Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You Know You've Been Around Too Long If . . .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile You Know You've Been Around Too Long If . . .

You know you've been around too long if:

-- you have an AO Red Dot screw extractor -- and you know what it is and when you got it!
    -- you learned how to edge on an AO Trimatic edger.
    -- you can score and hand-crimp a glass lens and get a ringer (and you know what a ringer is).
    -- you used hair spray to adhere the extruded chucks to the lens.
    -- you used suction cups for blocking and considered that an advanced innovation.

These ones are from Uncle Fester and Andrew.

Please add your own. ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

-- you did finishing lay out with a protractor, and thought a projectomarker was a Godsend.

-- you felt that the LEAP pad system was an innovation.

-- you'd rather drill the "semi-rimless" lenses, rather than figure out how to use that new-fangled groover.

-- you remember actual sand or salt in the frame warmer.
    ...Just ask me...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Never too long.................

Dead wrong..........................
    If you guy's have been around that long it is NOT too long.........it is that we have followed the evolution from primitive to modern.
    How about nutralizing lenses without a lensometer............with trial lenses? And then marking them for cut and grind.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser

How about nutralizing lenses without a lensometer............with trial lenses? And then marking them for cut and grind.
    Gee, Chris, I thought I was the only one that remembered how to do that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about presciptions chiseled on stone tablets?
    ...Just ask me...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    [/left]How about nutralizing lenses without a lensometer............with trial lenses? And then marking them for cut and grind.
    How the heck does that work ??? EXPLAINATION please

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Neutralize a lens The Old Way............................

Quote Originally Posted by omisliebling

How the heck does that work ??? EXPLAINATION please
    Neutralizing a lens without a measuring device

Article by Chris Ryser (Dec 10,2004)

In the old times when there were none of our today’s fancy analyzing instruments that look at a lens and printout the result, the optical industry had to use the manual way of neutralizing a lens to define its power, center and axis.

In Europe Opticians used lensometers already in 30s while in England they were Neutralizing lenses until the late 1050’s.

Here is how to do it:

Look through a lens at a line…………….move lens up and down or side ways.

If object line appears to go against movement it is a + lens.

If object line appears to go with movement it is – lens

Look through a lens at a line…………….rotate lens to right and left

If object line appears to move against or with rotation you have a plus and minus cylinder which are exactly at 90 degrees from each other.

Make marks at 90 degrees on a spherical lens and were the lines seen through the lens and the actual line meet (cross), and that is you optical center.

Make marks on the edge of a cylindrical lens while rotating the lens were the line seen through the lens and the actual line meet. Do the same aty 90 degrees and draw the cross line with a marker. You now have the optical center where the 2 lines cross and you have the position of the 2 cylinders (+ or -) reading.

Defining Power Of The Lens

The only tool needed is a set of trial lenses as used by the optometrist or the ophthalmologist in the refraction room.

Spherical lenses

As the lenses have been marked with their optical centers and cylinders we now can proceed to neutralize verify the power of the lens. We will assume as an example, that we have 2 spherical lenses of 2.00D one in + and in –,

Again look through the lens at the line and move it along the marked line and you will have a countermovement in case of a + line. Now you take a – trial lens of –1.00, hold it onto the lens to be measured and you will see the countermovement to be much less. Take the next lens in .0.25 steps or as required until there is no more movement and you have arrived a plano (no more power = Neutral)

The -lens you have used to neutralize the power at plano is the reciprocal power of you plus lens. Result + 2.00.

The same procedure applies for the minus lens by using plus diopter trial lenses.3

Cylindrical lenses

Here again you will have to follow the same rule with the trial lenses. We will assume you are using a +2,00D sphere with a -2.00D cyl lens.to make it simple.

The already at 90 degrees marked lenses are rotated against our established black line. You now will have to neutralize both values as before with the spherical trial lenses for each of the 2 marked line crossing at 90 degrees. When the movement stops you are at plano and the lens used, again is it’s reciprocal value.

You will have used a –2.00D lens to neutralize the sphere and a + 2.00 lens the – 2.00D cylinder for an RX of:

+2.00 D -2.00 cyl at 180 degrees

or plano + 2.00 cyl at 90 degrees

You can now progress to mark the lenses for cut and grind on the protractor and have made the job like they did in the old times.

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    How about using green pitch and a gas flame to block glass lenses and rocking cylinders on by hand so they don't chip.

Those were the good old days.
    Rich R

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    -- you did finishing lay out with a protractor, and thought a projectomarker was a Godsend.

-- you felt that the LEAP pad system was an innovation.

-- you'd rather drill the "semi-rimless" lenses, rather than figure out how to use that new-fangled groover.

-- you remember actual sand or salt in the frame warmer.
    I still have some of my old spring-loaded felt blocking holders and my old layout blocker that could decenter a whole 5mm!
    And we still use salt in our pans!
    And I remember the first time I saw a grooved frame. Someone brought in a frame they had purchased in California. It was a regular bevel mount frame but had about 15m of nylor groove on the temporal side. I think it was an Eastern States frame. We had no groover, so I had to use a slot file to make a groove in the edge. Shortly after that, the Tom & Jerry show (as we called our Logo reps) appeared with groover in hand and the rest is history. I still have patients wanting to get another Epsilon.

Good post,Chris about "shaking out" lens power.
    Say, does anyone know how to get the reticle target centered on an old AO Lensometer Jr? The reticle is centered but the light target is about 1D prism down.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

phillips head screwdrivers

I remember when Phillips head screws were an innovation! My first phillips head screwdriver was given to me through my employer from Charmant. It had a wood handle and lasted for years! Well, come to think of it maybe there were'nt that many phillips head screws in those days (late 1970's)! To this day I consider them a mixed blessing. They may save you from jamming a flat blade into your finger but they seem to strip the head so much easier!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Phillips

Don't know how long they have been in eyeglasses but they were on care door handles and other interior trim in the 1940's. I don't remember seeing all the special heads they have in construction screws (torrx, Square, etc) for power drivers until recently though.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Early days of CR39 tinting:

-- using RIT dye from Woolworth's;
    -- using antifreeze as the heat transfer fluid in tinting unit

Frame quality:

-- 30 years ago the oil embargo's saw production of gold fill and gold plate metal frames all but disappear.

Edger coolant: antifreeze as well :D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You have a Grolman fitting device in the closet and a Marine Tech frame or two and maybe even a few Bal Rim 51's tucked away.

Occupation

Hidabevel in the 50's.............................

As of 1956 we used to make hidabevels for minus lenses by handgrooving 2 grooves by hand on a small ceramic stone on a rimless bevel 3mm apart and mounted them into plastic or metal frames for an extra charge.

They actually looked better with no reflection from the grooves as you get today from the automatic edgers.

Occupation

Blue Jumper There is now a site ready...................................

For all you guy's and girls who want an on-line book

I have set up a an independent page within the shell of my website which has one of the best traffic ratings of all important optical websites i know of: I am only listing the first three but have checked them all. Traffic rating is by ALEXA and the PR rating is by GOOGLE and can be seen by downloading and using their toolbars. Best traffic rating is 1 (Yahoo is a one)

No 1 optical website on internet is the OPTIBOARD site with an Alexa rating of 91,762

No 2 optical website on internet is the OMS Optochemicals site with an Alexa rating of 114,096

No 3 optical website on internet is the ZEISS site with an Alexa rating of 115,293
    Fast crawling and indexing of the page is just about guaranteed by the success of the whole site.

You can see the modest start by going directly to the page there a no links at the time). The address is http://optochemicals.com/memories.htm (is now up and running )
    So now you can make suggestions, improvements, like it, not like it, like it or whatever. It can be done, or it can be deleted by pressing a button.

Best regards,

Chris Ryser

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-05-2005 at 10:11 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Thank you, I'll have to get my notes together.

P.S. Thanks for mentioning me on the site ;)
    Last edited by Jacqui; 12-31-2004 at 09:48 AM.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chris, that must have been in the days before.....

Chris, that must have been in the days before the punch press! Does anyone still have a punch Plier? You used to have to file the rivet end of the plaque (who remembers that term?)smooth with the top of the hinge, and postition the hole end of the plier over the rivet or plaque.....while not marring the frame!! Glad we don't see anymore of those jobs! :)
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation

Hidden hinges...........................

In the midd 1960's Metzler was the first one to come out with hidden hinges. These were the newest thing without pins. Soon after everybody copied them.'

But also those hinges broke..............and opticians told the patients they could not be repaired abd sold them new frames. NO Warranties then, you broke and you paid to repair or by new.

We soon found out how to fix them.................

These hinges were glued in under a clear piece of plastic. We ripped out the broken hinge, heated a new one over a gas flame and pushed it into the plastic which was melting right over it and a new hinge was solid in place. That was a 2 minute job.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How about spring hinges???

I saw my first spring hinge in 1959. It was a man's frame called the "Sir Walter". It was Italian and imported by Safilo....(I think the name of the company was different, but later became Safilo) The temple had a channel into which a coil sprint fit. A small ball bearing fit on top of the spring and the trick was to balance it while bringing the front hinge assembly over it, rotating it 90 degrees and trying to align it to get a screw into it. It was while doing this that my first rabbi (nothing to do with Judaism) Jake Zabecki taught me how to swear in Polish! It was not easy....but did increase my vocabulary!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    Chris, that must have been in the days before the punch press! Does anyone still have a punch Plier? You used to have to file the rivet end of the plaque (who remembers that term?)smooth with the top of the hinge, and postition the hole end of the plier over the rivet or plaque.....while not marring the frame!! Glad we don't see anymore of those jobs! :)
    you won't believe I just had one of these repairs this Monday!!! Matter of fact it had red dot screws and took me an hour to locate my ole red dot extrator, and beyond more belief, I even have a couple unused red dot screws laying in the tray. I was thinking the whole time,I wish I had my digital camera with me today so I could take some photos with step by step of this repair.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    you won't believe I just had one of these repairs this Monday!!! Matter of fact it had red dot screws and took me an hour to locate my ole red dot extrator, and beyond more belief, I even have a couple unused red dot screws laying in the tray. I was thinking the whole time,I wish I had my digital camera with me today so I could take some photos with step by step of this repair.
    Are those the new-fangled Red Dots with the screw slot, or the real ones that needed a Red Dot Wrench?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Chris, that must have been in the days before the punch press! Does anyone still have a punch Plier? You used to have to file the rivet end of the plaque (who remembers that term?)smooth with the top of the hinge, and postition the hole end of the plier over the rivet or plaque.....while not marring the frame!! Glad we don't see anymore of those jobs!

Actually, I think I might still have one of those animals stashed away!

~TMM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Slide Rules

A few of you mentioned slide rules.

Let's be more specific, shall we?

You know you've been around too long if you have used (let alone heard of):

-Empire datum rule
    -Willesden datum rule
    -Pyle universal rule

or better yet:
    -Pulzone/Hardy rule
    -Bishop Harman rule
    -Rosen rule
    -Earjoy rule
    -Specangler (no, I did not make that up)
    -Fairbanks facial gauge

Or even better still, if you were taught from a textbook that broke down various vocational dispensing consideration based on gender:
    men are:
    shopkeepers, gardeners, truck drivers, school teachers, carpenters, Executives (management), musician or dentists.
    women are:
    housewife, typist/ receptionist, theatregoer, nurse or hospital sister, needlewoman, or socialite...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Andrew said:You Know You've Been Around Too Long If . .

You can sing along with the Beatles "I Want To Hold Your Hand" or " You Belong To Me" sung by Jo Stafford or you remember trying to reverse your records to hear the strange sounds or was that the joint you just smoked!
    Or you were at Woodstock and everybody goes Wood what?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You have been around too long if you remember and even worked with ribbon segments or ultex k's or Panoptic bifocals! Wow my head hurts from remembering those Panoptic lenses!

Thread Information