opticians making good money

Opticians in non licensed states need to learn from this

ED FNAO FCLSA
    ABOC NCLC California RSLD RCLD NY Ophthalmic Dispenser

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Optician
    In NJ the number of opticians is controlled by the State Society of Opticians who provides the State Board with examiners for the opticians exam. Fresh out of school with a shiny new license $25/hour was not unheard of. Add some experienc and $40 is not unusual. In NY with more licenses given on a regular basis $15-18 is normal and that may move up to $25 or $30 over time
    In California I have been shocked by what opticians get paid. Having 20 years experience and being offered $12/hour is an insult to an optician with experience education and full licensure and certification. Yet when I teach at a community college in this field over $40/hour is not uncommon. The problem here is a weak opticians society and a strong lobby by the MDs and ODs

Ed
    San Diego Doc's are all "in cahoots" with each other when it comes to paying their employees, don't you think? lol

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

SD area

Unfortunately California doctors have a strong lobby presence read that as mega bucks spent in Sacremento to keep the status quo. Unfortunately opticians in this state are not well organized so we get what is handed to us a mickey mouse fee collection license and nothing more. If you read the laws of the state MDs and ODs do not really want licensed opticians working for them because there is an exclusion for employees of MDs and ODs.
    Snitgirl :PM me and I will tell you a bit more about my optical background
    Ed

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Ideally in this world, education should translate directly to higher income, but in reality its higher education-> higher value-> higher income.
    I think the "value" portion is the key. You must be, and show that you are, valuable to your employer in order to get a high rate of pay.

I know some certified or licensed opticians who are not especially valuable. They bend temples and take orders, and that's about the extent of it, and that's the basis for their pay. Minimum pay for minimum duties. Sure, they get "licensed pay" because they have the education and met state requirements, but it's minimum licensed pay.

I run my doctor's dispensary. He writes a couple of checks a month, and I do EVERYTHING else. I have made myself indispensible. I deliver profit to him, and do the work for him. And I get compensated well for what I do. When it comes down to it, though, he pays me well not because I have a license, but because I am valuable to him.
    ...Just ask me...

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Value of Employee

I have a challenge for readers of this forum. I challenge you over the next year to advance yourself one level in certification. If you hold an ABO earn your NCLE, If you hold both get your ABOAC. Keep advancing yourself andlearning more about your profession

Ed

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a challenge for readers of this forum. I challenge you over the next year to advance yourself one level in certification. If you hold an ABO earn your NCLE, If you hold both get your ABOAC. Keep advancing yourself andlearning more about your profession

Ed
    Challenge accepted!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ed
    I'll take that challenge as well.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is a good post! You hit the nail on the head! Value!

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    I think the "value" portion is the key. You must be, and show that you are, valuable to your employer in order to get a high rate of pay.

I know some certified or licensed opticians who are not especially valuable. They bend temples and take orders, and that's about the extent of it, and that's the basis for their pay. Minimum pay for minimum duties. Sure, they get "licensed pay" because they have the education and met state requirements, but it's minimum licensed pay.

I run my doctor's dispensary. He writes a couple of checks a month, and I do EVERYTHING else. I have made myself indispensible. I deliver profit to him, and do the work for him. And I get compensated well for what I do. When it comes down to it, though, he pays me well not because I have a license, but because I am valuable to him.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Challenge

By challenging ourselves, we are improving ourselves. If we do this right when an employer looks for an office manager, they will look for someone who is ABO/NCLEAC because we have more knowledge than the average temple bender

How many "temple benders" know how to properly compensate for vertex distance? Can most of us calculate a proper intermediate Rx for some finite distance? Can we recomend the proper diopter to put on a camera eyepiece based on an apparant viewing distance of 1m?

I also believe that the ABO should limit the number of times that a person may attempt to 3 failures and you are gone. One of the managers at a local WalMart thought the exam was extremely difficult and took 5 attempts to pass it. This is one of my reasons for raising the bar for opticians

Ed

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our State allows 3 chances at taking the Board Exam. This means any parts you took previously and passed do not have to be retaken on the next attempt up to 3 chances. After that you start from scratch again. Again, I think more business, economics and management courses should be required to give Opticians a fighting chance at becoming the office manager especially in the big corps. Too many people in the higher ranks calling all the shots that know nothing about optics or customer service for that matter.

OptiBoard Novice
    The following is from a brochure issued by the Virginia Board for Opticians and the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulations: “Median annual earnings of opticians in Virginia were $30,570 in 2001. This median earnings amount is based on: Entry Wage: $18,100. Average wage: $30,040. Experienced wage: $36,020.

"The earnings for an optician will vary based on region of the state where they are employed. Earnings may also vary based on the industry in which an optician is employed ranging from medical doctor offices/clinics, other medical practitioner offices, retail stores and department stores.

Source: Virginia Employment Commission, 2003 Publication, 2001 OES Wage Survey Data”

Banned
    I make about 20/per hr.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Ed
    Done

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by drillmountmaster
    I make about 20/per hr.

In the words of Napolean Dynomite:

lucky ! :D

Karen

ps: welcome to optiboard !! :cheers:

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For your wage or fee what is it you perform that is worth this amount? Would you so kindly tell the rest of us what your job description is?

The new incoming optician should have dreams to raise their hopes for a better life.

I make about 20/per hr.

Banned
    I can edge,surface, do my own drill mounts, make $800 sales, I am very good at purchasing for the business (buy low sell high), I come in early, leave late, I can run circles around most people. And while most people sit around thinking about what progressive lens has the least amount of distortion and why, I'm thinking about how I can take people who are wearing a Varilux Panamic and put them into an Adaptar but still charge them the same amount of money.....and what lab has a special on house brand A/R this month??????? Did I mention that on my day off I'm a Frame Rep!?

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great!! Sounds like you are a workaolic!! Good luck! I hope you accomplish your 1st million soon!

I can edge,surface, do my own drill mounts, make $800 sales, I am very good at purchasing for the business (buy low sell high), I come in early, leave late, I can run circles around most people. And while most people sit around thinking about what progressive lens has the least amount of distortion and why, I'm thinking about how I can take people who are wearing a Varilux Panamic and put them into an Adaptar but still charge them the same amount of money.....and what lab has a special on house brand A/R this month??????? Did I mention that on my day off I'm a Frame Rep!?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    May I ask how many years of experience you have in the field? Also, do you have any certifications?

Banned
    four years experiance, no certs......but almost abo/vboc (Virginia boards).....will take in December.....just finished school

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    In Ontario the opticians generally make around $40,000 to $55,000.

However, there is a lot of demand for Opticians and little supply.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Vision West has recently published their 2005 wage report which lists salaries for opticians with all levels of experience and in all areas of California. I think that the range that I remember was from $28K to $52K based on years of experience and region. I could be wrong about the numbers but I think you could ask them to send you the CD on which which information is compiled.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a CD on the way..

Quote Originally Posted by ilanh
    Vision West has recently published their 2005 wage report which lists salaries for opticians with all levels of experience and in all areas of California. I think that the range that I remember was from $28K to $52K based on years of experience and region. I could be wrong about the numbers but I think you could ask them to send you the CD on which which information is compiled.

Banned
    I made $500 today selling frames to a doctors office......it took me about 3 hours

Thread Information