Thread: Ellipse

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ellipse

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11396

I want to let you know that I got this lens and LOVE it. It is my first pair of progressives and I put them on and have never had them off. I never had a problem with the "less clear" areas.

This lens if phenomenal and has made my transition to progressives easy and painless! :bbg:
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It is a great lens. I find that some people really like the short channel with the quick movement. I have been very impressed by it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been wearing this lens for about 3 months and I like it better then the Comforts I had before.

david

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Hi Cindy,

Can you tell me what the B measurement size is on the frame that you have your Ellipse in? I'm looking at a nice frame with a 25 measurement.

Thank you! I'm happy that the Ellipse have been working so well for you! I hope I can find the same positive experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Hamlin
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11396

I want to let you know that I got this lens and LOVE it. It is my first pair of progressives and I put them on and have never had them off. I never had a problem with the "less clear" areas.

This lens if phenomenal and has made my transition to progressives easy and painless! :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodAsGold
    Hi Cindy,

Can you tell me what the B measurement size is on the frame that you have your Ellipse in? I'm looking at a nice frame with a 25 measurement.

Thank you! I'm happy that the Ellipse have been working so well for you! I hope I can find the same positive experience.
    Good as Gold,
    It was exactly what my optician recommended I get for the lens I selected. Even though I am a licensed optician I still listen to the advice of my eyecare professional as they are the ones that will work with me if it happens not to work out. In this case, that was not the case.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Cindy

So I'm assuming this is your first progressive? I've always wonder how difficult it would be for a first time progressive wearer to adjust to a short corridor PAL lens such as the ellipse. The office I work at usually recommends the Varilux Comfort, but I've had several patients wanting a smaller frame. I felt unsure on how they would adapt, so I would suggest the Varilux Comfort.

What's the seg ht on your ellipse?
    Have you worn the Varilux Comfort before?

Sorry, i'm a youngin and have no clue on PAL lens since I can not try them on firsthand. I only go by patient's word.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    InspectorQ,
    The Ellipse was my first pair of progressives. I want to say the seg was 17 or 19. I am now wearing the Comfort in my 2nd pair and to be honest can see no noticable difference, but I did have to adjust a bit to the new PAL.
    ~Cindy

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have also used the Ellipse and most patients like it very much. I have found it is a good idea to tell patients that with a smaller frame that they might not have as much intermediate area and that it might take a few days to be completely comfortable with the new lens if they are used to a deeper frame.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How would you compare it to the piccolo?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My Ellipse is two years old and an upgrade from a Panamic. I have been quite happy with it. I have my -3.00 +2.00 set at 14 with no problem though our lab guy was convinced it wouldn't work.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had Comfort, Natural, Ovation and a budget non-essilor short-corridor product (just to see how a lower priced lens compares). Just one month ago I got my first pair of Ellipse with my add bumped up a notch with a height of 15 and they are the most comfortable lenses I've had thus far. One of the first things I noticed about them is the absense of blur in the periphery when I'm driving. Second thing was how 'seamless' they appear and the generous near area. The intermediate is plenty wide enough for the computer and is in a great position for computer use. I love them and even though my new frames aren't what I would normally choose to wear on a daily basis I find myself putting them on each and every day just for the lenses themselves.
    (And BTW, the budget lenses I had mounted in my old Minimal Arts? I don't even remember where I put 'em. The near area is soooo small in width and the intermediate felt like it was a millimeter wide. Horrible, horrible things; good thing they were a freebie cause if I had paid for them I'd be wantin my money back!!)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K View Post
    I've had Comfort, Natural, Ovation and a budget non-essilor short-corridor product (just to see how a lower priced lens compares). Just one month ago I got my first pair of Ellipse with my add bumped up a notch with a height of 15 and they are the most comfortable lenses I've had thus far. One of the first things I noticed about them is the absense of blur in the periphery when I'm driving. Second thing was how 'seamless' they appear and the generous near area. The intermediate is plenty wide enough for the computer and is in a great position for computer use. I love them and even though my new frames aren't what I would normally choose to wear on a daily basis I find myself putting them on each and every day just for the lenses themselves.
    (And BTW, the budget lenses I had mounted in my old Minimal Arts? I don't even remember where I put 'em. The near area is soooo small in width and the intermediate felt like it was a millimeter wide. Horrible, horrible things; good thing they were a freebie cause if I had paid for them I'd be wantin my money back!!)
    Why did you feel compelled to bump up the add in your Ellipses?
    Just wondering since the minimum fitting height is 14mm and you fitted yours at 15mm.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Why did you feel compelled to bump up the add in your Ellipses?
    Just wondering since the minimum fitting height is 14mm and you fitted yours at 15mm.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

My latest refraction compelled me to bump up .25 :bbg:

Had nothing to do with fitting height; was just getting harder to read the model and color numbers on Silhouette Minimal Art chassis. And they're at 15 just 'cause that's the correct place for 'em.

:cheers:

Occupation
    that is what I get from everyone who has tried the lens. It seems to me that the only people who have a problem with the lens are those who are not fitting or wearing it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    that is what I get from everyone who has tried the lens. It seems to me that the only people who have a problem with the lens are those who are not fitting or wearing it.
    FYI

Essilor has another lens that is "just like" the Ellipse called the Essilor Small Fit progressive. I'm able to get it from one of my Essilor labs at a much reduced price than the Ellipse in the CR-39 material only. I find it's a great alternative when you have a small depth to work with and a customer's budget restrictions.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Great lens, and never a problem.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

small fit

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    FYI

Essilor has another lens that is "just like" the Ellipse called the Essilor Small Fit progressive. I'm able to get it from one of my Essilor labs at a much reduced price than the Ellipse in the CR-39 material only. I find it's a great alternative when you have a small depth to work with and a customer's budget restrictions.

Wanted to know - have you worn the small fit lens - ? and do you feel that they are COMPARABLE - in comfort and also VA ? I personally had excellant feedback on the ellispe - esp the field of vision - and almost no soft focus areas - however was lookign for pt feedback on the small fit - and also i saw on the baords - the ao compact ultra - both that can be fit down to 13mm -

I do see they come in poly also - just kinda hesitant on switching some folks into these small fits or ao lens - from a Ellispe and have them disapointed -

thanks for the info
    bt

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bt5050 View Post
    Wanted to know - have you worn the small fit lens - ? and do you feel that they are COMPARABLE - in comfort and also VA ? I personally had excellant feedback on the ellispe - esp the field of vision - and almost no soft focus areas - however was lookign for pt feedback on the small fit - and also i saw on the baords - the ao compact ultra - both that can be fit down to 13mm -

I do see they come in poly also - just kinda hesitant on switching some folks into these small fits or ao lens - from a Ellispe and have them disapointed -

thanks for the info
    bt
    I am lead to believe that they are one and the same lens or at the very least brother and sister lenses like the Comfort and the Natural are.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    See I have heard the Small Fit also called the Ovation Small Fit. So is it close to the Ellipse or Ovation?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

if you like ellipse..

Try Definity short.

Re: short corridor fits, Because you are fitting a narrow frame, much of the blur zone is cut away..you only are left with really sharp areas to look through.

I just got fit with two new lenses: Physio 360 and Zeiss GT2

The distance viewing area on the 360 is phenominal..truly like an SV lens! It is a bit hard in the intermediate though, and for computer and shop work the GT2 is more comfortable.

So, if you have one of those patients who twists and turns and complains he/she can't see off to the side, tell them that you can fix it, for a price..

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by snotbagel View Post
    Try Definity short.

Re: short corridor fits, Because you are fitting a narrow frame, much of the blur zone is cut away..you only are left with really sharp areas to look through.

The distance viewing area on the 360 is phenominal..truly like an SV lens! It is a bit hard in the intermediate though, and for computer and shop work the GT2 is more comfortable.

So, if you have one of those patients who twists and turns and complains he/she can't see off to the side, tell them that you can fix it, for a price..
    Looking at the Panamic, Physio, and Ellipse it appears that Essilor really focuses on the distance portion of the lens over the rest.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snotbagel View Post
    Try Definity short.

Can you gedt Definity Short in Canada?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

smallfit

Ovation Smallfit, so it was first called, is also available in poly and Trans poly (I'm going from memory). I have had very good luck with the ellipse. I have switched almost all my very short corridor patients to smallfit. No complaints, no disapointments. I think it is an Ellipse.

Regarding the Compact Ultra. Only one experience, and that wasn't my dispense. Our Dr's patient got an Rx filled at Eyemasters and feels "sick" when she wears her new Compact Ultra's fit at 16mm. Her Rx is stable, not even a change in the add. We had her in a Natural, and no problems at all, for the past five years. I checked the fit, and measurements, etc. and all seemed OK. Guess I have to question the lens design. If she gets her money back and brings the frames to us for the Rx; she will get a Smallfit. Then I will have some good feedback for you.

Thread Information