Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clipons Kill Profits

Bad address email on file

Clipons Kill Profits

Spring is here and so are the billboard ads we see every year. Beer is one. Clipon sunglasses are another. But before you buy a case (of clipons that is), look at what's most important: The customer experience first, and retail profit second. Both are hurt by clipons.

The Compromise.

Which would you rather have. A sofabed? Or a separate sofa and bed. Sure, a sofabed is convenient and cheaper. But the metal bar in the centre of the mattress will hurt your back. Plus, you have to choose between sitting in the bedroom or sleeping in the livingroom. With combination products there is always a compromise. Clipons, as well as photochromic lenses, are combination products. They don't fit well, add weight or glare, and don't look as good. Whatever the type, there is some compromise. Does your corporate strategy include a customer compromise?

Cannibalization.

Look at the sofabed again, but this time as a retailer. Which will give you the greater profit? Selling one sofabed? Or a separate sofa and bed. The answer is obvious. You might have all three in your home but who's going to buy glasses, sunglasses and clipons? If you are offering both options to your customer, you are missing out on some revenues. Essentially, you are competing with yourself on price, eating away your own profits.

By offering Rx sunglasses only, you are free to explain the disadvantages of clipons to the customer. How could you possibly be honest about the disadvantages of clipons if you are trying to sell them? The only disadvantage of a separate pair of sunglasses is the price. Most customers will spend the money if they know the benefits. And I firmly believe that offering the best option is a better strategy than offering the cheapest option.

Eliminate the compromise and you eliminate the cannibal.

Jason Carruthers
    from THE NOiSEPAD BLOG
    http://noisepad.blogspot.com

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Jason,

You missed the added labor/hassle factor.

Often the rx lenses bend the frame slightly, then clip doesn't fit.

Often rx lens base curve too steep. Clip doesn't fit or rubs lens and scratches.

Often clip is thrown in case with rest of frame, clip edges scratch rx lenses.

Clip heavy, patient constantly in for frame and nosepad adjustments.

Can you tell I despise clips and the headaches they cause?

Harry

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Clips are not the best solution, but they are popular. It is necessary to promote the best solution, but there is a large segment that just wants a clip.

When it comes down to it many people just want something cheap, so a pair of RX suns is not what they are looking for.

As for it not being as attractive profitly, if you give the customer the right product for their wants and needs you will always be profitable.

Here is a suggestion, try packaging clips and transitions. Then the customer can through the clip in their glove compartment. This allows them to have protection in the car, but without having to carry around a clip or a pair of suns with them.

Occupation
    I have a good representation of clip eyewear from Aspex, Magic clip, and Safilo to name a few. However, they are only a back up for when folks bock at the complete sunwear package.

Clips can also give a negative status symbol impression sending the message "Look at me....I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy a decent pair of sunglasses." One of the concepts I convey to my patients is suggesting they try to play in a golf tournament with just one club or fish in a tournament with just one rod or lure.

I know we're preaching to the choir but our society has been brainwashed by the SUV metality that one choice can provide it all: Style, function, economy, & performance.......NOT!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life

Here is a suggestion, try packaging clips and transitions. Then the customer can through the clip in their glove compartment. This allows them to have protection in the car, but without having to carry around a clip or a pair of suns with them.
    In my office this is almost a given for elementary school teachers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We all know that the best solution for any issue must be dedicated solely to solving that issue. But what you're saying is "reading glasses and distance glasses are best, because each does what it does better than multifocals do either". And we all sell ALOT of multifocals, don't we? I expalin that the best solution is a dedicated pair of sunglasses, and I offer photochromics and clip-ons. I ALWAYS give pros and cons to products (can you imagine a salesman telling you that the SVU you're looking at guzzles gas and can roll over easily?). It's up to the patient to determine what is best. If they don't like them, they'll come back and buy sunglasses next time. If I don't have them to offer, I may loose the customer for life.
    ...Just ask me...

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    . If I don't have them to offer, I may loose the customer for life.
    I really agree with this one!

Very Very interesting!

We all know that the best solution for any issue must be dedicated solely to solving that issue. But what you're saying is "reading glasses and distance glasses are best, because each does what it does better than multifocals do either". And we all sell ALOT of multifocals, don't we? I expalin that the best solution is a dedicated pair of sunglasses, and I offer photochromics and clip-ons. I ALWAYS give pros and cons to products (can you imagine a salesman telling you that the SVU you're looking at guzzles gas and can roll over easily?). It's up to the patient to determine what is best. If they don't like them, they'll come back and buy sunglasses next time. If I don't have them to offer, I may loose the customer for life.

This is the best post of the year. Why does everyone sell multifocals? Isn't it better to get one pair distance with AR and Transitions, and one pair near with AR coating? Yes it is. But you COMPRIMISE to give the patient the convienence of having ONE pair for everything. (progressives) So you add the clip, and that is the most CONVENIENT pair of glasses for a patient. I sell a lot of magnetic clip ons, and patients come back and buy again, and they refer their friends/family because we have such a nice selection. We also sell a lot of polarized sunglasses as second pair, but for those that can't afford two pairs, they will spend the extra on the the frames with the clip, so it works out in the end.

Occupation
    I have to change the subject a little bit. A pair of distance and a pair of near are not better than a pair of multifocals. The reason being is a multifocal allows you to read and see into the distance conviently where two pairs do not.

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    I have to change the subject a little bit. A pair of distance and a pair of near are not better than a pair of multifocals. The reason being is a multifocal allows you to read and see into the distance conviently where two pairs do not.

A near pair lets you see through the whole lens at near. A distance pair lets you see through the whole lens at a distance. Multifocals limits you on near and far. A multifocal lets you see everything without changing glasses, and a clip on lets you see everything without changing glasses. Same concept, convienence.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    A near pair lets you see through the whole lens at near. A distance pair lets you see through the whole lens at a distance. Multifocals limits you on near and far. A multifocal lets you see everything without changing glasses, and a clip on lets you see everything without changing glasses. Same concept, convienence.
    Not really, you still have to carry the clip around with you and many people lose their clips by doing so. There is not much of a difference between carrying a clip around and carrying a pair of sunglasses around. Additionally, if you are talking about switching from readers to distance in comparison to clear to sun I think you will find a much more frequent switch between readers and distance. You only need to put your sunglasses on in the bright sun, and if you do not have them you can suffer, but you are constantly changing from reading to distance and if you do not have one or the other it is a problem.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    But what you're saying is "reading glasses and distance glasses are best, because each does what it does better than multifocals do either". And we all sell ALOT of multifocals, don't we?
    Brilliant analogy that bespeaks a deep knowledge of optics...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Killer Clips!!!!

Face it, clip-ons, even the most advanced magnetic type, are primitive in the fact that your are merely holding the filter in front of the Rx. There is another surface to contend with, more reflections, and so on...

Having said that, clip ons are a great way to introduce MY customers to Rx sunwear. The consumers know clips are cheesy. That's why they didn't buy them from my competition. My competition doesn't sell clips, but they do take the time to point out why. (They're no good, and we don't make any money off them). I carry over 200 magnetic clips and over 650 sunglasses. Many of my customers take the cheap way and get the clip, but after they begin to appreciate the polarization with their Rx, they "graduate" into full-fledged Rx suns. We discount our suns with the purchase of a clip because we know they'll be back to buy the suns.

I also sell a ton of otc readers. I stock over 400 readers, and sell them all for under $15 each. Why ? Because presbyopes use readers and I kind of like the opportunity to get as many presbyopes into my stores as possible. Why ? Because while my competition is talking about "warped lenses, induced prism, and mismatched pupil distances", I'm selling their former customers their first pair of readers, and eventually, their first pair of progressives, their first pair of clip-ons, their first pair of Maui Jims, and so on.

YES YES YES ! Clip-ons do kill profits. They kill YOUR profits, when I sell them to your customers.
    :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by Johns

YES YES YES ! Clip-ons do kill profits. They kill YOUR profits, when I sell them to your customers.
    :cheers:

Amen!! Preach on brother!! :cheers:

Occupation
    While on the topic of clip sunwear, lets not forget other alternatives such as those offered by fitovers and live eyewear.

These are also good opportunities to introduce someone to polarized sunwear. Plus the newer styles are right up there with some of the latest sunwear fashions. We often sell multiple pairs of these as a husband and wife will purchase a pair to keep in each others car.

Upon presenting polarized lenses to patients they often question me "Is this something new?" I pleasantly respond we have been selling it for years but feel it is important enough to let everyone know about it. Although some things go better unsaid, it certainly implies their previous optician has failed his or her professional responsibilities in meeting the patients vision needs.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Ugly Ugly....................

Face it, clip-ons, even the most advanced magnetic type, are primitive in the fact that your are merely holding the filter in front of the Rx. There is another surface to contend with, more reflections, and so on...
    Clip were the poor mans sunglasses in the old days. Not these day's, opticians that push them are cutting into their own business and sell an accessory that is old fashioned and ugly, even if they pretend to be nice.

Whenever you sell a clip on, you will NOT sell an RX pair of Sunglassesses and there are a few bucks you dont make, plus the customer does not have the ultimate he deserves.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikef
    I really agree with this one!

Very Very interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Brilliant analogy that bespeaks a deep knowledge of optics...
    You flatter me...Stop, you're embarrassing me.
    ...Just ask me...

Bad address email on file

Confused

20/20 Came out this month with a POLL, Sunwear dispensed
    19% clips
    28% Plano
    51% Rx Complete

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It never ceases to amaze me that just because their customer doesn't want the best, many practices feel they shouldn't sell them anything at all.

Why do steak houses have hamburger on the menu ?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Why do steak houses have hamburger on the menu ?
    Come to Calgary, all the true steakhouses only have steak on the menu, no hamburger.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Clip-ons will cut into your profit if you do not explore the option of stand alone rx sunwear first. Many offices would be surprised how many more pieces they would sell if they just asked their clients about rx sunwear. Clip-ons should always be availible to get (we only sell custom clip, nothing in house), to not alienate clientele but stand alone sunwear should be the first product offered.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper SUV prices.....................

Quote Originally Posted by PAkev
    I know we're preaching to the choir but our society has been brainwashed by the SUV metality that one choice can provide it all: Style, function, economy, & performance.......NOT!
    You can preach the choir at full force................but the economy is very fast changing these day,s.

The SUV's are not selling these days. Just saw a dealer in Fredericksburg VA with 100's of them in stock.
    The other expensive items are available at pay no downpayment and no interest until 2007. Perfect signs for a coming recession. Gaz prices at $ 2.33 average along the east coat from Florida to Canada

Poeple will be holding back on big time spending. The fear of rising interests with its upcoming results, rising prices, fear of a job loss, credit card debts, coming stock market crash, more and more big company mergers resulting in job losses for thousands, are the signs for opticians to start tuning down.

Two old the old and well known optical lab companies as Walman and Soderberg are merging. If each one would have been successfull lately they would not even think of merging but continue by competing. Therfore this merger will probably eliminate agin a load of jobs and closure of many labs in their service areas.

Optical retailers should prepare for an upcoming rough time. Doing so means tune down on pushing expensive eye ware. Have it on premises because there are always poeple that have money in general exonomic turn down,

But start thinking towards good quality basic services and let the customers know that you can provide it and that you are not only a SUV seller in the optical field.

Start rethinking your in house service capabilties. Do you own tinting, UV treatments, scratch resistant treatments and you can even do your own slick coatings on AR coated lenses in house. Do these services as much as you can and you will make instantly higher profits without becoming more expensive.
    Whatever you can do with your own hands will be a saving and a profit for your operation.

Start looking the other way when the multinationals large corporations are hitting you with their big time advertising that will cost you and your customers the SUV prices that they do not want to spend in their very near future.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I am not sure of the relevance of my situation, I am in a position to have multiple pair of RX sunglasses. I do have one pair of Sunsensor Rx glasses, but keep clip on sunwear in my cars, very convenient on sunny days. I had many pairs of Rx sunglasses but they were never in the same place as I was!
    Maybe a combination of the 2 options is what we need.
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Occupation

dreaming of .....................

Quote Originally Posted by jofelk
    Maybe a combination of the 2 options is what we need.
    You are totally right....these 2 options always existed for the last 60 years.

However lately all these specialised clip on manufactureres who make clip ons according to shape and make of the Rx frame and are charging an arm and a leg for their made to measure clip ons want to make the clip on a fashionable must.

Clip ons should be an inexpensive and basic alternative that should make every customer dream of having a decent pair of sunglasses in his or her prescription.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Good point about the expense of custom clips, Chris. We use a company called Star clip and they have numerous lens options and the ability to match the frame colour exactly. I believe they use a coloured foil applied to the clip. Increased options = increased price, which is really a double edged sword. With the higher price, the client has higher expectation of quality (durabilty of finish, lenses staying in place, fit of clip), but let's be serious clipons are not intended to outlive the frame. They get chipped, bent, lenses fall out etc. So in the interest of customer service we have taken a loss on some of the clips. This is something we don't see with RX suns. Now prior to order clips being ordered the pros and cons are laid out.

Thread Information