Thread: Tiny black speck in lenses?

jkane1979

Tiny black speck in lenses?

I did a search here and in google, and couldn't find anything on this... On my new glasses (high index 1.67, with Crizal Alize coating), there are a couple very tiny black specks in the lenses. They are uncleanable, and seem to be permanently trapped in there.

Have you guys experienced this? Since i couldn't find anything in a search, i thought maybe this wasn't a common problem. Anyone know what causes this and whether it is something to be concerned about? For instance, if the existence of the black specks are the only problems, i'd probably not bring it back, since it doesn't bother my vision and i don't feel like waiting for new lenses. But if this is indicative of a bad AR coating, perhaps it's worth getting them re-done.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Don't know what it is. I would bring them back to get the office to look at it.

Bad address email on file
    My only guess would be if you wear a progressive lens, there are 2 reference points on each lens that are sometimes marked with a black dot. Try cleaning with pure alcohol or nail polish remover.

If not progressive then I don't know.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    My only guess would be if you wear a progressive lens, there are 2 reference points on each lens that are sometimes marked with a black dot. Try cleaning with pure alcohol or nail polish remover.

If not progressive then I don't know.
    We have to be careful there. The lenses might be poly. The safest bet is to get the office to do it.

jkane1979
    nope, these are single-vision. yea, i was afraid to wipe too hard, but i'm pretty sure they are permanently trapped in the lenses. there are 2 in one lense and 1 on the other. They are all at the lower part of the lense (hence not in my field of vision).

Thanks for the feedback.

Bad address email on file ldyflsh's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My first thought would be DO NOT clean the lens with nail polish remover...especially on an AR coating. Secondly, take the lenses back and have the Optician check them. I've seen defects in lenses that look like the black dots you've described. I've redone the job because of it. Good luck!:)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    yea it seems like something was caught in between the AR coating and the lens?

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you'd gotten those lenses from me, I'd expect to see them back and I'd have them redone. Sounds like a defect as far as I can tell, but your optician will know better when (s)he sees them. Good luck.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    No matter how carefully the lab and the opticians check, things do get by us. If this is the case,I'd take them back.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remember seeing black specks in poly a long, long, time ago.
    ...Just ask me...

Bad address email on file
    Quote Originally Posted by ldyflsh
    My first thought would be DO NOT clean the lens with nail polish remover...especially on an AR coating.
    Really, why? I do it all the time. A little polish remover on a kleenex never hurts AR.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    Really, why? I do it all the time. A little polish remover on a kleenex never hurts AR.
    Non-acetone nail polish remover is OK, IMO, on non-coated lenses. Acetone-based will destroy coatings and substrates, from my experience. Alcohol is semi-water soluble semi-organic soluble, and is bad for coatings, too.

Someone with 8 million times more knowledge on this will post. Probably Ryser.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Went by inspections.............

Quote Originally Posted by jkane1979
    On my new glasses (high index 1.67, with Crizal Alize coating), there are a couple very tiny black specks in the lenses. They are uncleanable, and seem to be permanently trapped in there.
    Due to the AR coating and the alize you have actually at least 3 to 4 different coating processes on your lens. Something might have come in between and as happens in the optical once in a while it got by 5 or 6 inspections without anybody having seen the problem.
    Bring em back...they will make you a new pair if it can not be corrected.

jkane1979
    thanks for the feedback guys... i'll take it back when i am near the office next :)

Thread Information