Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lenscrafters return policy...am I a potentially bad customer?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

customer getting returned glasses

I don't know about them using independent returns but about 1 year ago they had started the program to put saleable merch back on the floor with a regular price tag on it. We were to use our judgement as to whether it could be sold again or not...my judgement was to put none of them back on the board because it was against my believes to put them back. After a period of time I had no choice because they began tracking it and they would give you the talk if you didn't return a certain percentage back to the floor... I left the company soon after they started tracking and it was the best move I made.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Arn't they also selling returned frames taken back by reps from independents in their stores? :hammer:

Yes they are - when Armani left lux, all the independants sent their stock to lux...who flushed it through LC with a misc. sku number ... eventually, the frames became part of the eyewear package section but not until we sold many of those "dogs" to people at full price!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Did you know that the company allows people to return the glasses at their own associates risk. The associate gets councelled if they are receiving to many returns. It is calculated under the remake report. They must find a way to do it right the first time or..... Also when those returns come through the frames go back on the board if they look like they can be salvaged. The customer is getting used glasses at that point with an unused price.

Yes, the only tv advertisement the company is doing is promoting the customers choice to change their mind as many times as they want in 30 days - no risk to the customer .... but severe consequences to the associate ... :(

Occupation

I hate to rain on somebody's parade but,

Surely everybody understands that every frame return you send back to ANY frame company are cleaned up and sold to someone else.

It does not mean that they are "used frames", they still have the warranty, if they are not in resaleable condition they are not given credit and are returned back to the account.

Posting that one company has "used frames" on a public web site is libelous and is no different than many people who purchase frames returned from another optician that have been displayed in the dispensary.

The only one's who have any thing to say are those who order new frames with every order and I would bet that that is less than 5
    % of the OB members.

You don't get to order "new" clothing, shoes, jewelry, hats, or other personal accessories when you buy them and purchasing eyewear is no different. That's why they are displayed - so they will be purchased.

Rep

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We always had a sign in the lobby of our Wholesale Lab........."your glasses will not be ready in an hour".....quality,quality,quality.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    We always had a sign in the lobby of our Wholesale Lab........."your glasses will not be ready in an hour".....quality,quality,quality.
    There is an optical in our market that has a yellow pages ad that says something similar.

when I worked for LC we tried our best for quality but so many of the jobs we ran when we were busy 25 - 40 job starts in one hour could have been better if we were allowed to take the time to pay a little attention to detail.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    Surely everybody understands that every frame return you send back to ANY frame company are cleaned up and sold to someone else.

It does not mean that they are "used frames",

I'm sorry, but yes. it IS a used frame. Because you choose to call it something else, it does not change what it is.

I've got a 2007 car w/ just over 31,000 miles on it, if I trade it in, and it still looks brand new, and is in "resaleable condition", do you want to pay a new car price for it ?

Get real...

Occupation

So your telling me.......................

..................every frame on your board is brand new and has never been tried on by anyone?

or every frame you sell is fresh from the factory?

Based on your definition if it has - it's used.

No one said that those returns had been worn - other than to try them on to determine if they were suitable. If they had been worn any length of time they would have scratches, marks and dents and they probably would not be in resaleable condition.

Rep

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by orangezero
    I think it just plain stupid, but the people making these marketing decisions don't have anything to do with any of the three O's... They don't care if its a tractor, or a pair of glasses, or a Tshirt. All they have to do is find a way to sell it and beat the competition. Professionalism (and I don't mean this as a knock on anyone working at LC) doesn't ever enter the picture.
    Absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by lyrinx76
    Maybe everyone else should think to provide the same true 1 hr. service for most orders, with a 30-Day guarantee & A ONE YEAR BREAKAGE PROTECTION PLAN, just in case something should happen to the customers specs. Maybe then, Luxxottica wouldn't be so high & mighty, it's all because every other store lets them be. So please think about that everyone.
    Beat the competition, thats all this gimmick is designed to do. That's what all their gimmicks are designed to do. They are not high and mighty for this and lyrinx if you truly believe that they are going to control optical forget about going for your license, becasue like orangezero said professionalism doesn't ever enter the picture and they would be the first to get rid of licensure and being that you work for them you are not allowed to have a genuine opinion unless approved by LC. Also if you truly like it there don't ever leave because they don't hire you back if you leave and work for a competitor. (at least thats what I have heard)
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

What is new

The FTC has rules for this issue.

As I remember, there are at least 5 categories for consumer products
    1. New (never owned or titled) (warranty card has not been sent)
    2. Open Box (customer return or display)
    3. Used (customer return)
    4. Refurbished (could be new, open box or used)
    5. Defective
    The rules call for you to identify the item as to it's status correctly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LKahn View Post
    The FTC has rules for this issue.

As I remember, there are at least 5 categories for consumer products
    1. New (never owned or titled) (warranty card has not been sent)
    2. Open Box (customer return or display)
    3. Used (customer return)
    4. Refurbished (could be new, open box or used)
    5. Defective
    The rules call for you to identify the item as to it's status correctly.
    GOOD POST!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yeah, we tell people that it will be two to four hours, depending if there's any tinting to be done. I have seen many "sunglasses" that people got at LC in an hour that are only maybe 20% density, because that's all the tint it would take in the time allotted. That's why we sell so much polarized, not only because it is superior.
    OTOH, I have produced stock sv lenses for people in five minutes, if they're in a real hurry. Gotta love the one-cut edgers!:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think this statement and its like are simplistic...

Quality is what you do...not everyone needs at every juncture the best in quality. I adjust my services based on the situation...I'm less "broad-brush stroked" about anything I do.

Quality is not what you say...its what you do! If it was what you say...then Davis vision could trumpet their Colts certification...and trump me!

But...Davis will never be good...nor any chain, as long as the labor pool at large is so weak for dispensing opticians.

My 2 cents...what yours?

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to agree with Barry.
    I do think that being rushed can produce lower quality things, but doesn't always. If that were true, then what would your opinion be of an optician who takes 18 hours to edge your lenses? Are those lenses higher quality? I think not, the optician doesn't know what they're doing!
    In truth, edging lenses takes, what, 20 minutes in total? And only two or three of that is your work, then you let the machine take over. So, get a pair started over here, start another over there, and that's how it's done in an LC lab.
    Don't get me wrong, I am NOT a fan of the "chains" but I don't think that a one hour delivery means low quality. Especially since my husband ran a LC lab for several years, and I checked his work behind him (before we were dating!) and he NEVER put out anything that was of low quality or accuracy. He did a great job, and all his work looked beautiful.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ..................every frame on your board is brand new and has never been tried on by anyone?

Based on your definition if it has - it's used.

Rep
    I don't recall defining "used" as trying them on; no more than I would say that a car that has been test driven was a used car.

The discussion was centered on the LC return policy. Yes, my deifinition of "used" is when someone buys a pair of glasses, they take them home, wear them, and then return them anytime after that.

And while we're on returns...Yes, I did receive a frame from Lux that had an Rx in it. It's not only your company, but other big companies that I used to buy from as well.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Rep

I can't speak for Johns, but that could be a very true statement. There are plenty of companies out there that do not take frames back as returns unless they are truly defective. I buy from a few companies that give me very good pricing because they don't do this. I buy what I think will sell, I take responsibility for my purchases, they do not take returns, I get great prices and FRESH, UNUSED FRAMES!

Novel concept?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    I think this statement and its like are simplistic...

Quality is what you do...not everyone needs at every juncture the best in quality. I adjust my services based on the situation...I'm less "broad-brush stroked" about anything I do.

Quality is not what you say...its what you do!

My 2 cents...what yours?

Barry

I have worked for several Wholesale labs for 22 years....quality does count and also knowing your accounts. When you are dispensing to the public they are looking at cosmetics not the true product. Everything looks good...so it must be ok. There is a trail behind the lenses that are produced and it must be an efficient and effective trail. At the lab I currently work at we produce approximate 1200 pairs a day, and the specialty coating and edging is impecable. Glasses will not be ready in an hour, but they could be produced in our lab and have been. It's not a simplistic statement just rightfully so, explaining a true wholesale lab.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A new car.....

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I'm sorry, but yes. it IS a used frame. Because you choose to call it something else, it does not change what it is.

I've got a 2007 car w/ just over 31,000 miles on it, if I trade it in, and it still looks brand new, and is in "resaleable condition", do you want to pay a new car price for it ?

Get real...
    Wow John how do you do it, an optician with a BRAND NEW CAR, a 2007 no less. I bet you got all them miles on it by traveling around to all the LC's and buying glasses and wearing them a couple of weeks then getting your money back. I think I'll do that next time I see a LC. If we all did that a few times it might mean more used frames for everybody.
    I offer no warranties and never give money back. Makes me wonder how busy I would get if I did. I will say this, when I'm working I'm making $$$$.
    If I hired the same kind of people that work at these places I would have to swap and give money back too. Hey I've seen monkey's that would be better employees then some, not all, of theses folk.
    Shoe fits, wear it. But as this ole slow,stupid country boy always says,"it's them other folks being slack that keeps me doing so well". So let me encourage them chains, keep up what you're doing, I need the money.
    I lov chain stores. :shiner:

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Specs View Post
    What a ridiculous policy. What other custom made product that the consumer chooses is returnable for no reason other than "I changed my mind"? The hearing aid business will attest to the misery that their retun policy has done to their industry. Do we really want to follow that poor example. In an era where we are trying to increase our professsionalism why resort to hard core sales tactics. We're finally realizing our services are worth money, we now actually charge for repairs now. Is the consumer not responsible for their own decision making? So maybe I should be able to hire a house painter, I choose a color, the painter paints it. I pay for it. Then 25 days later I can call the painter and say "I'm not in love with the color. Come out and re-do the entire job in another color for free." I don't think so.
    Are we a profession, or what?
    Yes, we are a profession and we deserve to be paid properly for our services, however, we also depend on return customers and if we tick them off they will go elsewhere for their eyecare needs. Honoring a return policy shows the customer that you care about them and that we will stand behind what we sell. It developes patient loyalty.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There's a difference between honoring a return policy for a reson other than they just don't like them. If there was an ongoign problem with the glasses, I could understand a refund, but to return a pair of glasses just because they don't like them? Not a chance.......that's ridiculous.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe everyone else should think to provide the same true 1 hr. service for most orders, with a 30-Day guarantee & A ONE YEAR BREAKAGE PROTECTION PLAN, just in case something should happen to the customers specs.
    Let me get this straight: The customer waits 1-2 years to get their eyes checked...

...and then they may not be satisfied unless they get their eyewear in an hour?

Why would any reasonable person think that way?

My warranty is two years on defects, lenses and frames...no extra charge! Scratches aren't defects unless you purchase TD2 or Alize (cleargard) coatings.

Give them superior expertise, and let them go to the competition...the clients you *really* want will be back!

barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    I offer no warranties and never give money back. Makes me wonder how busy I would get if I did. I will say this, when I'm working I'm making $$$$.
    I won't ever hesitate to give a refund. As far as I'm concerned, when only a refund will due (from the client's perspective), then our *working* business relationship is over, and my responsibility is to GET THEM OUT THE DOOR ASAP....so i can go on and take proper care of the *next* waiting client, who will appreciate my services.

Again, I call this *weeding*, and it's just as important for a healthy practice as it is for a healthy garden.

my two cents, what's yours?

barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrix76 View Post
    Maybe everyone else should think to provide the same true 1 hr. service for most orders, with a 30-Day guarantee & A ONE YEAR BREAKAGE PROTECTION PLAN, just in case something should happen to the customers specs.
    I think enough has been said about the one hour service and the 30 day returns.
    But this one year Breakage Protection Plan,
    Why are you bringing this up like a benefit to the customer? It's a rip off to the customer!

If I buy a Luxottica frame and sell it in my independent optical shop, I can offer my patients a one year warranty, for free, no charge for replacements, as this is what Luxottica offers me. But Luxottica sells their frames to stores they own and because it's "too hard to keep up with the invoices" they let you buy it again for half off if it's defective???

Lets see, buy the frame from the company that makes it, pay more up front (when the store is buying it for WAY less), and get no warranty.
    Or, buy the frame from your nice helpful optician down the street, pay less, and get a better warranty?? Where's the sense in that?

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

An Observation

My Observation,

The motive of LC 30 day return policy is to limit the returns to 30 days. Listening to comment over the past year, it appears a fairly large number of consumers had grown to expect unlimited service for an unlimited period of time.
    The Breakage Protection Plan is really not much different than an extended warranty that is sold by a Best Buy or Sears. It sounds like a great source of additional profit. The consumer makes the decision if this is a good value to "them."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Yup....

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Lenscrafters' positioning in the market is unique. They do not (generally) seem to be positioning themselves in relationship to their competition.

They don't say: "We're cheaper"
    They don't say: "We're better"
    They don't say: "We're friendlier"
    They used to say: "We're faster" but they don't seem to emphasize that any longer.

Their message seems to be (these days), simply: "We're HERE, and you should come to us!" They don't make many promises, but they do offer that return policy and generally quick turn-around time.

My thinking about why places like that succeed: It's easier to go there, in the consumer's mind, and they have a point:
    1.) "I know where the mall is"
    2.) "They are always open"
    3.) "It's not as intimidating as a "real" optical"
    4.) "I know the name (brand recognition), therefore I feel comfortable about dealing with them.

PLUS, they perceive, incorrectly:
    1.) "I'm sure they're cheaper than one of those "real Dr.'s offices"
    2.) "They will have the latest fashion, since they're in a mall"
    Great post!:cheers:

Thread Information