Thread: First time b/f wearer

OptiBoard Novice

First time b/f wearer

I have just been given a rx of +1.25 each eye and an add of.75 each eye with .50 astigmatism in one eye and.25 in the other. I spend time on the computer as well as reading various materials, giving presentations, board meetings, I drive, play golf, etc, i'm in my early 40's. My question after all of that is does anyone have any suggestions for the kind of no line lense to inquire about before I go to an eyeglass shop. Thanking you in advance for your time and suggestions.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go visit an optician! This question is to difficult to answer on line.
    Last edited by CME4SPECS; 03-25-2005 at 12:20 PM.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Do you presently wear glasses full time?
    If not, I would try a combination of a single vision Transitions for your distance vision, and a office/computer lens of some sort for computer, reading and meetings.
    I would be reluctant to fit you with a progressive as I don't feel 1) The .75 add warrants a PAL and 2) You may initially find the reading area restricted compared to a single vision reader or a office/computer lens. If you are keen on going with the progressive lens (it is a very convienient choice) be aware you may have to compromise some of you expections for reading. Good luck, I'm sure someone can refer you to a good optician in TO.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Not to put words in........

Not to put words into CME's mouth but what I think the Optiwizard was trying to say in his somewhat curt reply was:

There are a couple of lenses reviewed in the "product review" forum.Try there first. If you want to go further every major lens manufacturer has their own website where you can conduct further research. Try "Essilor", "Sola", "Younger", " Shamir" "Hoya" "Definity' and "American Optical" in your search engine.They all make excellent products.If you are confused after your research, consult an eyecare professional near you and explain your lifestyle and visual requirements and I am sure he or she will design lenses you will be happy with.Yours is the sort of question it is difficult to completely answer online.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 03-23-2005 at 07:32 PM. Reason: misspelling
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    Not to put words into CME's mouth but what I think the Optiwizard was trying to say in his somewhat curt reply was:

There are a couple of lenses reviewed in the "product review" forum.Try there first. If you want to go further every major lens manufacturer has their own website where you can conduct further research. Try "Essilor", "Sola", "Younger", " Shamir" "Hoya" and "American Optical" in your search engine.They all make excellent products.If you are confused after your research, consult an eyecare professional near you and explain your lifestyle and visual requirements and I am sure he or she will design lenses you will be happy with.Yours is the sort of question it is difficult to completely answer online.
    All of those sites are going to tell you how wonderful their lenses are.
    Don't over research this...go to see a qualified optician and take his recommendation.
    Coming on this board and asking which pal is best for you will generate about 85 different opinions!
    Last edited by CME4SPECS; 03-25-2005 at 12:14 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

First time........................

Quote Originally Posted by first timer
    .......................does anyone have any suggestions for the kind of no line lense to inquire about before I go to an eyeglass shop. Thanking you in advance for your time and suggestions.
    Your prescription is simple easy as well as your age is perfect for progressive lenses adaptadion.

Progressive lenses are basically all the same. You need as much as possible a good reading area and that means you need a frame with good height (the small little frames will not do that).

Dont buy the most expensive versions as you are only paying for the name and nothing more.

See a good optician, dont go for the highest priced options, learn how to use the glasses and find out what you like or dont like so in 2 years when you have to change you will know what you want and need.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HCJILSON
    I missed the rude part in MY comment! YOUR response was uncalled for!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your optician will need to determine which manufactuers make a .75 add power. That will narrow the choices substantially. Then ask the optician about using a newer "soft design", something like Shamir's Genesis or Varilux's Comfort. You're probably not used to wearing glasses so ask for an anti-reflection coating. This will eliminate reflections on the inside of the lens surface. Excellent for night driving also. You probably won't have problems seeing the monitor until the add power is 1.75 or higher, about five to ten years in the future. You probably won't need the glasses for daytime golf.

Hope this helps
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information