Thread: Finished VS SemiFinished Single Vision Lenses

OptiBoard Novice

Finished VS SemiFinished Single Vision Lenses

I wear Optima Hyper 1.66 glasses that are -14.5 for each eye. They are aspheric SV and fit into a 41-22-140 frame. Abbe is 32.

OD -14.50 -2.00 015 (no prism)
    OS -14.50 -2.25 155 (no prism)

I need new glasses soon. I will be using same frame size. My new RX should be almost the same...possibly -15.

I'm trying to learn of the different plastic brands on Mid, High, and Super-High Indexes before I go to my eye MD and his optician. (I'm deaf so it's
    always advantageous for me to know some info before starting conversation on pen and paper). CONFUSING...too many choices! Perhaps the optician doesn't offer all lens choices so maybe my chore of choosing will be easier (or limited!).

I feel the lenses (and their coatings) will be of better quality (and durable) if I select whatever brand (1.0 mm centers) is available as Finished from the factory to my optican's lab, meaning all the grinding and coating is done at the factory.

I should avoid any Semi-Finished Lenses (my optican's local lab grinds and coats the backside?).

I really want the same brand factory to use same brand coatings on same brand lens material so this is the reason I want the same factory to do everything. Your opinion?

I have no access to spec data on Lenses. I bet there is NO Finished lenses available for my RX so my question might be moot.

BTW, should I seek atoric lenses?

I am aiming for thin lenses with reasonable Abbe at reasonable cost. Perhaps I should just go for 1.60 with 1.0 mm centers and accept the slight increased thickness and save money. I'll probably replace my glasses more often such as every three years. My Optimas are 8 yrs old! I'm looking forward to the improved and durable coatings I read about. :)

I was told about the Hoya 1.70. Essilsor will offer 1.74 soon (if i read right). They'll probably be $120 to $200 extra over the cost of 1.60's?

(glass lenses and eye contacts are not an option for me)

Thank you for any advice. :)

Steve
    Last edited by mrcason; 05-03-2005 at 02:28 AM. Reason: adding a few words

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Sounds like you did your homework. Surfaced lenses or finished lenses are not going to make much of a differance, we have had problems with coatings on both. Besides I am sure that they are going to look finished lenses because they can make life easier (i am pretty sure that your prescription is available in finished) and atoric would be a nice touch. Just explain to the optician what you want. Keep in mind that if you decide to go with a high index lens you will really want to consider an anti-reflective coating. The higher the index the more resistance it provides for light causing increased reflections. An a/r coating will help reduce reflections and increase light transmittion. But these lenses are going to be pretty expensive. You can go with a 1.66 or 1.60 and try to find frames that have a small eye size and centers well with your eye. A plastic frames also hides much of the edge thickness.

OptiBoard Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    Sounds like you did your homework. Surfaced lenses or finished lenses are not going to make much of a differance, we have had problems with coatings on both. Besides I am sure that they are going to look finished lenses because they can make life easier (i am pretty sure that your prescription is available in finished) and atoric would be a nice touch. Just explain to the optician what you want. Keep in mind that if you decide to go with a high index lens you will really want to consider an anti-reflective coating. The higher the index the more resistance it provides for light causing increased reflections. An a/r coating will help reduce reflections and increase light transmittion. But these lenses are going to be pretty expensive. You can go with a 1.66 or 1.60 and try to find frames that have a small eye size and centers well
    with your eye. A plastic frames also hides much of the edge thickness.

Can someone tell me what is(are) the difference(s) between ASPHERIC lenses and ATORIC lenses. Thank you.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtolearn
    Can someone tell me what is(are) the difference(s) between ASPHERIC lenses and ATORIC lenses. Thank you.
    you might want to check out:
    http://Laramyk.com/learn/Principles_...ens_Design.pdf
    It was written by Darryl Meister he hangs out in the ophthalmic optics section quite a bit:cheers:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Essilor is coming out with a 1.74 (though I think it is out in Europe); however, unless something changes in the US it will not be available in the US.

I suggest sticking with a 1.67 (1.66). There are some very good coatings available in finished and semi-finished. You will probably have to go semi-finished, because I doubt that lens makers stock your RX. The difference will not have a difference on the coating.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Off the top of my head I can't think of any 1.66-1.67 lenses that come finished from the factory in your power. Most of the ones I know of top off at a combined -10.00.

Anti-reflective coating will make a big difference in your visual clarity in a high-index lens like this. I'd suggest going with the latest generation, particularly Crizal Alize or Zeiss Carat Advantage. They're relatively hard and have great cleaning properties. Of all the coatings I've used, these seem to have the best adhesion. Crizal labs in particular are very picky about what lens they will put their coating on, usually only Essilor lenses, so your choice of lens makers will be limited if you go with Crizal Alize. My experience with Hoya's anti-reflective coating has not been good.

I agree with the suggestion of aspheric/atoric lenses, but I can't think of any offhand that come in your power.

There are a lot of people on this board who know more than I do in this arena, so it'll be interesting to see what other posts you get.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve,

As mentioned previously there are no finished lenses available in your Rx, although Optima's 1.66 does go up to -15.00 without cylinder power in finished form.

Hoya's 1.70 has a higher abbe number (36) which should improve off-axis performance, but getting the lens positioned correctly in front of the eyes is much more important than the difference in off-axis blur between a 32 or 36 abbe lens. I just dispensed a Hoya 1.70 -14.75 -.50, so I would guess that a -14.50 -2.25 should be doable.

Essentially there is only one other choice if glass if off the table and that's Optima's Bi-concave lens. The front curve is concave (about -4.00 diopters). This degree of concavity is not too noticeable visually as well a cosmetically, and goes a long way towards decreasing edge thickness and ultimately weight.

Here are some tips on getting the optics and Rx optimized. Ask the doctor to include the "vertex distance" on the Rx and if possible perform an "over-refraction" while you are wearing your existing glasses. The optician should take monocular PDs, confirmed by marking the lenses using a pre-adjusted frame. Expect lens interference with the nose pads (if applicable) and adjust accordingly. The frame should place the vertical centers about 3-5mm below the pupil centers to minimize vertical decentration. Confirm that the vertical OC is 1mm below pupil center for every two degrees of lens tilt (panto).

Hope this helps
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice

Thank you ALL!

To all: thank you for your helpful replies.

It seems Optima has so-so coatings. I should go for Crizal Alize (Essilor) , Carat Advantage (Zeiss), or SuperHiVision (Hoya) FOR the same manufacturer LENS BRAND.

I will start another thread asking about the availability of atoric lens brands above 1.60. Seems like only one ...Optima's Resolution.

To Robert Martellaro:

What is the brand name of that Optima BiConcave lens?
    (In the past, I was told concave lenses causes extreme distortion and makes it difficult to get used to. So I requested flattened or slightly convex lens fronts)

Thank you for explaining ideal lens positioning. Do you mean my doctor should do "over-refraction" using my EXISTING eyeglasses? Why not just do that while I'm behind the refractor (is that what's it called?) without my eyeglasses?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro
    Essentially there is only one other choice if glass if off the table and that's Optima's Bi-concave lens. The front curve is concave (about -4.00 diopters). This degree of concavity is not too noticeable visually as well a cosmetically, and goes a long way towards decreasing edge thickness and ultimately weight.
    Is this correct? I cannot see how it would affect edge thickness or weight.
    Maybe i'm having brainblock.

Thread Information