Thread: Flexon Kids Frames - Tough to Get?

OptiBoard Apprentice

Question Flexon Kids Frames - Tough to Get?

Optical Board Pros –

I am having trouble receiving my son’s Flexon Kid’s 90 ‘cocoa’ frames I requested about one month ago. The aspheric-poly lenses are ready. However, it seems these frames are on back order and Marchon continues to slip their back-order date. I am working with an independent, local optical group that has a focus on pediatric eyewear. They have been very attentive with helping me manage this issue and I do indeed trust them. I have asked their opinion about perhaps switching to another frame and/or manufacturer as the back-order date for Flexon Kid’s 90’s has slipped again. With all respect to them, they understandably would limit their recommendation to frames they sell, which is fine.

My questions are:

1. Should I have faith that Marchon will actually hit their back-order date of March 24th for Flexon Kid’s 90’s? Any experience with them?
    2. Are these frames worth waiting for?
    3. If not, any recommendation of a good alternative that would be in-stock would be welcomed.
    4. Any thoughts on expediting this process would be welcomed as well.

P.S:

Thanks to this board from a father who just wants his son to see all the beauty in this world as clear as possible, everyday. I know there has been some discussion about limiting this board to professionals only. For my part, this board has helped me be a better parent for my incredible son. I am not sure you could ask for something more satisfying as a group of professionals than helping someone be a better, more attentive, and informed parent.

A sincere thank you for all of your wisdom.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Flexon frames are excellent. Has your optical shop offered to get one of the same model and size in a different color while you wait?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    oops!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    consumer, these are great frames for kids, and yes they have been on back order. check if your optician can get a loaner frame, diffrent color, till yours come in. good luck and let us know how it comes out.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Marchon is a great company and the Flexon frames are very well made. As you probably know, the frames come from overseas and backorder release dates are projected dates, many times additional delays can occur. If I was you I'd go get a frame that they have in stock, if they have one that fits well and looks good. Perhaps another Flexon in a different style and color.

OptiBoard Apprentice

They have offered, but they do not seem available.

Perhaps, with the exception of ‘Pink’ frames. I do not want to sound shallow, but I find it hard to put my son in ‘Pink’ frames. He currently has glasses. However, he is in need of a new pair as he has grown so much.

I am confident in the optical group I am working with and I am glad I found them. I am sure they are doing all they can. If these frames are worth waiting for, I will wait as long as I can within reason.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You mentioned in an earlier post that he is currently wearing a Flexon 90 in 43. Were you happy with the frame at the time of that post? What size is the frame you have on order if this one is to small? He must be a pretty big boy.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Consumer,

Production/delivery time on frames ranges from 45 to 90 days. You stated you have already been waiting a month and have 2 more weeks to go. I am sure your optical office has been doing the best they can, but getting the frames is really out of their control.

When frame companies produce products, they take their best guess at how popular a certain model will be. Sometimes models are so popular, all available inventory is exhauted and they must re-order. During the time that the new production is being made, people continue to order that model. Maybe the new production will satisfy the demand, maybe not. This can go on for 2 or 3 production cycles until either the supply meets the demand or the frame loses it popularity and demand decreases.

The reality of it is, is that if the next production supply does not meet the demand, you may or may not get your frames. If you are not 100% sold on these frames, might be in your child's eyesight best interest to pick a new model and go from there. If he has a spare pair and can get by and you think they are worth the wait, then you have answered your own question.

Good Luck. Didn't mean to be so long winded.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All of the major companies have been having backorder problems lately. Encore Jim pretty explained the situation really well. Short of the loaner idea the some have mentioned Marchon is excellent at finding compatible frames. The best thing to do would probably to ask you optician if they think the deadline will be met and find out if they think you should wait or seek an alternative.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Waiting on the 43's

Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS
    You mentioned in an earlier post that he is currently wearing a Flexon 90 in 43. Were you happy with the frame at the time of that post? What size is the frame you have on order if this one is to small? He must be a pretty big boy.
    I am waiting on these 43's. In the previous post, I was just referencing them for size purposes. I have yet to receive these glasses. However, my son is big for his age.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Does anybody have any information?

When will the back-order with Flexon Kids frames be cleared? Has anyone been getting them to customers?

Any information would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just got a color-substitued #90 in for a 2-y.o. Probably not that much longer.

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yep I've been having Back Order problems with the Flexons for about 2 years now. So I try to keep on B/O the best sellers whenever I sell them.
    That way I have them coming if they do break!

I'm finding with the Flexon Kid's frames (X-games) that the finish always comes off. They eventually turn into silver lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie G's
    Yep I've been having Back Order problems with the Flexons for about 2 years now. So I try to keep on B/O the best sellers whenever I sell them.
    That way I have them coming if they do break!

I'm finding with the Flexon Kid's frames (X-games) that the finish always comes off. They eventually turn into silver lol.
    I have had B/order probs with Marchon for a while now as well. Last month I ordered 5 flexon and X-games frames, 4 were on backorder, and 1 still is! I am finding if I have to replace one for a warranty, look out, I might be waiting a while. The X-games are nice frames, but the finish does come off easy!! I agree with you Eddie G. Good luck.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Still not in yet!

New date from Marchon is 4/8. This would be the 4th date I received for backorder. I am very fustrated now. If these frames were not so well received by those on this board I would have cancelled my order.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just got in an XGames semi-Flexon frame from Marchon today. We still have several Marchon Kids frames on backorder. Marchon's website still shows all Flexon Kids 90s on backorder except the Dusty Rose in a 45 eye.

I agree that the frame is worth waiting for. Flexon is a great product, Marchon is generally a reliable company. And, even with the best of them, delivery deadlines on backorders can get pushed back.

BTW, I also find finish problems with the XGames frames, and with the Flexon 600 line. Both are made in China. The other Flexons are made in Japan. The difference in manufacture quality shows. It's a shame; the XGames frames are a great bridge-line between the Kids and the adult line.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Andrew:

I've been selling the 600 series by the truckload for about one year. I think the finish has performed rather admirably, suprisingly enough. I hope I don't get disappointed later.

As to the X-games, maybe a little problem with the titanium bridge solder to the metal front, but not too much finish problems there, either.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    drk,

Thanks for the feedback. I do see better results with the 600 line than the XGames, but still occasionally see chipping on the finish. Something I don't notice with the Japan-made Flexon product.

The XGames finish can go pretty fast depending on how hard that pre-teen is on it. And I'm glad to hear someone else experiencing problems with that bridge solder joint. I also find a small percentage of breakage at the hinge solder joint, more than what I see with frames with Flexon temples as well. Not surprising, especially considering that the major market for the XGames frames in our office are kids who are at the stage of life where they're rough on everything. While I appreciate Marchon's decision to make the XGames line affordable by dispensing with Flexon temples, I kind of wish they'd charge us another $5 and put Flexon back in there.

I am going to see my Marchon rep today. I am going to check out the Flexon 90 and order some if it is such a hot item.!!!

do you know if your optician has asked their rep? usually they lug these frames around the coutry side with them and are sometimes willing to part with a frame.

OptiBoard Apprentice

They have asked the Rep.

No dice, even on a loaner pair. If anyone has a pair to sell, I'm buying.

Cheers,

According the the Marchon "MVP" website. The Flexon kids 43 cocoa frame is currently in stock. The optical shop should check now. I placed an order and I added this one to it, and so far, it says it is in stock. I will let you know if I get it.

I have it on my board right now!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Informed Consumer
    When will the back-order with Flexon Kids frames be cleared? Has anyone been getting them to customers?

Any information would be welcomed.

Thanks,
    I just wonder why their flex frames are on back-order ? our flex frames are not moving well in our warehouse. I tried to sell these nice flex kids frames as you described to our retailers, they didn't show much interests. they told me it's simply not that popular

Thread Information