Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: fee for onliners

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    I dispense because it's a need that I enjoy serving, and I do it well. I am half optician, half optometrist, and half ophthalmologist. (Maybe a little overweight, too.)
    And I believe that you are a rarity in your profession. I have always regarded you as such. If your peers were as committed, Opticians wouldn't have to fight the chains for licensure alone.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy I am so happy to be able to communicate with fellow professionals.

We have to make a gross profit.

I used to go on VOSH trips for twenty years. Everything was free for the patient. We would supply them with used eyeglasses and in some cases where the RX was so high we made them new ones for free. That is when I decided that we were making a mistake doing it for free. Why not make them new ones for a price that they could afford to pay.

To continue providing the services we offer we have to continue make money.

Online eyeglasses to me exist because the public has to find another way to makes ends meet even if it means sacrificing quality to be able to see.

Think about it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    Am I to assume that you are not making a profit as well? Or is making a profit still our dirty little secret?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    And I believe that you are a rarity in your profession. I have always regarded you as such. If your peers were as committed, Opticians wouldn't have to fight the chains for licensure alone.
    Thanks, Judy. Unfortunately, organized optometry is at an ebb right now.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm afraid that most professional organizations are suffering right now. Perhaps if all three O's could work together, supporting each other,we could fight bigger battles like online retailers and mass-merchandisers. It's easier, I fear, to keep shooting at each other, while the bigger players pick up the pieces.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy, I believe you are missing the point on what some of us are saying. You say you fight and fight for Opticians and the profession in itself, but you're wanting to belittle it by offering those services to a patients in the first place and giving the impression that the glasses online are to the standard that you offer.

If a patient wants to "sacrifice their vision" to "make ends meet" as said above, that's fine, but I will not help them in their endeavor. As said in other posts, many places including my office will help a patient in regards to their budget so that's not an issue.

The probably outcome of online buing doesn't even cover the 50 bucks you would charge at the beginning anyhow.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, I missed that one. How is charging an appropriate fee for my professional services as a Licensed Optician belittleing my profession? Would I not be in the perfect position to provide unbiased advice and counsel on the eyewear selection?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you serious? You don't think by providing those so called "online services" that it doesn't in some way belittle what you do and what you provide as an independant Optician? I'm shocked at that statement coming from somceone that's been in this business for a long time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    Are you serious? You don't think by providing those so called "online services" that it doesn't in some way belittle what you do and what you provide as an independant Optician? I'm shocked at that statement coming from somceone that's been in this business for a long time.
    I think that providing any professional services for free, and we've all been doing it for years, belittles our profession.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you all really having alot of people requesting your services for online purchases? I've never had anyone inquire about my services, so that they can purchase online. Maybe you all just need to vent a little today! Go outside and play it is a beautiful day!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS
    Are you all really having alot of people requesting your services for online purchases? I've never had anyone inquire about my services, so that they can purchase online. Maybe you all just need to vent a little today! Go outside and play it is a beautiful day!
    ...ummm....nope.:) But we sure heated it up there for a while, didn't we.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...ummm....nope.:) But we sure heated it up there for a while, didn't we.
    Yea, I'd say so!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After charging for an eye exam, then charging a reasonable fee for the measuring and fitting I cannot understand why the rest of the job cannot be done in competition with online retailers.

Why not advertise specs at a price under theirs, then when the patient is in store offer them the option of measuring them up as an extra or for the advertised price just bang the OC's is using average values.

And to those who regularly refer to ethics did anybody in here get into optics to make a living and turn a profit?

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You need to merchandise effectively! You can always beat them at their game. If price is their objective make it a proposition they cannot refuse. At the same time you can explain your guarantees and what they are really paying for. Give them an education why.

Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    After charging for an eye exam, then charging a reasonable fee for the measuring and fitting I cannot understand why the rest of the job cannot be done in competition with online retailers.

Why not advertise specs at a price under theirs, then when the patient is in store offer them the option of measuring them up as an extra or for the advertised price just bang the OC's is using average values.

And to those who regularly refer to ethics did anybody in here get into optics to make a living and turn a profit?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If some one comes in for seg/pd take their money. I agree with Judy in that people will go where they want to go. If your if your good of nature and skills they may be back. As for the on-liners needing us,, they dont. If they stay away from PAL's, that is. The avg PD for an adult male in the US is 64mm, 61mm for a female. Most Rx's are under 2.75D(+or-) with less than 1D of cyl. You all know you have a lot of play till it's out side of ANSI. As for ST28's, I once knew an optician who put all seg ht's at 5 or 6mm below OC. It worked! very few problems if any(I dont recall any). They dont need us, we dont need them, but they DONT need us.:angry:
    Paul:cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    If some one comes in for seg/pd take their money. I agree with Judy in that people will go where they want to go. If your if your good of nature and skills they may be back. As for the on-liners needing us,, they dont. If they stay away from PAL's, that is. The avg PD for an adult male in the US is 64mm, 61mm for a female. Most Rx's are under 2.75D(+or-) with less than 1D of cyl. You all know you have a lot of play till it's out side of ANSI. As for ST28's, I once knew an optician who put all seg ht's at 5 or 6mm below OC. It worked! very few problems if any(I dont recall any). They dont need us, we dont need them, but they DONT need us.:angry:
    I agree, the patient has a choice and as long as the implications of that choice are made clear then I have no problem.
    Things change and you can either move with the changes, compete or potentially get left behind.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So be it! We have no obligation to make sure the customer/client relationship is a good one or not. What a terrible attitude!!! We are professionals or does it not matter any more?? I suggest if you have no repect for being in the optical field then go get a job as a beautician. You know they are licensed. They might harm you if hurt their scalp!!¡¡??

Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    I agree, the patient has a choice and as long as the implications of that choice are made clear then I have no problem.
    Things change and you can either move with the changes, compete or potentially get left behind.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy
    So be it! We have no obligation to make sure the customer/client relationship is a good one or not. What a terrible attitude!!! We are professionals or does it not matter any more?? I suggest if you have no repect for being in the optical field then go get a job as a beautician. You know they are licensed. They might harm you if hurt their scalp!!¡¡??
    Actually I thought we were discussing the VALUE of our professional skills. I do my very best to ensusre that customer relations are mutually satisfying, regardless of their origins, online or in-house. I have great respect for my profession. Why else would I have practiced it for so long? That being said, I began studying to be a secondary instrumental music educator (high school band director) and I would have loved and respected that profession as well.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why are people so aggressive in here? Is it the American way?
    I *chose* optics as a way to carve a living, I am not on a crusade!
    If optics moves then I will move with it or I will end up skint ranting on about the way it should be.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy- I am so glad us oldtimers are in this profession more than just for the money! Value for the $$$. Onliners to me are only in it for the buck. It is real hard to get a quality professional experience when you have to talk to a computer.

Actually I thought we were discussing the VALUE of our professional skills. I do my very best to ensusre that customer relations are mutually satisfying, regardless of their origins, online or in-house. I have great respect for my profession. Why else would I have practiced it for so long? That being said, I began studying to be a secondary instrumental music educator (high school band director) and I would have loved and respected that profession as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, ya'll have kept me chuckling all afternoon!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Would any of you refuse an eye exam to a patient who you knew would be purchasing CL's or spectacles on-line?

No!

But they are going to waaaaaaiiiiiiittttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy- I am so glad us oldtimers are in this profession more than just for the money! Value for the $$$. Onliners to me are only in it for the buck. It is real hard to get a quality professional experience when you have to talk to a computer.
    Yup...sometimes I buy my books at Costco or Amazon.com...sometimes I just have to go to Borders. Depends on who I want to talk to...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just a thought!

Is not Davis Vision the same as online retail!

I think it is the same thing

We are only good to take measurements!

Why shoud we make profit on frames and lenses!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY
    Would any of you refuse an eye exam to a patient who you knew would be purchasing CL's or spectacles on-line?

No!

But they are going to waaaaaaiiiiiiittttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    And the purpose of that rationale is......?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To service real patients!

Thread Information