Thread: When to fire a client - Rant

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

When to fire a client - Rant

I have this one lady who came in with ugly glasses and I made her up really nice ones. They were a Humphery frame, grooved rimlon. She gets them and starts to complain about how the nylon looks. So I look at it and see absolutely nothing wrong. Now if something does not look right I have no problems fixing it, but everyone in my office look at it and see nothing wrong. So I replaced the nylon to keep her happy. Now she comes into my office complaining about the laser markings on the lens.

Basically, she has become black listed in my program and if she wants to buy something else it is $1500.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    She wants her money back...buyer's remorse!!:hammer:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I'm glad I don't do retail.

Occupation
    Sellers remorse. I am very close to offering a refund.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Tell them ahead of time...................

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life

Now she comes into my office complaining about the laser markings on the lens.
    For Life, .......... All of us have some customers we do not want to deal anymore, in the retail as well as in distribution ar manufacturing. If she drove you up the wall you did the right thing. However you did not finish the story...............before blacklisting het, did you give a full refund? ..........take the glasses back?.......and how the heck did did she see the laser markings without the glasses?

Good lesson: Next customer you sell a pair of glasses with markings, tell them that they all have a laser marking on them for identification purposes, but they will not see them until they look for them at the right angle and light conditions.

Bad address email on file
    Personally i wouldnt tell them about the markings.... it just puts it in their head that there is something there and that will cause you more problems in the long run... i have found that only about1% of people even notice them and most of them are ok with it when you explain its there for us to process the glasses with... this definetly sounds like buyers remourse to me

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So THAT'S where Mrs. R**** went...sorry!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    heh... at least you don't get Wal*Mart Optical customers coming into your store to get temp eyewear while they wait for their cheap junk from wallyworld to come in only to return the eyewear we made when they get the stuff from that other place.

I just found out this practice last week, when trying to help a guy out with a pair of PALs we made *perfect* and he was convinced that he could see better out of his half-@ssed pair from W*M (who, incidentally couldn't even take off all the markings or swarf before dispensing) that wouldn't have even made it out of one of our labs.

Turns out the W*M "opticians" (HA!), tell the patients to come to my company's stores, Pearle or LensCrafters to get temp stuff until their glasses come in from W*M's lab, whereapon they return the pairs we made for 'em. It's enough to make me think about getting into another line of work, for someone to cheapen the work I put my heart into just so they could save a few bucks. No wonder I don't spend my money @ Wal*Mart.

Those are the kinds of clients I wouldn't just fire... but take 'em out back and kick the ever-lovin' cr@p outta 'em.

Occupation
    Well, do the reverse. See Walmart has a very good returns policy where you can return anything to them at anytime. I was joking to a buddy of mine at Walmart that I was going to take all of the glasses donated to us for Rwanda to his store and ask for a refund.

Chris, she looked at the laser markings while she probably went over the glasses with a maginfier. Labs are now selling PAL identifiers yet she ended up seeing these laser markings. She is nuts. Her friend was even *****ing about how glasses with AR have a blue tinge.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, she looked at the laser markings while she probably went over the glasses with a maginfier. Labs are now selling PAL identifiers yet she ended up seeing these laser markings. She is nuts. Her friend was even *****ing about how glasses with AR have a blue tinge.
    Just listen to her complain, then don't do anything for her - including returning her money. You won't have to fire her, she'll quit, and you won't have to eat the cost of her product. Your ears might bleed after a while, but don't give in!
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    funny thing is that her parents are great customers. Then you look at people like this and you wonder how they ever got married.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    in regards to eromitlab's post: if WM employees are suggesting to patients that they visit your store and then seek a refund later that is truyly underhanded, unethical and absolutely unacceptable. I suggest calling the store and politely asking who the district manager is and giving that person all of the details.
    I'm sure the staff of that store will be dealt with accordingly.

Occupation
    She did stop coming in, but last night she was in looking at prescription Bolle's. She is talking about prescription Oakley's somewhere else. We are trying to convince her to buy those instead.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Customer from he!!

Rule #1 The customer is always right

Rule #2 When the customer is wrong see rule #1

Usually a myope will see the laser marks on a progressive and say something about it. I advise them that the marks are essential for an optician to identify the brand of progressive and where they were fit.

As to the nylon from a semirimless mount being apparant make sure your groover depth is set to the thickness of the cord. clean out and poly strings from the groove. you may want to try using an edge polishing pen in the groove it may make the groove and cord less apparant

Mark the patient's record with some identifier on one corner and quote them $xx more than your usual and customary. This goes to the person who deals with this PITA. Refer the PITA to this one person and one person only.

Ed

Occupation
    She did stop coming in, but last night she was in looking at prescription Bolle's. She is talking about prescription Oakley's somewhere else. We are trying to convince her to buy those instead.
    How do people find the time for this kind of thing? Think about it, how much time has this PITA invested in obsessing over her glasses? It's a good thing I don't work in retail, patience has never been my strong suit and the older I get, the less I have!! Keep telling yourself this is less time in purgatory!!!:)

Occupation
    When we did the grooving it was flush with the lens.

I would be first to admit if there was a bump or not. She is just a woman that has a lot of time on her hands.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Now We Have Actually found a place for L.C.

Send the woman to lenscrafters. They are even advertizing for patients like this. "You can return your glasses over and over until you are happy." Maybe they even need clients like this.

Chip

Ever wish you could tell the what the Russian said: "Tough ****ski!"
    Last edited by chip anderson; 05-27-2005 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Further comment

Occupation
    We don't have a Wonderful Lenscrafter's here.

They fear us.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Fear is the only thing ...................

[QUOTE=For-Life]
    We don't have a Wonderful Lenscrafter's here.
    They fear us.[/QUOTE]

Even more of a reason to send her there. She can make the 4 hour trip by car or bus...............and every time again when she wants to complain.

I like the little sentence above............maybe we should have a diploma for everybody in the same situation.:idea:

Thread Information