Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Luxottica 1Qt with the 3 O's

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina
    At some point many of these companies bypassed us and pushed us out of their equation by marketing to our patients/customers directly and "forcing" us to buy in to their expensive marketing blitz.

Doc
    Amen to that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

calm down everyone.

You, as the professional optician are the "BRAND" Your expertise is the "Brand" your fashion savvy is the "BRAND" ...etc. The designer label is just that. For the few that ask for a certain name....give them what they want, but in my short 16years I have sold frames from upstate NY to South Texas and designer labels is overwhelmingly not what the patient is looking for. I do not sell Luxottica (no offense to the reps..they are great peolpe) and it does not hurt us. I sell fashion from 15 dollar frames to 125 frames (our cost) and my "Brand" is what they walk out with. They leave telling friends and family MY NAME! Look ladies and Gent's, it is a piece of metal....put your own brand on it!
    Craig
    PADRE ISLAND.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by iwear2020
    You, as the professional optician are the "BRAND" Your expertise is the "Brand" your fashion savvy is the "BRAND" ...etc. The designer label is just that. For the few that ask for a certain name....give them what they want, but in my short 16years I have sold frames from upstate NY to South Texas and designer labels is overwhelmingly not what the patient is looking for. I do not sell Luxottica (no offense to the reps..they are great peolpe) and it does not hurt us. I sell fashion from 15 dollar frames to 125 frames (our cost) and my "Brand" is what they walk out with. They leave telling friends and family MY NAME! Look ladies and Gent's, it is a piece of metal....put your own brand on it!
    Craig
    PADRE ISLAND.
    No offense, but that's a relatively unsophisticated take on what branding is all about, not to mention designer labelling.

Brands are big business. We are not.

I get your point, though.

Bad address email on file lilchiken's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Blue Jumper Luxottica

Quote Originally Posted by Mikef
    Just in!

Luxottica was up 8% in the first Qt with independents.

March was 2 Million $ more than any other month EVER. (EVER)

Why?

Brands
    I'm soooo glad my stock is doing so well!!

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Quote Originally Posted by LENNY
    to MikeF!
    You said P.S. How much do Silhouette and Lafont frames cost. About the same or more than most brands. So the customer should pay more and not even get a brand?

I think that Silhouette and Lafont earned their price by making quality stuff and amazing design for a number of years.
    Yes nobody was asking for Silhouettes frames 5 yaers ago but they do now .
    they earned it.
    Now Lux is just purchasing labels and I am sory if you think i am wrong but their quality went down a lot.
    You sold their core line!
    Those frames were indestructuble!
    But they were actualy MADE in Italy!
    And how would you know their quality,Lenny??
    And its great,by the way . If the frame breaks then that's what a warrenty is for...hello??

Bad address email on file
    A brand is simply a word that stands for something.

If the something is positive, the customer wants the brand.
    If the something is negative, the customer doesn't.
    If the brand is unknown, the customer will decide based on the name, product, salesperson, price, etc.
    Every frame has a brand. The only difference is, does the brand stand for something meaningful to the customer?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Post Luxottica

Yes-I agree London.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Interesting, because I have talked to several Lux or former Lux reps who are hurting.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    lilchicken!

Why would I know their quality?!
    Only because I sell them to MY customers!
    Only because I wear them myself!
    Only because I sell them for the last 15 years!
    Is this enogh?

Are you trying to say that the quality of Luxotica products went up?
    If so in what brand. And how do YOU know?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The best brand names are synonymous with a particular category of product.

Transitions = lenses that darken
    EasyClip = magnetic clip ons
    Acuvue = disposable contact lenses
    RayBan = sunglasses
    Lenscrafters = eyeglasses in one hour
    OptiBoard = online community for eyecare professionals

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by LENNY
    lilchicken!

Why would I know their quality?!
    Only because I sell them to MY customers!
    Only because I wear them myself!
    Only because I sell them for the last 15 years!
    Is this enogh?

Are you trying to say that the quality of Luxotica products went up?
    If so in what brand. And how do YOU know?
    How would I know their quality??
    Only because I've worked there for years!!
    Only because I wear them myself!!
    Only because I sell them to MY patients( which is what they are because it IS a medical device,Lenny)!!!
    is this enough??

Quality has ALWAYS been great.
    THAT is why we make the big $$ honey.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Interesting, because I have talked to several Lux or former Lux reps who are hurting.
    what are you saying-clarify please
    hurt how?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by lilchiken
    what are you saying-clarify please
    hurt how?
    not making money

Not making the money that they used to

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Maybe for a rep but I'm sure making the money that I'm used to.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Are You Feeding the Giant Global Optical Machine?

Why would anyone want to help Mr. Del Vecchio's family become more mega wealthy when they are the number one competition unless you have a vested interest in their holdings or stock portfolio?

Look at what most of what they own as of today alone...

Luxottica Group S.p.A. engages in the design, manufacture, distribution, and marketing of prescription frames and sunglasses in the mid-and premium-price categories. The company operates in two segments, Manufacturing and Wholesale Distribution, and Retail Distribution. The Manufacturing and Wholesale Distribution segment engages in the design, manufacture, wholesale distribution, and marketing of house brand and designer lines prescription frames and sunglasses. Its brand portfolio includes house brands, such as Ray-Ban, Revo, Arnette, Killer Loop, Persol, Vogue, Luxottica, and Sferoflex; and designer lines, such as Chanel, Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, D&G, Versace, Bulgari, Miu Miu, Salvatore Ferragamo, Donna Karan, DKNY, Genny, Byblos, Brooks Brothers, Sergio Tacchini, Anne Klein, Moschino, Versus, and Adrienne Vittadini. This segment’s wholesale customers include retailers of mid- and premium-priced eyewear, such as independent opticians, optical and sunglass chains, optical superstores, sunglass specialty stores, and duty-free shops. The Retail Distribution segment operated a retail network of approximately 5,700 optical and sun retail stores in North America, Asia-Pacific, China, and Europe, as of June 23, 2006. It also sells watches and accessories under the store names ‘Watch World’ and ‘Watch Station’; and personalized gifts under the store name ‘Things Remembered’. Luxottica Group was founded by Leonardo Del Vecchio in 1961 and is headquartered in Milan, Italy.
    Remember names such as LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, Cole Vision, etc...Eyemed, ECPA, Vision One, Cole Managed Care, etc...
    They are all around us.
    Since Dave Brown left his position as CEO the "Heart" that drove wonderful programs like Gift of Sight have been replaced with competitor buyouts and total focus on stock earnings.
    Management personnel within their chains are earning salary ranges lower than they paid out 15 years ago.:hammer:
    I am a former GM of LensCrafters and enjoyed my 401k and stock while I was there.
    Although I have admiration and respect for their business success and model we choose not to help feed the giant.
    We specialize in unique frame lines and superior lens selections and quality with exceptional customer service but also maintain the necessary balance in coordination while working with major insurance plans like VSP and Superior Vision but we will not carry any Luxottica product.
    LenCrafters is even being remodeled in specific locations to tailor to this high end boutique market as seen this year in 2020/mag.
    Business is Rocking! :D

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Don't buy Luxottica frames

What designer frames I buy depends entirely on what our patients are asking for. Several years ago, people used to ask for Armani, so I bought Armani, even though I had to buy them from Luxottica. That was the only thing I bought from Luxottica and only because patients asked for them. People who asked for these frames wouldn't buy anything else.

Patients stopped asking for Armani a few years ago! Now I don't buy anything from Luxottica.

Make no mistake, Luxottica is your competition and they are trying to put you out of business!

They own EyeMed, an insurance plan, which they are using to try to put the independent out of business by controlling what the independent is paid and by taking business away from VSP and others. They own one of the few frame factories in the world. And of course, they own Lenscrafters, which if you remembered when they first bought it, they claimed that they would not run any sales or discount eye exams in any way, etc. Didn't happen. They discount like crazy. Who would have guessed??

In our office, designer frames come in and out style. When patients ask for them (right now, they ask for Silhouette and Gucci), I buy them. Then depending on the economy and who knows what else, designer frames go out of style and I don't buy them.

The only reason to buy anything from Luxottica is because patients are specifically asking for those frames. Otherwise, there are plenty of other designer frames to buy without helping out your competition.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Post Wow!!!

I'd love to know when Luxottica supposedly stopped GOS when they have more missions then ever.:cheers:
    Alot of haters on this board,although I can understand it.I guess.:p
    I think that the numbers speak for themselves.:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can you tell me 1 reason we have to love Lenscrafters and Luxottica?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Blue Jumper Ha

:p No- especially since they take away your "customers" . Because the consumer is sucked in by the wonderfulness that is LensCrafters.:hammer:

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by cattoy
    Since Dave Brown left his position as CEO the "Heart" that drove wonderful programs like Gift of Sight have been replaced with competitor buyouts and total focus on stock earnings.
    :D

Luxottica Honored with Presidential Award - 11/16/2004

Ron Brown Award Recognizes Give the Gift of Sight Foundation

(Mason, OH) November 16, 2004 — Today in Washington, D.C., Secretary of Commerce Donald L. Evans presented the Ron Brown Award for Corporate Leadership to Luxottica Retail, home to multiple optical, managed vision care and retail brands, including LensCrafters. The company was recognized for its Give the Gift of Sight Foundation, a program that has provided free eye care to more than three million people in local communities and developing countries. The program aims to provide the Gift of Sight to 7 million people worldwide by 2008.

Accepting the award during ceremonies at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building was Kerry Bradley, Chief Operating Officer. Luxottica Retail was one of three corporations to receive this award for corporate citizenship, including JP Morgan Chase and KeySpan Corporation.

Fully funded by the private sector, the Ron Brown Award is the only Presidential Award that recognizes companies for outstanding achievement in employee and community relations. Sponsored and managed by The Conference Board, one of the world’s leading research and business membership organizations, the Award was established by President Clinton in honor of the late U.S. Secretary of Commerce Ron Brown.

Based on the belief that vision is a basic human right — not a luxury — Luxottica Retail’s Give the Gift of Sight program provides free eye care and glasses to people in need around the world. To date, associate volunteers, doctors and vendors have traveled on 80 Gift of Sight international missions — delivering recycled glasses collected and processed in LensCrafters stores to developing countries in partnership with Lions Clubs International. In North America, the program provides free eye exams and new glasses on two Vision Vans and through store voucher programs. Local charitable partners help choose candidates based on visual and financial need. One of the biggest Gift of Sight programs, Sight Night, takes place on Halloween, when Gift of Sight volunteers, community groups, students, and others collect used glasses while trick-or-treating. The glasses collected are given to people in need on Gift of Sight international missions. "I am proud to present Luxottica Retail with the Ron Brown leadership award this year,” said Secretary Evans. “Luxottica Retail has demonstrated real vision in going above and beyond what is required to serve the needs of the community. The company exemplifies what it means to be responsible corporate citizens and its efforts are to be commended.” “We are honored to receive this prestigious award,” said Valerio Giacobbi, Executive Vice President of Luxottica Group. “We are proud of our volunteer associates doctors and vendors who support the Gift of Sight programs. We appreciate our customers who generously donate used eyeglasses. We look forward to growing the Gift of Sight programs and providing eye exams and glasses to people in need throughout the world.”

One of the problems with Optiboard is the amount of bad information that is posted! Not just in this thread but in many others.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Give me a break!

Luxottica owns one of the frame factories! So, to give them big kudos for collecting USED, BROKEN, DIRTY, UNWANTED frames from the public and donating is nice, but NOT great!

Don't we all collect frames and give them to Lion's Club?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While I am not the biggest Lux fan, when it comes to the Gift of Sight it is more than just collecting used frames.

As a regional captain, I held yearly vision van missions for our local inner city students that helped 3-500 students. These vans travel North America 26 weeks out of the year in similar mission capacities.

Volunteered to help at 2 week vision van missions in Chicago where 2500 kids were helped 2x a year. Three other sites have also been chosen to focus on domestic missions.

Each store in the first week of December hosts hometown day with an average of 40 people in need helped.

Each store averages around 100 people helped each year through Gift of Sight on Site and Voucher programs with the Lions Club.

These programs all give BRAND NEW GLASSES to each person in need.

They are now doing 12 international missions a year, collecting the majority of the glasses on their own and rely on volunteers to man a recycling center in Cincinnati to prepare them database entry and packaging for mission trips.

Each mission trip is helping 30-40 THOUSAND people.

Yes, I collect glasses for the Lions Club like so many. But how many of you neutralize them, clean them and repair them for use again. Or go on the trips to conduct exams (yes they do an exam and not screening) and deliver the glasses?

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper when many of these big companies were much .................

Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina
    I do recall the time when many of these big companies were much smaller, much friendlier, and much more attentive to their customers needs.

................just solidifies my belief in creating your own brands, importing overseas branded/non-branded eyewear and staying clear of the multinationals trying to direct/control you,
    Doc
    Doc, you just said it all....................lets hope that some of it actually sinks in at some places.

Maube with the economy slowly getting, where it should have gone for a while consumers will tend to go optical retailers that are promoting what you said above.............not only in frames but also in lenses.

Friend of mine just came back from visiting an ex B&L executive in Rochester NY. Rochester also the home of Kodak and Xerox has seen massive layoffs of long time employees like many other industrial centers. The bubble seems to be burstinng right now.....................what then ?????????

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Post Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee
    While I am not the biggest Lux fan, when it comes to the Gift of Sight it is more than just collecting used frames.

As a regional captain, I held yearly vision van missions for our local inner city students that helped 3-500 students. These vans travel North America 26 weeks out of the year in similar mission capacities.

Volunteered to help at 2 week vision van missions in Chicago where 2500 kids were helped 2x a year. Three other sites have also been chosen to focus on domestic missions.

Each store in the first week of December hosts hometown day with an average of 40 people in need helped.

Each store averages around 100 people helped each year through Gift of Sight on Site and Voucher programs with the Lions Club.

These programs all give BRAND NEW GLASSES to each person in need.

They are now doing 12 international missions a year, collecting the majority of the glasses on their own and rely on volunteers to man a recycling center in Cincinnati to prepare them database entry and packaging for mission trips.

Each mission trip is helping 30-40 THOUSAND people.

Yes, I collect glasses for the Lions Club like so many. But how many of you neutralize them, clean them and repair them for use again. Or go on the trips to conduct exams (yes they do an exam and not screening) and deliver the glasses?

Cassandra

AMEN Jubilee!!!

Would opticians rather not let these people that GOS is serving not have anything at all?? Not to see?

and Who pays for these trips around the world to help others see??

Those glasses are ultrasonicked and neutralized, and alot of glasses are brand new when given.

The ignorance astounds!! :drop:

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Post read the above post

Quote Originally Posted by docandk
    Luxottica owns one of the frame factories! So, to give them big kudos for collecting USED, BROKEN, DIRTY, UNWANTED frames from the public and donating is nice, but NOT great!

Don't we all collect frames and give them to Lion's Club?
    Yeah-I'm writing to you.

Your ignorance boggles the mind.:drop:

Thread Information