Thread: optical magazine

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

optical magazine

I was just wondering if you had a wish list of things that you would like to see in an optical magazine what would they be?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Centerfolds.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Jokes aside, less marketing, more factual comparisons between products. A consumer reports type of reporting.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Yeah a Consumer Reports meets Omni/Discover type of thing.

In depth reports on the manufacturing process (in Asia/Phillipines etc) and it's affects on the people/environment in those countries would be interesting.
    Chimperial Optical-what a great place to work!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I prefer to see products with new ideas and please get rid of "who is who" page! Who cares!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Magazines are biased........................

Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG
    I prefer to see products with new ideas and please get rid of "who is who" page! Who cares!
    Optical magazines are very biased and will never report any new products with new ideas because the guy with new ideas does not have the "bucks" for heavy advertisng.

These magazines will give you a line or two for such things, and that is the end of it. However if one of the major corporation has a "sniffle or some diarreah" they will make a big fuss.

It is all going along with the big advertising dollar and nothing more. However I got to give credit to one and only magazine "Optical World" a world wide publication which is very fair and loves to print what you suggest.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Optical magazines are very biased and will never report any new products with new ideas because the guy with new ideas does not have the "bucks" for heavy advertisng.

These magazines will give you a line or two for such things, and that is the end of it. However if one of the major corporation has a "sniffle or some diarreah" they will make a big fuss.
    Then the next question should be, "How much are you willing to pay for your subscription?" These trade mags offer some very interesting information as well as adverstising, AND they are FREE to ECP's.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser

It is all going along with the big advertising dollar and nothing more. However I got to give credit to one and only magazine "Optical World" a world wide publication which is very fair and loves to print what you suggest.
    I think many of us realize the above takes place but, the original question was for a wish list of things we would like to see.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    ccccc...............:cheers:

I wish to see magazine editors to list more smart ideas for small independents to fight against big chains instead of seeing numbers of % growing on big chains page after page and month after month!

Occupation

Redhot Jumper More lookers than magazines..........................

Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG
    I wish to see magazine editors to list more smart ideas for small independents to fight against big chains instead of seeing numbers of % growing on big chains page after page and month after month!
    Jerry, it will never happen.................i have fought them for years.........they are fully 100% biased and only support an idea if it comes from one of their big bucks advertisers.

However I have according to my research (at :http://optochemicals.com/web_ratings.htm ) the fourth most visited website in the otpical manufacturing and supplier section.

So I just had an idea...........I will start a page on my site with what you have suggested at no charge whatsoever (as long as you are not a competitor of mine)and can guarantee you that it will have more lookers than your magazines can give you for a lot of money. Just send me the material and it will be on line within a day or two.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    I was just wondering if you had a wish list of things that you would like to see in an optical magazine what would they be?
    I'd like to see an industry magazine that published real news and not just Press Releases. Over the last few years one of the biggest underreported stories in this industry has the loss of American jobs because of out-sourcing to other countries. Not that you would know this by reading the major optical publications.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the magazines were to publish something other than news about the optical business I would like like articles on how to reduce the cost of health insurance for both employers and independent business owners.

Bad address email on file Lawrence Yau's Avatar
    In fact, when I first join to optical industry in 2004, I also looked for some optical magazine to know more about the market trend. In Hong Kong, there are few such kind of magazine. I just find a magazine called "V.Magazine". I have brought a number of magazine (e.g 20/20) from Vision Expo east. I can find many new design(may be the concept is a year ago). As my company is responsible for designing and production, I understood that designer wont publish their new ideas so do I. As I know that many factoriese will copy it and sell it to other. But even the magazine cant show me the real "new" concept, I think I can guess by my mind the direction of the big optical Coporation.:)

Occupation

Optiboard is a better solution.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol
    I'd like to see an industry magazine that published real news and not just Press Releases.
    The news usually starts with a press release. The follow up on those press releases make the story.

What you did not mention was that they industry magazines publish mostly press releases that deal with who has a new frame line or Mr.X went from being VP of one company to being VP of another one.

Doing stories on job losses in the industry might damage relations with an advertiser and therefore they will not do it.

Taking a stand is political, you might be liked by one and not by another. If you are not liked by one, you will not get his advertisng dollar, therefore they stay out of any controversial subject.

I have made this expirience several times in realty over the last few years and my respect for the trade publications industry is very low. I think that your Optiboard is a much better and more valuable and faster way of passing on interesting news.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Chris,

This is a bit off subject, but speaking of outsourcing, are there any frame manufacturers based in North America? Even the companies based in Canada/USA are simply peddling Korean/Chinese/Taiwanese product. That is not to say that all product from there is junk, but it does take some filtering through to find good suppliers. I figured that if anyone would know it would be you.

AA

Occupation

None left...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan
    This is a bit off subject, but speaking of outsourcing, are there any frame manufacturers based in North America? Even the companies based in Canada/USA are simply peddling Korean/Chinese/Taiwanese product.
    AA
    As far as I know there are no major frame manufacturers left in North America. Maybe some safety frame and sports frame people are left.

Even some of the oldest European manufacturers like Metzlerand Nigura were bought by Moulin a couple of years ago. Even the Italians have their sources in the far east.

Frames made in the Far East todayare of old European class and quality if you want. You can even have your own name on them.

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation

Member of the "evil press" checks in

Running the risk of Optiboader wrath here, I'd like to mention that yes, there are many truths here, but publishing - like dispensing - is not black or white but grey. In other words, there are plenty of good articles and credit education courses out there, but sometimes you have to read between the lines to glean the info you're looking for. Publishing is indeed profit-based...so is the entire optical industry. The only way you'll get a totally impartial mag is to pay a heavy subscriber fee for it. There's a lot of footwork, research, interviewing, and hard work involved in getting out a story. Time spent chasing down sources, finding resources, and following up on PRs or putting together an enterprise story is extensive. Staff must be paid. Art dept must be paid. Support staff must be paid. Production dept must be paid. Outsource must be paid. The price of paper alone is staggering. The Internet hasn't caught on enough for a pub to go entirely virtual, but even then there are production costs, etc. Yes, mags need to make a profit, there's no shame in that. They are supported by advertisers. But some trade mags are more impartial than others, some obviously so. Savvy readers can figure out the value of a mag or story by "reading between the lines" and pulling out what they need from some mags, while other mag's unbiased stories are available as well. Until/unless a mag can have a large, consistent, supportive, paid subscriber base (which is hard to do, especially in a small industry), it can't make it without advertising. Look at your local newspaper as an example...they have many paid subscribers and some advertising. This allows them to be more unbiased than a mag, but not totally so. Hope this helps y'all understand, it's meant to inform, not be a downer or a rant.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlen McLean
    Yes, mags need to make a profit, there's no shame in that. They are supported by advertisers.
    So why not solicit Auto makers and fast food restaurants? We opticians drive cars and eat, just like everyone else.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation

Business can also be fair.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Karen McLean
    They are supported by advertisers. But some trade mags are more impartial than others, some obviously so. Savvy readers can figure out the value of a mag or story by "reading between the lines" and pulling out what they need from some mags, while other mag's unbiased stories are available as well. Until/unless a mag can have a large, consistent, supportive, paid subscriber base (which is hard to do, especially in a small industry), it can't make it without advertising. Look at your local newspaper as an example...
    Thank you for admitting the facts. ............................

Still, magazines could or should have a section or a page or a few pages that would contain press releases that could not be influenced by regular advertisers. "If you print this you loose my advertising dollars" a phrase everybody in the magazine business has heard before.

In the optical news field the little guy does not have a chance of being mentiones.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, Karlen. Well said. Our "little" industry, like our "little" businesses need to have enough money to cover more than just expenses. When some customers complain about the price of eyewear, we are quick to justify them based on our expenses, our service levels and the need to show a profit, if not just for ourselves but perhaps for a lending institution. The publishing business is no different than any other. Every time I read one of our trades, I learn something, and that makes the advertising that pays for my free subscription worth a lot to me.

Occupation

Can not afford............

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    Every time I read one of our trades, I learn something, and that makes the advertising that pays for my free subscription worth a lot to me.
    Judy, an old saying.............................there is nothing for free in this world of commerce. For the freebe in these magazines you are getting one sided, one way information.

I am sure you pay a subscription fee for your "Wallstreet Journal" or equivalent, but you get the bad news on some company or the good one about another as these publication do not OWE favours.

Surely as a good optician you could afford to pay for a subscription to an un-biased optical magazine. I have never yet seen a good optician looking fo a bed at the salvation army.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Without advertising to help underwrite the costs, I'm not sure that I could. The Washington Post and all the other magazines to which I subscribe contain advertising. The subscriptions are not free, but not nearly as expensive as they would be without selling advertising space. I don't see the information as one-sided as you do. At the very least it is no more one-sided that the views of the Washington Post vs. the Washington Times. I like to think that I'm savvy enough to see the difference between "puff" and "substance".

Occupation

optical magazines collecting

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Yau View Post
    In fact, when I first join to optical industry in 2004, I also looked for some optical magazine to know more about the market trend.
    Well, I've tried hard to find some good optical magazines and their websites, but few were found. Could you please kindly let me know the professional optical magazines worldwide ? :) I'd like to subscribe and collect optical magazines from various countries, could you please give me some suggestion and advice? thanks!;)

Occupation

Blue Jumper Optical listings...................

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy-sgcc View Post
    Well, I've tried hard to find some good optical magazines and their websites, but few were found.
    Go on my website listing there are now 618 optical websites listed, there is also a section for magazines.

You can find it at: http://optochemicals.com/web_ratings.htm

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    As far as I know there are no major frame manufacturers left in North America. Maybe some safety frame and sports frame people are left.

Even some of the oldest European manufacturers like Metzlerand Nigura were bought by Moulin a couple of years ago. Even the Italians have their sources in the far east.

Frames made in the Far East todayare of old European class and quality if you want. You can even have your own name on them.

Ah, but there is at least one:
    http://www.shuron.com/
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information