Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Optical Web Page!

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I like this page.

The left side is a little off but I like what he has done with the menu.
    http://www.theopticalhouse.com/

Occupation
    This one has just the right amount of info.

http://www.bostonsbestoptical.com/

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    ]
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life

Easily to navigate

This is a basic must on any website. You have to understand the linking of pages and text so that people can easily go forward and backwards.

Information is clear

Whatever the information is on a website, clear or un-clear is of no importance. I could give you some real ugly ones that are successful.

What makes a difference that there is a lot of good text and minimum of pictures.

Appealing as far as looks go

That is an artistic plus and looks will not affect success.

Look at the YAHOO home page………as ugly as anything and it is the best of all of them

Updated frequently

Here you are saying the right thing. This is one of the most important points.

Can be navigated by anyone (too many sites are too update and have too many graphics that it is either too slow or too hard for many to use it.

All sites that start with flash systems and music take an eternity to upload the first page. Usually they do not even make the ratings.

Actually all that counts is your ratings

Google PR rating / Alexa traffic rating

when a website makes these 2 ratings, you guaranteed to get search engine listings. When you have that you will also get the audience/visitors and then depending how interesting the site is the more often people will come back.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    ]

Actually all that counts is your ratings
    Chris,

Are you kidding!

All that counts is what the site generates.

You can have 10000000000000000 hits a day and if they spend 2 seconds and bail you have nothing.

If I don't like a site I'm gone. If I can't find the info I need fast I'm gone.

I don't think it is a simple as right and wrong.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Occupation

Redhot Jumper There is a lot more .....................

Quote Originally Posted by Mikef
    Are you kidding!

You can have 10000000000000000 hits a day and if they spend 2 seconds and bail you have nothing.

If I don't like a site I'm gone. If I can't find the info I need fast I'm gone.

I don't think it is a simple as right and wrong.
    Mike, you got a point and are totally right in what you are saying. It is true that the average person hits on a website and stays 1-2 seconds. My site makes about 4 minutes average which is pretty good for the amount of visitors bailing out as you say.

However if you get a site to be heavily listed. indexed and presented so that it will respond to thousands of questions on search engines you have it made, because the site responds to soecific questions and leads you to an answer.

Of course there is a lot more to it to make a site popular. I should know, having brought a stagnant website to the best visited commercial optical site over a period of 2 years.

You have to carefully watch your statistics from hits, to pages viewed, to transfer of bytes to visitors time spent on site and then immediately start to work at counter measures when you see the figures starting to drop.

In general shopping cart websites do not work, unless you work in some mass selling product and promote lowest prices. I have not found one yet that has a decent ranking in the optical trade

So I am admitting that there is a lot more to it, as you have been stating. A lot of time consuming detail work. Of course I would not give away my own discoveries and systems to make it work in my own case. Who would want a competitor adopting techniques that you have found to work to your advantage.

Occupation

Ranking has changed...........................

Just in a period of 3-4 days the traffic ranking has changed.............

March 25
    Actually Optiboard has the highest traffic rating of any optics related websites with an Alexa rating of 70,601 as of today. Yahoo has a rating of 1 (the highest) In the optical:

1) Optiboard 70,601 (up in ranking)

2)ZEISS 89,051 (up in ranking)

3) Optochemicals 90,304 (up in ranking)

4) ESSILOR 246,226 (down in ranking)

5) SOLA 581,109 (down in ranking)

The first 3 sites have gotten better ratings and ZEISS has taken No 2 spot while are ESSILOR and SOLA are in the same spot while having gone down in traffic ratings

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Chimperial Optical-what a great place to work!

Occupation
    Cute!!!

Occupation

Good construction .......................

Very nice construction of a site that does have hundreds of links. All cute and seemingly non commercial. If you go on the home page at http://himonkey.net
    you can see that this site has been made for fun only while promoting the ophtahlmologist and the dentist on a side line.
    It also has a good traffic rating of 269,219, so it gets a good amount of visitors.

Occupation
    Just in a period of 3-4 days the traffic ranking has changed.............

March 25
    Actually Optiboard has the highest traffic rating of any optics related websites with an Alexa rating of 70,601 as of today. Yahoo has a rating of 1 (the highest) In the optical:

1) Optiboard 70,601 (up in ranking)

2)ZEISS 89,051 (up in ranking)

3) Optochemicals 90,304 (up in ranking)

4) ESSILOR 246,226 (down in ranking)

5) SOLA 581,109 (down in ranking)

The first 3 sites have gotten better ratings and ZEISS has taken No 2 spot while are ESSILOR and SOLA are in the same spot while having gone down in traffic ratings
    How dose this traslate to sales volume?

Who are the top 10 Optical companies in volume?

Optiboard would not count of course.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Sales volume........................................

How dose this traslate to sales volume?

Translation into sales volume: Law of average
    The law of average means that you get 1 or 10 or 100 (or whatever amount) of interested visitors per let's say 1,000 hits. These visitors will look at 1 - 2 - 3 or more of the pages that have responded to a search question. The questions asked can be of pure interest or any other reason. This is why any webmaster interest is to get as many hits as possible because only a small percentage of the actual visitor will be a buying customer. Therfore the more traffic your site attracts, the higher the hits and along with the percentage of actual sales contact is going up.

There are 2 different types of commercial websites:

A) Selling websites: usually equipped with shopping carts for direct sales and payments. On these sites one can buy just about anything on the web.
    Very often they offer merchandise at heavy discounts.
    Search engines do not like them as the webcrawlers do not like pictures and frames of which most of these sites consist. Therfore if these sites do not pay for heavy advertising on the web they will not get listed and become a flop. I know quite a few optical shopping cart sites which have traffic ratings that are worse than bad. I have not seen one yet that even covers the cost. While a few like E-Bay and for example the Optiboard Shop have exremely high traffic ratings and must be doing well.

B) Informative websites: promoting name, products, services, descriptions, instructions, actually acting as partial or full company catalogue, accessible from anywhere in the world at any time of day and night.

Probably the majority of commercial websites are this type. They do not translate hits into sales, like you can not translate advertising in magazines into direct sales.

A site has to be made so that the targeted traffic comes back to your site periodically because they can use your site for a reference on the subject or product you work on or sell.

A distributor of mine has made a catalogue he told me, costing him $ 40,000 plus postage to his customers. This catalogue is redone on a yearly basis. He could have had a full blown website for a fraction of that price and could have changed products, announcements, prices and many more things on daily basis.

You have total flexibility and huge savings on publicity cost with a website.

If your website has the right traffic numbers they will develop into business relations at some point, but it can not be measured in Dollars produced by a certain number of hits, which may work with solution A above.

I will answer question two after having done some checking and will come up with the top ten optical websites and their ratings.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 03-26-2005 at 10:29 AM.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Top Ten Optical Websites..............................

Took me a while but I think I got it. I found two more hig ranking sites and went just about through everything else I could get my hands on. So if anybody can find some more with better traffic rankings let me know.

My own site has dropped to no 4, but I have a related site that made number 8 so I am not so unhappy.

I compiled all of it on a special page on my website. I made two sections . one under 1 million and the second one for sites over 1 million. The big surprise that some real good sites do not get much traffic. So it looks like I was right with my previous arguments.

You can go directly to that page by clicking on the link:

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 03-26-2005 at 02:40 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance

Great site. I really enjoyed looking through it.

Doc

Occupation
    Took me a while but I think I got it. I found two more hig ranking sites and went just about through everything else I could get my hands on. So if anybody can find some more with better traffic rankings let me know.

My own site has dropped to no 4, but I have a related site that made number 8 so I am not so unhappy.

I compiled all of it on a special page on my website. I made two sections . one under 1 million and the second one for sites over 1 million. The big surprise that some real good sites do not get much traffic. So it looks like I was right with my previous arguments.

You can go directly to that page by clicking on the link:

Chris,

I was actually looking for the relationship of the biggest optical companies and web sites?

Or how important a web site is!

What are the top 10 optical companies and how does their web page rate?

How does you company rate with others?

More Homework Chris. I'm too lazy to do it and really don't know how!

Occupation

Blue Jumper You are right up to a certain point....................

Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina

Great site. I really enjoyed looking through it.

Doc
    Doc, You are right it is a superby designed site, both in Russian and English (which is the major website traffic). Lots of money spent designing this site which georgeous and elegant.

Here comes the critic:
    There is NO address on the whole site.............You do not know or can find out who this is..............there are no outside links except internal ones for site navigation ones...............I have found a page were they will present the latest sunglass line for 2003................tranfers into updating problems.

Here comes the result: By having a good looking site Google gives them a 4 which is about the best for a regular commercial site. Very few make it higher than that. If this website would have corrected above mentioned points it would increase a Google rating by 1 or 2 points.

Traffic rating: 1,348,176, there is some important time consuming work to be done so that this site will be widely indexed by the search engines after the periodic we crawling process. Resulting in a superb site that can not be found easily and therefore the Alexa rating which is nothing to be proud of.

Occupation

Blue Jumper He wants the sky ...............................

Chris,

I was actually looking for the relationship of the biggest optical companies and web sites?

Or how important a web site is!

What are the top 10 optical companies and how does their web page rate?

How does you company rate with others?

More Homework Chris. I'm too lazy to do it and really don't know how!
    Dear too lazy,

Happy Easter to you. Instead of doing your homework I am going to make 2 pounds of rye bread dough, which I going to roll into a flat sheet, then wrap it around a whole smoked ham and the bake it for an Easter meal for 10 people.

The bread dough will become very crusty, absorb the ham juices (like a good lens absorbs UV). The bread crust will be eaten instead of something like potatoes. Simply delicious.

I just gave you the answers you wanted to know and you will get no more website techno advise on questions you should be able come up with your owns answers. You are working for one of the large corporations, so pop the questions at your next sales meeting. I have given you a list which has now become part of my own website...........out of my own reasons.

How important a website is you can find out by going on my website navugate around and find the statistics and you will know. As for the 10 most important companies make up your own mind...............to me the most important one, is my own......my daily bread and butter.

My company must rate.........at least on the web..........2 times among the first 10 best visited optical websites while being a small corporation.

Now I am going to enjoy Easter Sunday and wish you the same.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jtart2
    Here's my website
    custom-eye-care.com

Check it out and tell me what you guys think!
    Thanks
    Joe T, OD

TICK ON EYELID!!!!!!! That was Nasty!

Occupation
    Dear too lazy,

Happy Easter to you. Instead of doing your homework I am going to make 2 pounds of rye bread dough, which I going to roll into a flat sheet, then wrap it around a whole smoked ham and the bake it for an Easter meal for 10 people.

The bread dough will become very crusty, absorb the ham juices (like a good lens absorbs UV). The bread crust will be eaten instead of something like potatoes. Simply delicious.

I just gave you the answers you wanted to know and you will get no more website techno advise on questions you should be able come up with your owns answers. You are working for one of the large corporations, so pop the questions at your next sales meeting. I have given you a list which has now become part of my own website...........out of my own reasons.

How important a website is you can find out by going on my website navugate around and find the statistics and you will know. As for the 10 most important companies make up your own mind...............to me the most important one, is my own......my daily bread and butter.

My company must rate.........at least on the web..........2 times among the first 10 best visited optical websites while being a small corporation.

Now I am going to enjoy Easter Sunday and wish you the same.

Ok how about this.

How much growth does a web page produce?

Is it worth the time or money?

Is advertising better?

I have found many of the larger companies in the business have poor web sites and update them very little.

Why?

Has anybody noticed a large increase in business after starting a site?

Reason I ask. I have many cutomers that ask me weather web sites work in optical. If so what makes them work? And what is most effective?

Occupation

Here we go again......................

I have found many of the larger companies in the business have poor web sites and update them very little.
    Because they dont know, dont want to spend the money or dont believe in it

Has anybody noticed a large increase in business after starting a site?
    Never..........it takes time to get crawled............indexed and then be found.
    Once you have a good site.............yes it will increase business.
    When you go on a website it is because you want to, and looked for it.

Reason I ask. I have many cutomers that ask me weather web sites work in optical. If so what makes them work? And what is most effective?
    Search engine recognition, indexing, and ratings.

To make it most effective..........lots of text......very little pictures..............no moving cartoons................ frequent updating.

I have added many more optical websites to my list including their ratings.
    you cand still see them at:

http://optochemicals.com/web_ratings.htm

Occupation
    BAOSHANK: All I got on your website was 9,999,999 little square boxes

Occupation

Wave

I just rechecked and it cam up perfect. I cut the address right from site and paste it again below:

http://optochemicals.com/web_ratings.htm

there must be something wrong with your computer

Occupation
    Chris, that was for BAOSHANK, I guess I should have sent a PM

Occupation

chinese

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    BAOSHANK: All I got on your website was 9,999,999 little square boxes
    maybe u need chinese language enabled . well it looks chinese 2 me
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    Okay, other than the obvious Keith Benjamin's Laramy-K is hands down the best optical web page I've navigated.
    I missed your comment first time through, Jedi. Thank you very much!

-K

Thread Information