Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drill Mount Glass

Bad address email on file
    Just wanted to say I did receive my drill mount glass lens and the brightness and clarity are superb to say the least!

No more hairline scratches to deal with! Thank you very much to the individual who was able to help me with my request. You did a fantastic job!

OptiBoard Novice
    [QUOTE=Chris Ryser]Foe-Life has a good point,

Glass itself absorbs most UV anyhow. AR coatings have been made on glass since the 1930s (camera lenses) and have never had any adhearnce problems. Glass and Silicone dioxide(AR coating material) are some of the most natural products, originating from sand.

Years ago when I first aquired a UV meter, I was curious about this. Since I had always heard that glass absorbed UV, I was curious as to how interior upholstery got so faded. I tested a Hoya uv absorbing glass lens versus an uncoated regular cr-39 lens. The supposedly uv-absorbing glass lens absorbed only about 7% of UV while the untreated cr-39 lens absorbed around 50%.
    Now that applies only to clear glass, as we all know PGX and G-15 type lenses do an excellent job.
    As for glass drill-mounts, few people still have the diamond drills and cutting oil necessary to drill glass. When I was learning the trade at White-Haines, I drilled a few glass lenses. Even with chamfering, many lenses just broke. Of course that was before chem-treatment was available. I assume that if lenses were drilled prior to chem hardening, you might have something that will actually stand up to being taken off and put back on, instead of breaking.
    As someone else noted, there are significantly more durable anti-scratch and AR coatings now.
    You can always buy a new lens, but can you buy a new eye?:o

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can always make them a good prosthetic eye. If anyone has a source for Devine Spit I can make them one they can see out of.

Chip

Of course those glass lenses shattered if they were drilled after tempering.
    Even a chip or deep scratch can destroy tempering patterns.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have to say this: As a nurse I've never taken a peice of glass lens out of someones eye...I have taken out plastic lens material.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If you want glass then get glass, but sometimes we have to make sacrifices for the type of frames we choose.

It is like me moving to a different province, because Ontario makes me wear a helmet with my motorcycle.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jacqui: Was the origin of the glass or the plastic a spectacle?

Sorry I miss-read, I thought you said you had removed same. I suspect that you can find surgeons that have removed all sorts of foriegn matter.

I have read that some idiots in England are concidering outlawing long sharp kitchen knives because of drunken domestic disputes. Is there no sanity left in the world? Is the second coming to be triggered by the lawyers having removed our minds and sense of responsibility?

Some of my friends tell me that drilled glass is quite common in the Mississippi Delta (around Greenwood, Greenville).
    Last edited by chip anderson; 06-16-2005 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Poor comprehension of earlier posts.

Occupation
    Drilled glass is common here with the Amish/Mennonites, 40% of our work is glass lenses for them (chem hardened of course).

The material that I removed was from a plastic (probably CR39) eyeglass lens, as I remember one was the result of a car accident, another from an errent golf ball.

I have also seen glass safety lenses with pieces of metal deeply embeded in them. The same metal would have gone through plastic and if hot would have gone through poly.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    See Ricko, where the problem develops here is that you gave all these reasons why you hate anything but glass, but we contradicted those reasons. That must mean something.
    It mean nothing. The rest of the world is still supplying tons of glass lenses in all shapes and forms. Just because the USA has this crazy regulation of drop ball test and the right to sue everybody, for everythingm means that opticians shy away away from working with glass.

Plus the fact that you's never drilled a hole in a glass lens does not make the issue any better.

Just look at some of the old movies from the 40s and 50s where plenty of people wear rimless dill hole glasses.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jacqui:
    Strangely enough hot metal (as from a grinder or welding) sticks to (or burns as machinist call it) glass. It seldom if ever sticks to plastic.
    Seems to me there was once a thread about this.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Jacqui:
    Strangely enough hot metal (as from a grinder or welding) sticks to (or burns as machinist call it) glass. It seldom if ever sticks to plastic..
    Welders glasses give the best protection against IR and UV but gett pittet from the sparks. Good business replacing them.
    You are right welding spark do not damage CR39.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser

Plus the fact that you's never drilled a hole in a glass lens does not make the issue any better.

Just look at some of the old movies from the 40s and 50s where plenty of people wear rimless dill hole glasses.
    Yes, but I do come from a optical family just like yourself. My father tells me about drilling glass and why these new materials are much safer. He also tells me how the stores used to keep their doors open on broken glass replacements for drill mount glass.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation

Drilled Glass Lenses

Even if someone were willing to drill glass, most labs threw away the equiment (diamond-tipped drill and drilling oil) eons ago. For the persistent customer, they'd need to order the glasses from overseas. I wouldn't touch them. Although a customer can sign that they undersand the risks, they can't absolve the optician of the FDA requirements. Consequently, any injury, even if it wasn't to the eye, could be litigated.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Thread from the dead. Can we close this one as it was initially a consumer question?
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Thread from the dead. Can we close this one as it was initially a consumer question?
    Come on; I love drilled glass lenses, they help to put food on the table for the 14 cats that work here. :D :D and also food on my psychiatrist's table. :( :(

Occupation
    If you only lived in MD, I have drilled not only glass lenses, but used to make quite a bit of money while my wife was in college drilling beer bottles to fit a certain smoking device for college students in our shop. My boss used to laugh when I would do it, but it drove in business like you wouldn't believe. Their are still some guys around that will drill glass, but it will cost you, oh and by the way there whould be NO CONSUMERS POSTING IN THIS FORUM. Good luck.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Why should I live in MD?? If I really worked at it I could have a good sized lab doing nothing but glass and lots of it drilled. We have thousands of Amish/Mennonites living in Wisconsin, Northeast Iowa, and Minnesota. Someone mentioned legal problems drilling glass, this is for religious reasons and is litigation free in the Midwest.

Check the dates Harry, this thread was started in Feb 2005

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Religious?

Occupation
    The Amish and Mennonites shun all things modern.

See this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish
    Last edited by Jacqui; 03-01-2007 at 12:34 AM.

Thread Information