Thread: Dispensing Trivex for the 1st time (at ECCA)

OptiBoard Novice

Dispensing Trivex for the 1st time (at ECCA)

I have never dispensed Trivex and I am wondering about the quality of it. I just picked up a part time job at ECCA, and they are pushing it hard core, but with ECCA you never know if they like things because of the quality or the profit (most likely the latter). They call their Trivex lens "Eagle Vision."

I was wondering if someone out there could share their knowledge of this lens with me so I don't have to rely solely on the ECCA informational materials.

As compared to CR-39, poly, and HI 1.67,

-Size of the optical center?
    -Peripheral vision?
    -How is the clarity with a high sphere, or cyl, or combination of both?
    -Thinness?

I have read on other posts in this forum that it holds tint better than poly and it the optimum choice for drill mounts (at least out of the three aforementioned materials).

Thanks in advance,

Stacey

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I LOVE it, it's the only thing I wear (and I can have anything I want!!). I think that optically it's second only to glass. We're seeing our customers use it instead of CR-39 and polycrap more and more, sales of Trivex have doubled in the last 2 months.

Bad address email on file
    I agree with jacqui, trivex has excellent vision as well as being the most impact resistant it can withstand typically 34 foot pounds of pressue per square inch... compared to plastic .3 foot pounds glass .2 foot pounds poly is about 26 foot pounds but poor abbe value

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I also work for ECCA and the Trivex lenses we use are made by Augen. They are available in regular SV or Double Aspheric SV and I think they are GREAT lenses. They have a great Abbe value and do resist splitting much better than Polycarbonate. We also us Trilogy from Younger from time to time which is also a great product. The downside to Trivex is its lower index 1.530 and the occasional problems with tinting (backside coating almost always is the way to go with tints). Poly or Hi Index will be thinner than Trivex but Trivex certainly has its place in Drill Mounts, patients that have problems with Abbe value or Chromatic abberration and they are great for kids glasses because they are about as impact resistant as Poly.
    BTW I don't see anything wrong with trying to make money in this business. Unethical or unskilled people work for every company in every field. In optics it is hard sometimes to find truely skilled people, but they are out there and they work for every company.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Poly or Hi Index will be thinner than Trivex
    Not necessarily. Many high index products are only surfaced to 1.5 mm center thickness for minus prescriptions, and many labs and FSV manufacturers use 1.5 mm poly as their standard. Trivex has a lower standard center thickness, and thus at the lower powers that constitute the vast majority of prescriptions, Trivex has edge thicknesses that compare favorably with poly and high index. In other words, the thickness advantage from the higher index of refraction is offset by starting from a thicker center. It is only at higher powers (-5.00 and above) or extremely large frames where the higher index makes a significant difference on thickness. Be sure that you understand your lab's center thickness standards on high index and poly.

Additionally, certain frame mountings, such as drilled rimless or grooved frames, require a minimum EDGE thickness. You can get into a strange situation where on lower powers, you have to add thickness to the center to achieve that minimum edge thickness. In those situations, each lens will have the same edge thickness, but the Trivex will have a thinner center, and due to its lower specific gravity, will weigh less.
    RT

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    We surface Poly to 1.50mm CT as well as Trivex and because of poly's higher index its curves are always flatter therfore giving a thinner edge. Of course you could always grind poly or Trivex to 1.2 CT or even 1.0 CT, in order to get even thinner. Obviously on the most minor powers you won't see a huge difference between the two materials.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't wait for our EV 4.0 launch in our territory, which is coming up pretty soon, all of us lab people are really jazzed up about seeing how this trivex stuff really works and how well it will be received here (since I have heard it's selling like hotcakes in the test markets).

I'm wondering though... for those people who run labs that process trivex, what kinds of changes are needed other than just the hardware (we have to change to 9-flute cutters, Axiom roughing wheels, lower grit 1st fine pads, etc...)? For example, are there major sofware changes in lab systems and machinery? From what my TD says, there are a lot of changes needed but I'm reluctant to believe him... it seems all we need is an update for the innovations lens DB and maybe a few tweaks on the generator software.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I run a store in Territory 716 and I process Trivex on my old FB 858 manual generator, 5056 cylinder machines and a Weco 2440 and C91 with regular Poly Wheels. Innovations already has the Younger Trivex and the Augen Trivex in it but it is listed as Hi Index. The company just wants to cover its bases with the new edger wheels to make sure the transition is smooth. Be on the lookout for a PAL EV 4.0 late spring or early summer.:)

Occupation

Clueless in California

Regarding the last two posts (immediately above):

Could someone clue me in as to what is a (PAL) EV 4.0 --?

Is that a new progressive (PAL) lens, or a new lens processing machine or software please --?

I guess PAL could also mean Programmed Additional Logic in this case --?

I'm asking because I try to keep on top of all new progressive (PAL) lens introductions.

Thank you.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 12-22-2004 at 10:46 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    EV 4.0 is my companys trade name for the Trivex material. PAL is progressive addition lens. We are going to get a new (propietary, I belive) PAL this spring or summer.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Trivex drills well (high tensile strength against pulling) and is impact resistant. In my opinion, the abbe value is a non-issue (perhaps some here can see some sort of obvious difference- I simply can't). Thickness will be similar to poly only if the Trivex is ground thinner- but regardless of which lens comes in slightly thinner, the difference will be negligible.

In other words, all and all you shouldn't have any troubles with Trivex. Like any material, it has certain requirements for edging and finishing (won't have the swarf problems of poly, but does generate a bit more heat in the edger).

For the money, I'll stick with polycarb (aka, "polycrap" :) )
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thanks D for the info. I'm in 710 btw, and all of the stores have mostly Gerber-type labs, with the exception being our cylinder machines (Coburn or FB and one store has a CT 108 generator). I was just curious about the changes needed, since I *may* be promoted to LM sometime around our launch date (at least I hope that's the case).

I can understand why they want to cover their bases, this lens will be ECCA's bread 'n butter product for at least three years, so they want to protect that investment, and given some of the 'tards they've hired to run/work in the labs here, I guarantee that at least two of our stores will have burnt up edgers or generators the week of launch simply b/c they didn't know how to make the changes or they just forgot (oh the horror stories I could tell you, it's no wonder we have such a bad name in my area).

We've found that trivex processes and acts very much like polycarbonate. If you are processing poly now, you should have no major issues with trivex.

shutterbug

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    I LOVE it, it's the only thing I wear (and I can have anything I want!!). I think that optically it's second only to glass.
    Jacqui, which progressive do you use? I notice in the Lens book the Genesis, Image, and a couple others.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    So far we've used only from Hoya and Younger, with finished SV from Excellite. Still wish that there were more segmented bi's available.

the genesis trivex has the latest and best design of the genesis line...

Thread Information