Thread: Suncloud Sunglasses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Question Suncloud Sunglasses

Hello All!

I was wondering if anyone out there has heard anything in regards to the Suncloud line of sunglasses. I know they were no longer making glasses as of a few years ago, however, I have heard that there either is a company out there that has started making them again, or is doing repairs on them.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by bandk; 03-22-2005 at 03:29 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    as I recall, Suncloud was discontinued about 10 years ago by Serengeti. I quite liked them.... Still have a pair kicking around somewhere...
    Shwing

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I know that Baush & Lomb was carrying them back when they were also carrying Ray Ban, but once B&L stopped carrying the Ray Ban line and Luxottica took over, Suncloud was in limbo. Don't know if this will help the quest.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by bandk
    Hello All!

...............anyone out there has heard anything in regards to the Suncloud line of sunglasses.
    Not being familiar with "Suncloud" could anyone enlighten me with what was so special about it ?

Frame............Lenses..........maybe it can be redone or reproduced in a more modern way

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Suncloud had a very distinct rose colored lens. It was darker than both the Serengeti Sedona lens and the Maui Jim Rose lens. I haven't been able to find anything out there that is even close in color and with the same optical quality.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    And I forgot to mention they were polarized as well; at least most of thier models were. I believe they also made a brown lens but that was not what they were known for.

Occupation
    Suncloud had a very distinct rose colored lens. It was darker than both the Serengeti Sedona lens and the Maui Jim Rose lens. I haven't been able to find anything out there that is even close in color and with the same optical quality.
    Sounds close to my new blue-blocker color which is much lighter than they used to be and can be tinted over.

Every time Serengeti is mentioned the talk is usually about high contrast tints, which are not that hard to come up with.

We do have one color that is a rose colored high contrast color which some of our customers use specially for golfers.

Maybe you could give me some more details on effect and use.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Looking through the world through rose colored glasses!
    I carried Suncloud for years and never saw one that was polar. I have a few lenses here and they are not polar. They were glass, double gradient mirrors with rear a/r coating. The lens was awesome to ski with, it offered very good contrast. Looking through the world through rose colored glasses!It also was the best lens to wear when shopping for a used car. I had a pair on once while looking at a used car and I picked up on the mismatched paint on a rear quarter panel that had been replaced from an accident. The color of the panel matched perfectly without the glasses and with the glasses on the mismatched colors stood out like a sore thumb. I showed the salesman and it blew him away!
    You can find them on the net.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Now that I think about it, the actual ones that they were known for were not polarized. They did make one that was polarized and it had more of an amberish tint to it, possibly CR-39. I recall them being more red than rose. To me, rose would be more of a pinkish tint like the Serengeti Sedona lens and they were much darker from what I remember. It was a high contrast lens. Anyway, it is unlike anything I have seen on the market today.

Occupation
    ............ Anyway, it is unlike anything I have seen on the market today.
    I believe we are bacjk to what I said before the new light blie-blocker which is exactly as you describe without a tintover.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I think this was a product which was distributed by Wilshire Designs some years ago. Was a take off from the Vaurnet/ Bolle products but had a dark rose (vermillion) glass lens with a brown coating on the back with A/R and a double Gradient mirror on the front.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Years ago, you could get the lens in rx. Jack Jue from (I think JB Optical) was the sole distributor of the lens in the US. The lens came from Japan.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Correct, Wilshire Designs was the distributor.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Z
    ...........................the Vaurnet/ Bolle products but had a dark rose (vermillion) glass lens with a brown coating on the back with A/R and a double Gradient mirror on the front.
    Thank you Peter..................memory blanks............you just came up with the right name.

We had been asked to come up with that color 2 years ago, made it and it works for the ones who want it. This means you can get the dye for it and do it on plastic lenses.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Sunglass Hut bought the rights to them a few years back and released them under the name "24Karat". They weren't around for very long.

OptiBoard Novice

Suncloud repairs

I too have Suncloud sunglasses - my favorite set ever. I'm more attached to them than I am to my oldest pair of Levis. Problem is the hinge that attaches the temple to the frame is about to break, and I can't find anyone in Tampa who can repair it. I've visited Lenscrafters and a couple local eyeglass shops, but no luck. Anyone have any suggestions - is this user sericeable if I can get a hinge?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I found the Suncloud Incline by just "googling" it. If your ever in doubt google it. You would be amazed at the information that is just floating arround out there.

Thread Information