Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: transitions V

  1. #1
    opti-tipster harry a saake's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    lake norman, north carolina
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,099

    transitions V

    just ordered for a friend of mind, the first pair of these lenses in the 1.67 aspheric. When i got the bill i was ready to drop, sv in three figures, not even counting the ar coat. have to say it looks fantastic, but i wonder at this price who is going to be able to sell it.

  2. #2
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    7,886
    Harry:

    Do they perform like Transitions in CR-39? That's the claim with T-5, no?

    I relatively recently learned that the Transitions technology was less effective in high index and poly (the hard way, too, with a patient complaining, among many other things, that her new Transitions Brown poly didn't perform as well as her previous pair, to which I arrogantly lost my cool and later had to eat crow).

    Have you tested them vs. the demo lenses in CR-39?

  3. #3
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,240

    Redhot Jumper Better Caviar and Champaign.................

    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Harry:

    I arrogantly lost my cool and later had to eat crow
    Instead of eating crow...............why dont you sell properly tinted sunglasses on which you make a better profit and can sell them for a lot less.

    Then you can eat Caviar with Champagne instead of dry crow.
    :cheers:
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  4. #4
    OptiBoard Professional Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Hurst , TX
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Instead of eating crow...............why dont you sell properly tinted sunglasses on which you make a better profit and can sell them for a lot less.

    Then you can eat Caviar with Champagne instead of dry crow.
    :cheers:
    Not everyone wants to hassle with 2 pairs of glasses. I have transitions and I love everything about them.

  5. #5
    One of the worst people here
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    8,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Instead of eating crow...............why dont you sell properly tinted sunglasses on which you make a better profit and can sell them for a lot less.

    Then you can eat Caviar with Champagne instead of dry crow.
    :cheers:
    I do a lot of sunglass and then sell them a pair of transitions. People still love transitions for their regular day stuff. I also do a lot of clip-ons with transitions (toss the clip on in the glove compartment). Then they do not have to carry their sunwear around with them

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    12,996

    Transitons vs. Shades vs. Polarized

    Chris: I don't know what a "properly tinted sunglass" is as compared to a polarized sunglass with any tint, of course in the South in the Summer the darker the better. I am well aware that no transition compares to a good polarized sunglass and does not compare to a most permanently tinted lens, don't work in cars, etc. In truth, I see no reason why sunglasses are made without polarization, especially premium items like Versace, etc.
    I often wonder why otherwise reputable frame companies put out such junk in thier sunglass line.
    However there is a case for transitions: People who are too stupid to keep up with where thier sunglasses are (I am one) I have four or five pair but when I get to the fishing hole or too far away from the house to turn back on a trip, I don't have my shades. Yea, I have thought of keeping one in the care, one in the motorcycle helment and one in the tackle box. But I just don't seem to be that astute, I come back from a tiring day at the fishing hole and I don't put the where they should be.

    Chip

  7. #7
    One of the worst people here
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    8,331
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    However there is a case for transitions: People who are too stupid to keep up with where thier sunglasses are (I am one) I have four or five pair but when I get to the fishing hole or too far away from the house to turn back on a trip, I don't have my shades. Yea, I have thought of keeping one in the care, one in the motorcycle helment and one in the tackle box. But I just don't seem to be that astute, I come back from a tiring day at the fishing hole and I don't put the where they should be.

    Chip
    Good thing most consumers are stupid or lazy.

  8. #8
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,240
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson

    Chris: I don't know what a "properly tinted sunglass" is as compared to a polarized sunglass with any tint, of course in the South in the Summer the darker the better. I am well aware that no transition compares to a good polarized sunglass and does not compare to a most permanently tinted lens, don't work in cars, etc.
    As you said above, unless you drive a motorcycle, like you and me, you have to own, rent, or lease a convertible to make transitions work.

    For sure polarized RX lenses are godd for many occasions as we all know..........but they are not cheap and rather high end.

    Therefore my properly tinted regular RX lens, CR39, high index,or poly is still the best solution for the regular customer with an average income and beats any clip on which is onlly an optical crutch.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  9. #9
    That Boy Ain't Right Blake's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Mobile, AL, USA
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    543
    We got in a pair of T-5's the other day. I put an uncut blank under the UV light next to a Quantum blank. The T-5 got a lot darker, faster. However, after surfacing both pair I tried the experiment again. To my surprise, there was little difference between the two. Of course, I didn't make note of and differences in thickness, Rx, etc.

  10. #10
    Pomposity! Spexvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    On my soapbox
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    3,757
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake
    just ordered for a friend of mind, the first pair of these lenses in the 1.67 aspheric. When i got the bill i was ready to drop, sv in three figures, not even counting the ar coat. have to say it looks fantastic, but i wonder at this price who is going to be able to sell it.
    1.67 with transitions is pricey - but it's another club in your bag, so to speak. Mark it up, throw it out there (without flinching), and those who want it can pony up and pay the piper.
    ...Just ask me...

  11. #11
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    7,886

    Confused

    Quote Originally Posted by Blake
    We got in a pair of T-5's the other day. I put an uncut blank under the UV light next to a Quantum blank. The T-5 got a lot darker, faster. However, after surfacing both pair I tried the experiment again. To my surprise, there was little difference between the two. Of course, I didn't make note of and differences in thickness, Rx, etc.
    Thanks for the experiment report. If the molecule is imbibed onto the front surface, which isn't affected with surfacing, how could it not be the same as the unfinished blank?

  12. #12
    OptiWizard
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Palm Harbor Florida
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Posts
    702

    Transitions® V

    Hi Blake and DRK,
    A demo box will only give you a good idea of the activated color. Because these units have only one wavelength to activate the lens and a 45 second activation timer you may not get the final darkness as you would in real life. With our Transitions demo piece, the bulb wavelength chosen is specificly for our gray and brown products. These boxes were made for ecp's presentations to patients. A tool for time restrained and those that had no access to step outdoors.
    Over the counter UV lights will activate the lens, but may not demonstrate the proper color, and can over or under state the darkness of a product.

    Good old sunshine is the best for comparisons.

    Blake, I suggest you take the surfaced samples outside and compare the speed and darkness of the Transitions V and Transitions Quantum. Cycle them through a activation and fade and you will see the improvements in these premium materials. Use a post it note on half of each lens to get the full change effect.

    DRK, you are correct, all Transitions are either Transbonded® or imbibed. Lens thickness determined by Rx will not affect the darkness.
    Only cast in place and molded products performance are affected to some degree by Rx thickness.

    Chris, tints are fine for outdoor use, and certainly have their place...but for everyday use, how many people can wear a fixed tint sun lens indoors? What if it is overcast, shady or late afternoon\ early evening ....a fully tinted lens may be to dark for detail oriented working or reading outdoors, a variable tint provides the conveniance of adjusting to all conditions in a manner that the wearer will never notice. I think we are looking at two different kind of patients here, one that may want a reliable one function pair for outdoors and one who wants a full functioning pair of eyewear.

    That is what makes photochromic lenses so functional. It is conveniance and comfort. That is why so many patients of all ages are choosing these products.

    Polarized lenses are awesome for driving and outdoor activities...Living near the Gulf, I use mine nearly everyday, but 80 to 90% of the time my Transitions cover my activities indoors and out.
    best regards to all
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

    When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 08:35 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 05:27 PM
  3. Transitions Optical Announces Education Initiatives
    By Newsroom in forum Optical Industry News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2003, 01:49 PM
  4. Transitions Optical Mystery Shopper Progam Ends Dec. 1
    By Newsroom in forum Optical Industry News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2002, 05:25 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2002, 03:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
Younger Optics and Vision Equipment