Thread: Customer expectations

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Customer expectations

After not having done much dispensing for the last 10 to 12 years I'm finding myself dispensing again due to staffing needs.
    I'm surprised how most patients don't expect them to fit great when they leave the store. I get replies like, I think they're Ok, or I can always come back to have them adjusted again. I also get patients back that will wear incorrectly fitted glasses for a couple months and suffer rather than expecting great fitting eyewear for the price they pay.
    What's up?
    Rich R.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Discount eyewear places!

Not licensed sales people dispensing!

No enforcement from anyside!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that you have a staffing problem. Now you are actually able to see what your staff has been doing.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I understand what you are saying and here are my thoughts:

I really think it is the society we live in which many folks are expecting things done "drive thu style." Many patients won't bother to call and ask a convenient time to come in but when they show up and have to wait a few minutes, feel they are wasting their time, then when it is their turn expect us to fit fit and/or adjust their eyewear while they are yakkin on their cell phone.

Unfortunately, the same thing often applies in the dispensary as the patient walks in to pick up their new eyewear and construes their presence as "unwelcoming" when the staff rushes them through the dispensing process in order to get back to what they were doing when the patient came in.

Another big problem I see is that many "sales people" do little to build the patients confidence in their eyewear other than saying which frame looks better on them. Therefore, the customer has little to be excited about except for parting with a few sheckles.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Mistake..........good, we will never make it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich R
    I'm surprised how most patients don't expect them to fit great when they leave the store. I get replies like, I think they're Ok, or I can always come back to have them adjusted again. I also get patients back that will wear incorrectly fitted glasses
    You are lucky it happened to you. Obviously you are the boss who discovered a major problem in your company. You can now take the neccessary steps to correct this matter which will take some changes and supervision and yoou will be ahead of your competition.

Alway's take a negative discovery like this one as a positive sign to improve your business and not make the same mistake again.

Thread Information