Thread: Lens brand. and my new lenses bother me (long)

Bad address email on file

Lens brand. and my new lenses bother me (long)

I just recently got high index 1.67 transitions from Eyemasters. I see a fat "S" when I hold my lens up tot he right light. Could be an a sloppy "E" but is has the lines of an "S."
    Two years ago I got glasses at Eyemasters-polycarbonates that have now turned an opaque white (got 1/2 off on these new ones.). When I received these in the mail, they appeared thicker than my older polycarbonate glasses, which are of comparable size and .25 diopters weaker. I took these new ones to a couple of other places, who said they couldn't tell me if they were hi-index or not, though thought they weren't. They did measure the centers and told me 2.2mm for the right lens, and 1.01 for the left or something. I have a caliper and got 1.99 left and 2.15 for the right.
    I understand that under federal mandate 2.0mm is the max, so I should be able to easily get these replaced, yes? Would it be reasonable to be dissatisfied at anything over 1.4mm? Eyemasters does have a 30 day unconditional money back guarantee.
    I think I also notice more "distortional aberrations" with these than in my polycarbs... So 2.15mm thick and visual distortion-quality control problem? Or should I get a re-examination?
    I should post a pic of the old glasses-everyone crowds around me when they see them. I just say "eyemasters" and "manufacturers defect." Nobody can tell me why or that they've even seen glasses that bad before.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    One of the problems is that you got it through the mail. All glasses need to be fit properly. Buyer beware.

I suggest next time going to a knowledgable independent optician.

Edit - I forgot to mention - the lens type is Super Noline. I do not know about the availability where you got them from, but in Canada Super Noline is only available in ordinary, regular thickness plastic.
    Last edited by For-Life; 01-16-2005 at 11:25 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by 12340987

.........................When I received these in the mail, they appeared thicker than my older polycarbonate glasses, ........................

visual distortion-quality control problem? Or should I get a re-examination?
    Your number one problem is right on your quote above..............."received in the mail".

I assume also that these lenses are progressives in high index........a fairly valuable and expensive job.

You should never have accepted a mail in job. These type of lenses should be properly made, placed properly into the frame according to your measurements.........................which can never be done by mail.

You should have picked them up at the optical store, have them adjusted properly and you would have immedialtely seen all the discrepancies and problems, and you could have refused them. Purchase and delivery of glasses is a very personal affair and should never be done at a distance.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-17-2005 at 03:34 AM. Reason: In the mail......................

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    take 'em back... that is unacceptable work even for ECCA's Specials Lab, which on occasion, does turn out some real stinkers ('course if you had to process upwards of 10k of lenses a day, you're bound to find some mess-ups). Chances are, they aren't 1.67 Transitions, either... AFAIK, we have not started carrying these lenses @ ECCA so you probably got (what they sell as) 1.60 Transitions, which will generally have similar thickness as a sperical poly lens at the same power and they were probably made @ SL... unlike the Visio lenses (the only 1.66/7 Lens we carry) which come as a stock finished lens to us, currently without Transitions.

If you're still curious about the Lens Brand (I'd be incensed right now if I were you, at being taken for a ride), they are made by SOLA.

You can get Polycarbonate in 1.0 thickness. Take them back and exchange them for the material you are used to. Oh, BTW, the visible "S" is a laser mark that is put on by the manufacturer to aid in the manufacture and dispensing of the glasses. It comes with the package and cannot be removed. There are other marks too, if you look hard. Sorry

shutterbug

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Until February 1, the only high index Transitions® pals are from Seiko (Proceed® and Proceed®II short), Carl Zeiss (Gradal 1.67) and the Genesis Superlite™ 1.6 from Shamir Insight.

The AO·SOLA SOLAOne ™ HD with Teflon EasyCare and the AO Easy HD 1.67with Teflon EasyCare 1.67 are freeform from the SOLA Lab.

The "sloppy S" could be Shamir Insight's S in the mercatur style globe logo.
    regards to all,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If he got them @ Eyemasters, they assuredly are not Shamir or Seiko. The only PAL ECCA carries or sells as "High Index with Transitions" is Varilux Ormex (which isn't even processed by ECCA, but @ Bartley). I'm pretty sure these are SV.

And... if I am right in that assumption, they're probably the SOLA ASL Spectralite lenses... the S does sorta look like an 'e' after looking at my pair again. Also...12340987, the ANSI minimum for CT on surfaced poly or high/mid-index is 1.7mm +/- (0.2mm), the CT on your eyewear is not really the key problem, but a manufacturing issue that should be taken up with the store from which you purchased this eyewear.

I work for another brand within the same company as Eyemasters and if something like what you have described appeared in our lab, it would have been shipped back to Texas the same day to be returned and replaced... I know, no consolation or help to you... but I feel the need to apologize for the oversights made by my "coworkers" and that such shoddy workmanship is not the standard across the entire company.

And... if I am right in that assumption, they're probably the SOLA ASL Spectralite lenses... the S does sorta look like an 'e' after looking at my pair again. Also...12340987, the ANSI minimum for CT on surfaced poly or high/mid-index is 1.7mm +/- (0.2mm), the CT on your eyewear is not really the key problem, but a manufacturing issue that should be taken up with the store from which you purchased this eyewear.
    I'm not an optician. I see a random assortment of characters when you people post. By CT do you mean cut and thickness? I was told that 1.67 was MAX 2.0mm and MIN 1.0mm.

You can get Polycarbonate in 1.0 thickness. Take them back and exchange them for the material you are used to. Oh, BTW, the visible "S" is a laser mark that is put on by the manufacturer to aid in the manufacture and dispensing of the glasses. It comes with the package and cannot be removed. There are other marks too, if you look hard. Sorry
    I have myopic 7.25 and 7.50 right, you're saying I can get 1mm thick polycarbonates??? So where would I be able to get a list of these laser marks so I could tell which brand my lenses were?

It seems that I was TOLD several times that hey were 1.67 high index. It seems the salesperson was under that impression. I guess I can't really blame her for a little mistake. Even though I asked several times and went to great touble, time and effort etc... But they were actually 1.5 index lenses, as the manager told me. She said there's .5mm difference between hi-index 1.5 and polycarbonate. Misleading if you ask me; aside from the fact I was told they'd be 1.67, wouldn't 1.5 index lenses fall under the "mid index" category?

I ended up getting a refund, and am getting transitions 1.67 high indexes at America's Best. It costs $75 a lens!! Though more for me with mail, frame fit, and AR. I got sunglasses from them a year ago and they turned out nicely optically.

I suppose it would be bad to label then entire ECCA chain as poor. But twice in a row I've had problems. I could have taken the old fogged up polys back but I couldn't since I was at school 300 miles away. I came back after a year and was told there was nothing I could do. I spoke to the wrong person in both cases. If I had the manager, she would have fixed me right up. I'll post a picture of my polycarbs sometime so you can see what I' talking about. Maybe someone could tell me why they would turn white.
    Last edited by 12340987; 01-18-2005 at 04:53 AM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1234--- Don't fuss, the price on your 167 is very reasonable for the features you are getting.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My bad... I sometimes forget that people don't know the same jargon as I do... CT is short for Center Thickness, ASL (not that it matters now) stands for Aspheric Lens. I am terribly sorry that you were mislead, it seems a current trend, not only with ECCA but other chains that Retail People are just sent out to sell with no real training. The assumption is that it's supposed to be easy and require little or no education or knowledge of the field, like selling shoes or televisions.

as far as your poly lenses turning white... sounds like they weren't coated properly, poly lenses aren't very resistant to much abuse without that coating and they start to turn grey after a few cleanings (just like those clear plastic drinking glasses you can get at the dimestore, a few times in the dishwasher and they look like they're about to shatter, made of almost the same stuff as that lens).

Occupation

Turn white .........................

Quote Originally Posted by eromitlab

..................................as far as your poly lenses turning white... sounds like they weren't coated properly,
    Polycarbonate lenses also turn white when stripping the AR coating with a regular AR coating stripper.

1234--- Don't fuss, the price on your 167 is very reasonable for the features you are getting.
    Yes, I know. Other places were saying $300 for trans 167. I'm paying $50 more than my old polycarbonates, and they had no features.

I don't think I got any kind of coating on these. It gets progressively worse. At first they were fine, a month later I noticed some whitening, and now in the sun I can't see when I drive.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I should be shocked by the confusion, incompetence, and unbeliveable mis-pricing of lenses in this thread, but I'm not.

For heaven's sake, man, next time go to a real optical.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    When you shop based on price and forget about other features such as warranties, quality and service bad things are bound to happen and you are probably less efficient than if you were to base your decision on other variables.

Same principal applies to retailers.

Occupation

Good idea, but ..........................................

Quote Originally Posted by drk

For heaven's sake, man, next time go to a real optical.
    Very interesting drk......................................

Can you give us a definiton of a REAL OPTICAL, please...........................

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lenscrapters!:D

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Ok.......................

Quote Originally Posted by LENNY

Lenscrapters!:D
    Phank:cheers: you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information