Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose the best lenses for my personal eyeglasses! $5 paypal prize!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligament
    Ok, Looking at

1.67 with Crizal Alize or D'Alize
    vs.
    Trivex with Super HiVision (people seem to agree Alize is NOT availiable on Trivex lenses)

There seems to be a dearth of info on Super HiVision on this forum compared to Alize. Those who mention HiVision are very enthusiastic. Can anybody who has personally used both comment? Is Hoya's data on scratch resistance accurate?

Thanks!
    I prefer the Alize for cleanability, but have used Super Hi and it is pretty close. As for as scratching goes, well I have not had a problem with Alize scratching, so to me the difference is splitting hairs.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I own each.Both excellent.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Something different. . .

This has been an enjoyable thread. I don't know if anybody told this guy that you have to have enough thickness to groove the lens. Depending on your coloring have you considered the brown transition trivex with a gold Carat AR?

Alize and Super Hi Vision are both top of the line. For a normal wear and tear kind of person Carat will work just fine. You've got a nice frame. You can get your optician to high gloss the edge and then color kote the edge to match the frame.

That way the job is optically sound and asthetically pleasing.

Hope you're all having fun and making money.

Framebender

Go Philly!! Please send mine to the relief fund.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If money is no object why not buy both and make up your own mind????????????

GO PATS!
    Last edited by hcjilson; 02-05-2005 at 07:06 PM. Reason: PS
    Lord Byron

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    If money is no object why not buy both and make up your own mind????????????

GO PATS!
    This is the best post yet on this thread. I am sending $5 to a local charity for this answer. I think this thread should end on this note. He gets my vote for best post. :cheers:

I almost forgot, GO EAGLES!!!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

HOYA or Not HOYA........................

[QUOTE=Ligament]

Is Hoya's data on scratch resistance accurate?

QUOTE]

Dont worry about anybodies scratch resistance data.

They are all good to 2.5 times more resistance than an untreated CR39. (thats the basic rule for non tintable hard coatings)

As soon as you get into tint able hard coatings this ratio drops dramatically.

They all scratch eventually if mishandled.

The only totally non scratch surface I have ever seen is on my watch, which is a "Rado Jubilee" (Swiss) and I am wondering just about every day, how come NO lens manufacturer has ever looked into this and tried to copy it.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Is HOYA's data accurate? The abrasion resistance data was compiled by Colt's Labs, a firm that specializes in conducting tests for our industry. Some results of the Bayer Abrasion Test:

Uncoated CR39 1.0
    Standard AR coats 2.2
    Crizal 3.6
    Zeiss Carat 5.0
    Crizal Alize 5.0
    HOYA HiVision 5.0
    SOLA Teflon 6.0
    HOYA Super HiVision 10.9

Note that Super HiVision is available only on HOYA lens materials and designs. I can't provide any personal experience with Alize or Carat, but after 10 months of abuse, my personal pair of SHV coated Trivex seems to confirm the durability data--not a single mark. Past experience with standard coatings was not as positive. As always, you may want to take into account my employment with HOYA in evaluating my responses.
    RT

Occupation

Blue Jumper Marketing......................

Quote Originally Posted by RT

Crizal 3.6
    Zeiss Carat 5.0
    Crizal Alize 5.0
    HOYA HiVision 5.0
    SOLA Teflon 6.0

HOYA Super HiVision 10.9
    This looks like big corporation marketing. All these lenses contain above the regular AR coating is one of the new slickcoats and fancy names..
    :cheers:

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    This looks like big corporation marketing. All these lenses contain above the regular AR coating is one of the new slickcoats and fancy names..
    :cheers:
    Can you tell me how "big-corporation marketing" produces different results on an abrasion test?

Occupation

They have.....................

Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum

Can you tell me how "big-corporation marketing" produces different results on an abrasion test?
    Very simple.....................

They have the slick coats, they have the test's and they are doing the marketing.

I never said that they produced different results.........................

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Very simple.....................

They have the slick coats, they have the test's and they are doing the marketing.

I never said that they produced different results.........................
    No, RT did. Are you disputing his claim?

Occupation

No dispute.........................

Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum

No, RT did. Are you disputing his claim?
    I am disputing nothing. Make your own conclusion's

by Colt's Labs, a firm that specializes in conducting tests for our industry. Some results of the Bayer Abrasion Test:
    An abrasion test's are all there, they determine and measure how fast asubstrate looses it,s lustre compared to a determine standard. However they do NOT determine scratchability. You can check out the Bayer links:
    The there is another one on abrasion on which the optical industry is only a small part: :

The new spectro-guide - Color and Gloss Measurement Combined in One Instrument

BYK-Gardner - manufacturer of innovative measuring instruments for the quality control of paints and plastics - introduces the new spectro-guide , a new instrument that combines color and gloss measurement in one unit.

Both color and gloss influence the overall appearance of a product. A higher gloss surface appears darker to the human eye than a flatter surface, even if they are the exact same color. Until now this phenomena had to be measured with two separate instruments, which is not very efficient or cost-effective. Now you can measure it with only one instrument - the spectro-guide!

The spectro-guide is the only instrument to measure color (45/0 and sphere) and 60° gloss simultaneously in compliance with ISO, ASTM and DIN specifications. Color and gloss values are displayed together, making it easy to clearly determine the cause of a mismatch.

Now, even highly textured surfaces can be measured with excellent repeatability. Thanks to the spectro-guide's new, patented measurement principle that guarantees true circumferential illumination, which eliminates the influence of measurement direction and thus ensures excellent repeatability.

You can save up to 200 standards and 999 samples in the instrument's memory, both for color and gloss. BYK-Gardner's easy-link software, supplied with each spectro-guide, contains pre-defined QC reports, and allows the direct transfer of measurement results to MS Excel™. The spectro-guide is always ready to use: batteries last for up to 8,000 readings, calibration is needed only every 3 months, and its patented temperature control allows you to measure color and gloss wherever needed, without worrying about variations in readings due to temperature fluctuations.

For more information, please contact BYK-Gardner USA by calling us at 800-343-7721, or you can visit our website at www.bykgardner.com . October 2004 The new micro-gloss

BYK-Gardner, your reliable partner for innovative testing solutions of coatings and plastics is introducing the new micro-gloss - the successor of the world's best selling gloss meter.

The new micro-gloss combines the well known portability and ease-of-use with a unique functionality, designed for the QC needs of today and tomorrow.

Gloss measurement is only accurate if the instrument is calibrated correctly. The new auto-diagnosis feature checks the calibration values. Whether in the plant or in the field, with the calibration holder of the micro-gloss the standard is always at hand and protected. The intelligent auto diagnosis tells when to calibrate and even checks whether the standard is clean. Reliable readings without operator error are guaranteed.

Thanks to a clear menu structure and the new scroll wheel, even inexperienced users can get right to work. Whether you want to make a quick gloss check or a comprehensive measurement series, the new micro-gloss offers all the functions to make your job easier: <LI type=square>Multiple readings per sample with full statistics <LI type=square>Pass/Fail and differences against up to 50 target values <LI type=square>Sample storage maintained using the new scroll wheel

Documentation is easy: The included software allows direct data transfer to Excel® and the results are immediately displayed in a professional QC-report with graphs. Used with or without a PC - the new micro-gloss makes QC faster. Visit micro-gloss.com to see the new micro-gloss "Specials" and your chance to "Win".

More information is available at: BYK-Gardner USA, 9104 Guilford Road, Columbia, MD 21046; Phone 800-343-7721; Fax 800-394-8215; email custserv@bykgardnerusa.com. January 2003

The new micro-TRI-gloss

BYK-Gardner, your reliable partner for innovative testing solutions of coatings and plastics is introducing the new micro-gloss - the successor of the world's best selling multi-angle gloss meter.

The new micro-TRI-gloss combines the well known portability and ease-of-use with a unique functionality, designed for the QC needs of today and tomorrow.

Trends and customer requirements change: Glossy today - matte tomorrow. More and more products are made of a variety of materials. International standards specify three geometries to guarantee reliable results for matte to high gloss finishes. With three measuring angles and an expanded gloss range of up to 2,000 gloss units, the micro-TRI-gloss is flexible for any application; whether paint, plastic or highly reflective metals.

The new auto-diagnosis feature in the protective holder checks the calibration values and tells when to calibrate. It even checks if the standard is clean - reliable readings without operator error are guaranteed.

Thanks to a clear menu structure and the new scroll wheel, even inexperienced users can get right to work. Whether you want to make a quick gloss check or a comprehensive measurement series, the new micro-TRI-gloss offers all the functions to make your job easier: <LI type=square>Multiple readings per sample with full statistics <LI type=square>Pass/Fail and differences against up to 50 target values <LI type=square>Sample storage maintained using the new scroll wheel

Documentation is easy: The included software allows direct data transfer to Excel® and the results are immediately displayed in a professional QC-report with graphs. Used with or without a PC - the new micro-gloss makes QC faster. Visit micro-gloss.com to see the new micro-gloss "Specials" and your chance to "Win".

More information is available at: BYK-Gardner USA, 9104 Guilford Road, Columbia, MD 21046; Phone 800-343-7721; Fax 800-394-8215; email custserv@bykgardnerusa.com. January 2003

New byko-charts

BYK-Gardner, your reliable partner for innovative testing solutions for coatings and plastics, is introducing our new byko-charts - the highest quality test chart at a guaranteed best price!

Consistent color and gloss of your drawdown charts are essential in order to produce an accurate drawdown or database. Variation in either of these parameters will lead to poor quality and performance of your database. BYK-Gardner has solved many of these problems with our new byko-charts.

Our charts have the most consistent L*a*b* values in the industry along with superior blocking resistance, as well as moisture and warp resistance. In addition, our gloss values will always stay the same, no matter the form or the lot number. We also use an environmentally friendly topcoat.

Our new byko-charts are available in many different forms and styles including opacity, penopac, opacity/display, spreading rate, display, and plain white charts. We also have many sizes to exactly match your needs. Samples are available now for testing, so please do not hesitate to give us a call. In addition, our Application Note 15 details the advantages of our charts.

More information is available at: BYK-Gardner USA, 9104 Guilford Road, Columbia, MD 21046; Phone 800-343-7721; Fax 800-394-8215; Email custserv@bykgardnerusa.com. June 2003

New micro-wave-scan

BYK-Gardner - your partner in quality control of paints and plastics - introduces a new instrument called the micro-wave-scan, which for the first time allows the measuring of orange peel and DOI on small and curved parts.

Previously, it was very difficult if not impossible to objectively measure orange peel and DOI on automotive add-on parts like bumpers, gas tank doors, mirror housings or motorcycle parts - now these parts can be easily measured with the new micro-wave-scan.

Like the wave-scan DOI – the standard in the automotive industry - the new instrument measures long wave and short wave. The structure spectrum offers additional information and assists in optimizing and troubleshooting. DOI (distinctness of image) is an objective measure for brilliance and gloss, independent of the paint system and the curvature of the surface. Customer specific scales are available facilitating routine QC.

The micro-wave-scan is small and lightweight, fits in the palm of the hand and operation is easy due to its new scroll wheel navigation. A large display shows complete statistics and allows the input of alphanumeric names. The instrument comes with a docking station for recharging the battery pack and for transferring the saved data to the PC. BYK-Gardner’s auto-chart software offers flexible analysis and professional documentation in Excel®.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I'm a little dissapointed in the recomendations from the Opticians, the first and only recomendations should have been for this patient to go set down with an Optician for a personalized recomendation as per this patients lifestyle.
    John Zimmerman
    Sales Manager
    Tri-City Optical Laboratory

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sometimes, John,

Quote Originally Posted by johntricity
    I'm a little dissapointed in the recomendations from the Opticians, the first and only recomendations should have been for this patient to go set down with an Optician for a personalized recomendation as per this patients lifestyle.
    Sometimes, John, you have to make a reccomendation based on available information, in this case, supplied by ligament. He asked for input and got it. Pretty simple formula! hj
    Lord Byron

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Ok guys, thanks for all the advice. I will select a winner and paypal him/her tommorow. You can take the money personally or have it donated in your name.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I thought I would post an update.

I ended up going with Trivex with Super HiVision AR coating. I have Davis Vision insurance which would cover Trivex with Zeiss Carat Gold, but would not cover Super HiVision from Hoya. The price difference was about $170 more for the SuperHivision coating.

Thanks for all your great responses.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    dragging up the dead here, but is the trivex with hoya super high vision still the top choice?

Occupation
    The Zeiss coat is a very good coating and the company has been around in the optical business forever. I would say that you got a premium product no matter what the opinions. And personaly I think that the Carl Zeiss company rules.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    So, who won the $5 prize, Ligament? :bbg:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    optiboard member "For-Life" was got the $5 reward, paid via paypal on 2/16/06. ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu Barbie
    So, who won the $5 prize, Ligament? :bbg:
    Last edited by Ligament; 06-28-2006 at 08:31 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I posted this in wrong place.
    Last edited by Jude; 06-28-2006 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Remove...should have been new thread.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligament
    optiboard member "For-Life" was got the $5 reward, paid via paypal on 2/16/06. ;)
    Congrats, For-Life! :D :cheers:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Next Question: What is the worlds oldest profession?
    Hint: Just leave the $5 paypal thing on the dresser.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu Barbie
    Congrats, For-Life! :D :cheers:
    thank you :)

Thread Information