Thread: Rx from Cameroon

Bad address email on file sjthielen's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Rx from Cameroon

Can anyone verify this Rx I recieved from a lady from Cameroon? It is written like this: ( OD 180degree symbol+0.75 OS 180degree symbol + 0.75 add + 2.00). My guess is that it is supposed to transpose as plano +.75 x180 O.U. with +2.00 add. I would like some varification from someone who is familiar with this style of writing Rx's. Thanks for any answers that may be helpful.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That would be my guess too. Is the rest of the Rx in French or English? They have two official languages there and two distinct districts. That might give another clue.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

how about a trial frame?

I think that the doc wants +.75 sph, but trial frame the paitent. That should tell you in a second which it is. Good luck and let us know what happens.
    Paul:cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agreee with Ziggy, I think .75 sphere as well. I would probably have the doctor double check the refraction before making the glasses. It doesn't take much time and would be worth it not to remake the lenses if you don't guess right.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Anyone remember something called "TABO notation"? We learned it briefly in opt college as an obsolete Rx notation. Is that what this may be?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Tabo?

what's it stand for doc?
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't remember! I believe it was a more graphical representation of an Rx, sort of like a protractor with values written at certain axes. If anyone has a big library, it may be in there. It's not on the web, I don't think. Oh well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DRK, I think you are on the right track, because there is a graph along with the Rx. However the Dr did not fill in anything on the graph. I already thought about the trial framing, however the Rx is for the mother of this Pt and she is in Cameroon. Thank you for all of your responses.

drk said:

Anyone remember something called "TABO notation"? We learned it briefly in opt college as an obsolete Rx notation. Is that what this may be?

Hello,

This prescription is not in TABO notation(though there is graph) because axis is written in figures. If the TABO system were used here the axis direction would be pointed graphically on OD & OS trial frame like protector printed on the Rx.

I get to see sometimes prescription with TABO graphics coming from Portuguese or Francophone African countries and usually from ophthalmologists.

I think TABO form of axis notation was at one time internationalized during the International Council of Ophthalmologists conference in Europe and later made obsolete for the confusion it caused in axis directions.

Sjthielen your guess is correct.

Best regards,

Optom
    Last edited by Optom; 02-11-2005 at 05:09 PM. Reason: addition

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The power of the Optiboard!

Good show, Optom.

Can you tell us about this alternative system? Who uses it? What's it called? How does it work?

Hello drk,

T.A.B.O system of protector axis notation on optical prescriptions was put in place by the International Council of Ophthalmologist as standard notation for axes, I think sometimes in early 70’s? Instead of writing cylinder axis in figures it was arrow marked on protector scale of optical prescription. Some years later it was declared obsolete. The reason I believe it continues to be seen today on some optical prescriptions is to ignorance on part of doctor the same way you still see them put degree symbol after axis figures. Also it is not uncommon to find such design of prescriptions coming from ophthalmologist or opticians of third world country, especially non-english speaking country.

It is possible that some doctors like TABO axis notation protectors for OD & OS printed on their prescription pads just for decoration purpose since prescription looks impressive with it.

I too don’t remember full of acronym T.A.B.O and all that I know is it was conceived by the ophthalmologists at one time and is now out dated.

Best regards,

Optom

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for your help Optom. Its great to have a place with so much knowledge.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So what do you call the system where what we know as PL +0.75 X 180 is written "180 degree symbol +.75"? And where did this type of Rx notation come from?
    ...Just ask me...

Spexvet said:
    "So what do you call the system where what we know as PL +0.75 X 180 is written "180 degree symbol +.75"? And where did this type of Rx notation come from?"

Hello,

This is not a system or notation of any kind, but just a way of writing an optical prescription by refracting ophthalmic personnel of Cameron. In some parts of the world optical prescriptions are not written in the conventional form that we are accustomed to.

One time I saw an optical prescription from Congo that read:

OD 2.00 V 1.0

OG 2.00 V 1.0

Addition OU 3.00 J3

double foyer.

Any one want to give try to re write it in a conventional form or guess?

Best regards,

Optom

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optom
    Spexvet said:
    "So what do you call the system where what we know as PL +0.75 X 180 is written "180 degree symbol +.75"? And where did this type of Rx notation come from?"

Hello,

This is not a system or notation of any kind, but just a way of writing an optical prescription by refracting ophthalmic personnel of Cameron. In some parts of the world optical prescriptions are not written in the conventional form that we are accustomed to.

One time I saw an optical prescription from Congo that read:

OD 2.00 V 1.0

OG 2.00 V 1.0

Addition OU 3.00 J3

double foyer.

Any one want to give try to re write it in a conventional form or guess?

Best regards,

Optom
    I am not afraid to look silly (obviously).

I'll guess the J3 means the patient can read the J3 line on the Jaeger near vision chart. I'll also make a wild guess that double foyer means trifocals. Can't guess on the power.

How did I do?
    ...Just ask me...

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    "Double Foyer" is the French term for "bifocal"; "OD" is "oeil droit", right eye; "OG" is "oeil gauche", left eye.

"V 1.0"? Can't imagine...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum
    "V 1.0"? Can't imagine...
    Could it be the software version?;)
    ...Just ask me...

Shanbaum you are correct on Rx being in French and bifocal. We did not dispense it but I guess this prescription was positive powered all through recalling from experience. There are refractionists who do not use + sign before positive lens (anything to do with sign convention?) but would always put – sign before negative powered lens. According to their esoteric knowledge any lens (F) without +/-sign before it is a positive lens and then they apply this principle when writing an optical prescription. On V 1, I think it denote vision with correction in decimal notation equivalent to 20/20 in snellen notation. In conventional form should read:

OD: +2.00DS V6/6

OG: +2.00DS V6/6

Addition OU +3.00DSJ3

Double Foyer.

When any one of you get interesting Rx to see, please post on board.

Best regards,

Optom

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hey, now that everyone has deciphered the mystery Rx, I think I, too, know what the V 1.0 means, and it's what Optom said.

It's called "visual efficiency" which was/is an ophthalmology concept which denotes visual acuity as a decimal. Ex: 6/6 or 20/20 would be 1.0. 20/40 would be 0.5, I believe. I remember learning about it, vaguely.

The only interesting Rx's I could post from the midwest USA would be ones that make you wonder what the prescribing Dr was thinking!:)

Thread Information