Thread: Moving to the Republic of Texas...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Moving to the Republic of Texas...

Well pardners, it became official today. We'll be a loadin' up the kids and the dawg and headin' out to the Lone Star State- probably in late June or early July.

I'll miss Tampa, but it seems like Dallas is a nice enough place to raise a family as well.

So, for all you Texans out there, watch out- another family of dang Yankees is a comin'.

Yee-haw, pass the BBQ and one of dem dare ribs! (Did you know Dallas has more restaurants per capita than New York City?)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well.........you knew it was coming.......

You have to promise me one thing. That you will look Darris up and give him a hug from me! That ought to make him speechless!! :bbg:
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    You have to promise me one thing. That you will look Darris up and give him a hug from me! That ought to make him speechless!! :bbg:
    Harry, if Pete's going to Dallas, he's more likely to run into you than into Darris. I once drove to San Angelo, and while I've never been to Mongolia, San Angelo would be my nominee for "city furthest out in the middle of nowhere". On several levels, come to think of it.

So Pete, where 'bouts y'all lookin' t' settle? Dallas is mah old stompin' ground, y'all know...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I lived in Houston for 10 years and my only warning: "There is only one place hotter than Texas." Nice folks there though, in Dallas they are very big on one-upsmanship. People more abitious and hard working than most places.

Chip

Another warning on the weather: I have seen it flood in minites and have seen a good snow in the morning and gone swimming in the afternoon.

Occupation
    Chip,

I was born and raised in Houston - and now live in Dallas. There is a world of differences between them weather wise.

PETE - don't move up my way. There are no yankees allowed North of Lewisville.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good Luck, Pete.

Less likely to get hit by a hurricane.
    Cowboys fans to put up with.

I think you're getting the short end of the stick.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I am not a Yankee, I'm a Dang Yankee (and proud of it)! Of course, my wife hails from Alabama- so I'll have to ride her coat-tails in Dallas...

We're looking at Highland Village, Lewisville, Southlake, Westlake, Flower Mound, Grapevine, etc. Being close to DFW is more important than being close to Stemmons Avenue (although with the impending widening of I-35, I'm debating whether I want to live somewhere where I'll need to depend upon it).

What community do you live in, and how do you find the drive? (I wanna move right next door and fly my Pennsylvania state flag ;^).

I'd like to be near one of the lakes (the kids want us to get some jetskis, and I'm having to dangle carrots in front of them to get them enthused about moving).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Oh, btw- I've visited Darris (and Chad- remember him... he used to post here occasionally) in San Angelo shortly after I joined Essilor. The directions I would give to San Angelo? Start anywhere on the planet and keep driving away from any sign of civilization you see, and you will eventually end up in San Angelo (mighty nice people though- of course, you'd HAVE to be ;^).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    I'm in Denton, Pete. About 10 minutes north of the lake. Can get to DFW in 30 minutes - unless I go right during peak traffic.

We almost bought in Highland Village, but settled a bit further out. In Flower Mound you need to check the house against the flight patterns. We looked there too, but with as much DFW traffic as there is... and as low as they are over FM. We decided not.

You'll have to let me know where you end up.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Ok, Darris is there, my baby bro moved there, my parents are moving there and now you? Perhaps it is a sign from above that I should move. If it weren't for the fact that I loathe the Dallas Cowboys (as all good 49er fans should) I might think about it. I could probably talk Bill Benedict into giving me a job. :bbg: Think of all the Hoya business I could steal!!!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I met Mr. Benedict and his daughter at a Vision Expo recently- it was interesting talking to what may be the most successful ophthalmic laboratory entrepreneurs (sp?) on the face of the planet...

As for the Cowboys, are they still an NFL team? I thought they were playing in the Big 12 now (you know- that minor league NCAA conference). Oh yeah, as you can see, I'm going to fit RIGHT in to the atmosphere of Northeast Texas!
    Actually, I'm really looking forward to becoming a Longhorn fan- that's where I've decided Pierce will be going to university. Hookem' horns!!!

The jets don't bother me too much anymore- we currently live right under the North approach to Tampa International Airport (I can say with some authority that the tire brand most preferred on Delta jets is Bridgestone... not quite that bad, but close). We've looked at some developments up near Denton- which my wife likes (especially since traffic is a non-concern to her housewife self). Flower Mound has the advantage of having a lot of communities with Elementary schools built right in- the kids could ride their bikes to school (meaning the housewife wouldn't have to get up in the morning- another plus, from what I hear).
    ;)
    Anyway, y'all come on over Karen- to the great REPUBLICAN Republic of Texas. Save yourself and your kin folk before the big one occurs and California slides into the Pacific! We'll find you a good job with Omega!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Hey Pete!

Congrats on the move. Just remember that the Sabbath is not on Sunday. In Texas it is Friday night!! Football is a religion there.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    Anyway, y'all come on over Karen- to the great REPUBLICAN Republic of Texas. Save yourself and your kin folk before the big one occurs and California slides into the Pacific! We'll find you a good job with Omega!
    My babysitter is moving there too....hmmmm......
    Omega????? Can you see me as an ELOA lab chick??? After all the bad things I've said about ELOA??? :p
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Get yourself a ridiculous hat and a license to carry a concealed weapon. Get your wife some "big" hair. Learn tex-mex Spanish, learn to love BBQ and tex-mex cooking.

I've spent a lot of time in Dallas, what can I say? It's one helluva big improvement on Houston (gotta hand it to the salesman who sold metallic toned reflective glass in that market, woooo-eeeee!!!!). I'd be interested if the Dallas downtown area has been upgraded, had been going downhill for a long time, not unlike a lot of major metros.

Public schools I believe are a cut above Florida for what it's worth.

Anyway, good luck!!!

Go Cowboys, Hook Em Horns, yada yada yada.....

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete, you don't need a ridiculous hat, a black Stetson 4X beaver will do just fine. :) On you it will look like a 10 gallon anyway!!!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Pete, get in touch with Clay Musclwhite, you likely know him, he was my Vx rep way back..he'll clue you in to the No. Texas scene. If you're looking at moving to Southlake area, save your bucks, Grapevine more affordable, but prepare for serious traffic problems going to Carrolton...I sort of miss the No.Texas scene since moving to Ct. in October...Tex.

marquess
    ab
    Last edited by marquess; 05-16-2005 at 07:01 PM.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Actually, Clay is now with Hoya's marketing department (Hoya has their HQ in Dallas as well).

Fortunately, Essilor has a great relo package, so we have a realtor set up in Dallas- and, everyone at the home office is naturally giving us all sorts of suggestions regarding neighborhoods.

The internet is a huge help as well. We're able to look at houses, find out which schools are in the area, and even look at the school ratings on-line. It looks like the schools in the Flower Mound and Coppell areas are mostly all exceptional.

As for the cowboy hat, I've wanted one for a long time, but the wife says (probably correctly) that I would look ridiculous in one (but I do have a pair of leather boots).
    ;)

Our house went on the market yesterday, and we've already had two enthusiastic lookers... keep your fingers crossed (btw, real estate in the Tampa area was evidently a good investment over the past three years)!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete,

Check out Mansfield. It is out side of Dallas and our friends live there in a gated community with a golf course. He travels the entire country and says it is convenient to DFW. They have a 10 year old son.

I love Texas and wouldn't hesitate twice. Enjoy. BTW-Saw the Lancaster Cronies at a dinner meeting with Tim Fortner speaking this last Friday at the Hershey Lodge.

Best of luck.
    bev

Thread Information