Thread: what % of pof's

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

what % of pof's

I was just running some end of year numbers and was wondering if anybody else keeps statistics on patients old frames being used for new lenses. I think that we are high and was wanting a comparison. Thanks

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by IIII

I was just running some end of year numbers and was wondering if anybody else keeps statistics on patients old frames being used for new lenses. I think that we are high and was wanting a comparison. Thanks
    More lenses into old frames is normal sign of the consumers tightening their belts. The optical and dental trade are always the first to feel the pinch.

Was like that 40 - 30 - 20 - 10 years ago when major companies were laying off people like they have been doing last year and will continue this year.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I noticed a jump in patients old frames in 2001/2002, and it has dropped off recently. I feel, like Chris noted, that is has a lot to do with the economy.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Were seeing more in the lab. Cant tell you any exact numbers, but about twice what we seen last year. This could be due to the fact that this area has been very hard hit by layoffs etc.

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok I just did a quick check and for our practice...

2002 14%

2003 15%

2004 13%

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui

Were seeing more in the lab. Cant tell you any exact numbers, but about twice what we seen last year. This could be due to the fact that this area has been very hard hit by layoffs etc.
    And we will see more and more of it in the coming month this year. Newspapers are telling us that everything is fine nad improving and in the next page they report some major layoffs. Everytime there is a big time merger lots of emplyees are l;oosing their jobs.

The Christmas spending was a disaster I am reading everywhere. This is a normal reflection of the economy when people are not buyong new frames and dont spend on the dentist.

Only see the optician when we can't see or thge lens is broken and only see the dentist when the tooth starts hurting.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Our numbers are similar to that what Eddie G posted.

With consideration of long term profitablity, we really don't have a problem with POF's since most folks using a frame in aged condition don't get the service life out of their eyewear as they would recognize from a new complete pair. Therefore, providing you made the transaction a positive experience for them they will be likely to return much sooner for a new COMPLETE pair. I can count numerous occasions each year when someone purchases premium lenses for their own frame only to be marching into our optical two weeks later holding the pieces of their old frame. Patients know they made a mistake, we do not reinforce the fact they made a poor decision but use the opportunity get them into a new complete eyewear package.

If your reasoning for using their own frame is construed negatively you can probably count on that person visiting a competitor.

Kevin

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We're also seeing a lot of repairs, more than I would think normal.

You may be pulling in patients by word of mouth. If they know they won't get the "hard sell" that they do from the mall retailers people may be sending more work your way by "advertisment by mouth". Repairs go the same way. This may be your best "niche" in a competitive business. Use it to your advantage and get the lens $$$ your competition is letting slip by.

shutterbug

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    This may be a little off the purpose of this thread but........

To encourage frame plus lenses sales, I do $40 off a complete set of specs.

I don't mind people being frugal, but am tired of unpredictable lab breakage on old frames. Last week I had one regular patient in with a broken frame he'd put new progressives into 3 months ago. We spent over an hour unsuccessfully trying to find a transfer frame.

So, with the $40 off, l indirectly charge more for lenses only for the hassle it causes.

Harry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I Hate Silhoettes

The reason that I hate Silhoettes is after 2 years of wearing them patients bring them back to put new lenses in and the frame is in almost new condition.
    I love to sell frames that look like **** after 6 month!:D

Occupation

Idea Good repais .................................

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui

We're also seeing a lot of repairs, more than I would think normal.
    Jaqui, I am glad you made this posting. For the last 2 years on most threads on the Optiboard most posting were of a nature that is despising repairs, and better sell them new jobs.

I manufacture some chemicals that are used in the manufacturing of optical lenses. Ourt regular customers are down in purchasing these items, less and in longer intervals. I can only assume that they have cut back in the manufacturing of lenses.

Repairs is also an indication of a slow down in any industry. Repair the car a few more time before going for a new one, $ 400 to $900 is less than spending $ 20,000 for a new one.

You will have to find ways to cope with a tightening up economy. Go easier on suggesting the expensive jobs to patients and customers. Start selling basic bottom line.........or you will get the reputation of being a pusher of high priced items which is going to hurt you in the long run if the downturn last's longer than expected. Somebody with money and does not have to cut back will still go for the fancy job.............but a large percentage of customers will be careful in the near future.

Thumbs up A different take!

Hi everyone, I do things a little differently. I sell them a qood quality frame (Stainless, Titanium, etc.) the first time. Then when they come back the next year for their exam and they have a change in their RX, I say " Of course you're going to use this frame again since it looks like it did the day you got it, or if you want a new look this year we can use this frame for your polarized sunglasses, or computer glasses, or reading glasses, and get a new updated pair" (second lens sale)

This goes a long way. It proves to the client that they made a wise investment the first time when they spent $400, and gives you more credibility. It also leads into the need for them to have task specific glasses. I also offer to re-edge their old lenses into another frame for their emergency glasses! (another frame sale)

These tactics have provided me with loyal patients that wind up coming back several times throughout the year for task specific glasses which I package at very reasonable prices. POF's can lead to alot of extra sales, try it, it really works! Optically Yours, Cathy

Cathy

Occupation

Perfect explanation.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Cateye88

These tactics have provided me with loyal patients that wind up coming back several times throughout the year for task specific glasses which I package at very reasonable prices. POF's can lead to alot of extra sales, try it, it really works! Optically Yours, Cathy
    With your policy, if I would be a customer/patient, you would be my optician

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cathy:

I'll bet you make some really sweet lemonade.
    Bravo!

Thread Information