Thread: Horizon III patternless, dry cut edger

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Have had an Optronics Horizon III w/Satrun tracer for about 4 years, marvelous unit, includes air compressor and vacuum. had to have one of their new 6E models. patternless dry cut is the way to go; edges poly very quietly, and highly accurate. e-mail me if interested. Al.

I had a couple of e-mail inquiries about the edger; wanted to know how much I wanted for the Horizon III; I don't know what's a fair price...got in the 6E, and I'm glad I got it...still NEED to sell the III. What do think a $25K unit should sell for? I thought $12K (it's worth it) but i'd like some feedback! Al.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Al,

I bought an AIT Maxima patternless unit 4 months ago. In our purchase decision making we found that the average class life was 6 to 8 years doing about 10 Rx's/day. The sales folks from most manufacturers informed us that the residual value at that time would be about 20% of the machines original cost.

I am not sure how long you had the machine or how much it was used. First I would check you machines counter. If you are in the ballpark of 60,000 to 70,000 complete cycles perhaps you can use the above formula. If your machine cost you 25K three years ago then you can determine the residual value to be ($25,000 x 20%)$5000. Then prorate the remaining 80% on the time and/or actual usage of the machine to date. So if your machine had an average life of 7 years and you used it for 3 years (57%) then take 57% of the remaining $20,000 ($20,000 X 57%) which is $11,400.

Do the simple math of $5,000 + $11,400 and your machine is worth $16,400. According to that formula your asking price seems fair.

However, what it is worth and what someone is willing to pay for it is two different things. I've seen used Horizon pattern driven machines selling between $3,500 and $5,000 depending on condition. The extra $11,000 plus for a patternless system seems to be the convincing factor in finding a buyer at a fair selling price.

Another factor is a clear maintenance trail which documents any and all maintenance to your machine. By doing this the buyer won't have to anticipate the possibility of dumping more money into an already substantial purchase.

Hope I've helped
    Good luck selling

Kevin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Al,
    I have a 6-e hooked into Visual Lab and a Vista. It's the only way to fly.
    The H III is a great machine. With the tracer and the compressor I say $12 to $13K would be about right.

Kevin, thanks for the feedback, nice formula, I know there are horizon patterned units out there for 3 to 5K,they're about 7K brand new. they do cut poly, but at a zillion decibels, the III isn't remotely the same machine, any more than the III is as nice as a 6E. And I don't think you can evaluate the depreciation of a dry cut unit vs. a wet cut unit. there is no wear and tear on the dry cut units! Al.

Thread Information