Thread: Dril mount frames and patients

OptiBoard Apprentice

Dril mount frames and patients

Today I had a patient that just didnt want to understand that his Rx would look very thik in drill mount frames. So I said whatever and I will do it for the patient. I explained everything to him, I also showed him some lense examples so he would get the Idea. finally after an hour talking about diffrent frames he went back to the drill mounts. Now I am thinking about the lense should I put in that frame??
    Should I go Aspheric or Poly?
    OD -4.27-2.00x005
    OS -5.25-1.50x020

Not to mention that I had a Job like this before and placed the patient in poly and the patient is more than happy but that Rx was little less than this one.

has anybody had a bad expeirnce with Aspheric lenses in dirl mount frames??
    "Gravitation can't be held responsible for people falling in love"(Einstein)
    "To go no where follow the crowd''

Arman PourMirza

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No problem with aspheric.

Once, after the same kind of discussion that had with your patient, I put a minus 8.00 into a drill mount. It was a 47 eye, and I used Hoya 1.70, and the guy LOVED them! Good Luck.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Depends on the frame. If it is a rigid bridge, or has a recommended base curve for the lens I would use a non-aspheric Hi-index. We had a job similar to this recently and the bridge was very rigid and the base curve of the cull lenses was a 6 (no recommendation from manufacturer). We made up a pair of Nikon 4 stock and the job came out with negative face form, not pretty. Anyways the job was redone with a spherical 1.67 and it looked terrific.

In any case, I'd be reluctant to use poly for this, unless price was an issue and your lab uses Chris Ryser's product to seal up the holes after drilling. In our office we do the majority of our drills and grooved jobs in Trivex or 1.6 and higher index plastics.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Not much more to add here. We use poly, but in this case I would look at using a 1.67 or 1.70 if the frame is deeper. I have done drill mounts like that before, as long as you take into consideration what Jedi said. Remember, with the B's of today when a cyl is at around the 180 mark they barely add to the thickness of the lens. If it was at a 090 mark then you have a new situation on your hand.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a question about high index and drill mounted frames:

what kinds of limitations do we have on the types of mountings that can be used in high index lenses (i.e. push-in bushings, nut and bolt, etc...)?

I know high index can be drilled and mounted as I have a pair of my own that I purchased some years ago, but I have found that the company I work for will not do drills in anything but poly and a range of +2.50D to -5.00D, total power (I believe, this is about right, can't remember off the top of my head). My Rx is well past -5.00D. Is this for fear that the bushing mounts would cause too much stress on the lenses and cause cracks or is there another reason a company would not do a high index lens in drill mount frames? The frame I have uses bolts and I've not noticed any problems so far, but were I to use say, one of the Airlock 2 frames that have bushings would I have problems?

The reason I ask this is b/c I really want a new drill mounted pair of eyewear. The only way I could get new drill mounts now is if I were to cut and drill the lenses myself, but since my company took all of the lens drilling equipment out of the stores, I'd be forced to free hand it (or I go have my wife sell them to me).

Occupation

Altair Eyewear Eclipse Collection frames

Hello eromitlab

After scanning your post, I thought you might be interested in the Altair Eyewear "Eclipse" collection frames. These are rimless, 3-piece frames that attach to the edges of the lenses. As I understand it, the lab drills, cuts or machines a kind of "tab opening" into the edge of the lens and the frame has TABS that insert into these openings to affix the bridge and temple pieces.

References:
    http://www.firstvisionmedia.com/uww/..._showcase.html
    http://www.altaireyewear.com/collections/index.html

Far be it from me to try to promote any particular line of frames. I have been using the Internet to see what's available for my own use, and I took notice of these particular frames. Perhaps someone out there in "OptiBoard country" is wearing these frames or has some direct experience with them.

Occupation

Altair Eclipse frames: A little more

No Drill Holes
    Altair Eyewear has a unique mounting system in its Eclipse collection: an edging process that permits precise tabs to be edged in the lens. The chassis holds the lens at each tab and remains secure through a specialized closing system. The frames are titanium and beta titanium and the collection offers 11 styles.

Reference:
    http://www.firstvisionmedia.com/uww/...g_rimless.html
    Last edited by rinselberg; 01-03-2005 at 12:35 PM.

Bad address email on file
    One caution. The best materials for drilling are trivex, polycarb and 1.60 because these materials will resist cracking at the drill holes. Other materials are too brittle and break easily. I would try to steer away from drilling if at all possible in order to avoid dissapointments down the road with broken lenses.

shutterbug

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thanks rinselberg, for the info, that's an interesting system of mounting... I don't have much time now to look at it more, but it could be a solution.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug
    One caution. The best materials for drilling are trivex, polycarb and 1.60 because these materials will resist cracking at the drill holes. Other materials are too brittle and break easily. I would try to steer away from drilling if at all possible in order to avoid dissapointments down the road with broken lenses.

shutterbug
    I'm clearly not the expert, here, but as I understand it, the new Seiko MR10 which is 1.67 (Essilors Thin and Lite, etc.) is drillable.

If it were me, I'd go ultra-high, as long as cost isn't an issue.

OptiBoard Apprentice

poly it is

I wanted to thank every one for sharing their knowledge. I placed the patient in Poly lenses.
    "Gravitation can't be held responsible for people falling in love"(Einstein)
    "To go no where follow the crowd''

Arman PourMirza

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by arman61
    Should I go Aspheric or Poly?
    OD -4.27-2.00x005
    OS -5.25-1.50x020
    An atoric design will provide the best vision and will generally be thinner than front aspherics. So if thickness is a priority I would use Sola's Vizio. If more impact resistance is desired then I would use poly Resolution.

Robert

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg

Far be it from me to try to promote any particular line of frames. I have been using the Internet to see what's available for my own use, and I took notice of these particular frames.
    Question:

Are you buying new frames and lenses every day?

Occupation
    No Chris Ryser, I am not buying new frames and lenses every day. Although judging by my posts, I can easily see how anyone could get that impression! Let's just say (at least for the moment) that looking at frames and lenses on the Internet is kind of a HOBBY for me right now. How's that?

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    My company uses either poly or trivex exclusively on drill mounts. Augen makes a double aspheric trivex lens that is good, I would probably go that route. I would never put a patient in any hi index, glass or cr-39 in a drill mount as those materials are either not durable or have a danger of shattering.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have an RX similar to this and when i wear drill mounts i use index 1.67 asph and make the lens a little less wide, polish the lens and, if needed, you can put a small bevel on the back side to make it appear thinner.

Thread Information