Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: You Know You've Been Around Too Long If . . .

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper There is now a site ready...................................

For all you guy's and girls who want an on-line book

I have set up a an independent page within the shell of my website which has one of the best traffic ratings of all important optical websites i know of: I am only listing the first three but have checked them all. Traffic rating is by ALEXA and the PR rating is by GOOGLE and can be seen by downloading and using their toolbars. Best traffic rating is 1 (Yahoo is a one)

No 1 optical website on internet is the OPTIBOARD site with an Alexa rating of 91,762

No 2 optical website on internet is the OMS Optochemicals site with an Alexa rating of 114,096

No 3 optical website on internet is the ZEISS site with an Alexa rating of 115,293
    Fast crawling and indexing of the page is just about guaranteed by the success of the whole site.

You can see the modest start by going directly to the page there a no links at the time). The address is http://optochemicals.com/memories.htm (is now up and running )
    So now you can make suggestions, improvements, like it, not like it, like it or whatever. It can be done, or it can be deleted by pressing a button.

Best regards,

Chris Ryser

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-05-2005 at 10:11 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Thank you, I'll have to get my notes together.

P.S. Thanks for mentioning me on the site ;)
    Last edited by Jacqui; 12-31-2004 at 09:48 AM.

Bad address email on file
    I have set up a an independent page within the shell of my website which has one of the best traffic ratings of all important optical websites i know of: I am only listing the first three but have checked them all. Traffic rating is by ALEXA and the PR rating is by GOOGLE and can be seen by downloading and using their toolbars. Best traffic rating is 1 (Yahoo is a one)
    I can see that this is going to be a real project :0)

Thanks for the start, Chris. I think it may work. How to submit ideas will have to be worked out, and which to include in the book and in what order as well. This could be fun! I hope there is involvement by all!

shutterbug

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Opticians RAW- The real story behind your eyeglasses.

Here's my start-http://www.optiboard.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=89630#

Edit and contribute at will!

Introduction: So you think it's easy to make a pair of eyeglasses. Think again!
    Chapter Suggesstions:

How to make glass- Fractured Fairy Tales

Early Days- The Greeks were on to something!

Fundamentals of Optics- Gauss is a 5 letter word!

All things Prism here- It sounds and seems worse than it is!

Humorous Stories from the Front Lines-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

History of Eyeglasses

Still working at making this work! Sorry I'm not computer savvy enough yet. Do we need endnotes if we use others reference? Fester

HISTORY

"In the beginning God created the Heaven and the earth.... and God said, Let there be light: and there was light" (Genisis 1:3).

The name of the world's first Optician who probably took a peice of volcanic produced glass, realized its refractive properties, then made some people see better is lost to history.

Over millenium of time secret societies and/or Guilds were formed to keep this discovery secret and therefor more profitable.

The charge of heresy during the Middle Ages and its punishment of burning at the stake undoubltly surpressed advances in optical science!

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug
    I didn't have hair on my right arm until water based generator coolant came along! Generators would burn photograys, and the oil would catch on fire, and burn the hair right off in a small explosion! LOL those were the good old days all right!

shutterbug
    I did that once. I also set a mid-index lens on fire in a generator. That was still better than cleaning up after poly when it came along. Polycarbonate used to plug up the vacuum hole and cause a geiser of coolant to come out of the top of the boot.

The water caused another problem - the slides rusting together even when you kept the generater greased. A coworker took a sledge hammer to it. I don't think any of the modern lathes would survive that.

Heaven forbid you turned the diamond wheel motor on when someone forgot to take the wrench off after changing wheels. I had a wrench fly of the bolt, hit the plate on a hand wheel and put a ding in it then zoom through the ceiling.

I also found out the hard way that the triangle blades from old aluminum lap cutters will pierce rubbermaid garbage cans.

Lastly, acrylic demo lenses apparently catch on fire in chem-ovens. They also mean it when they say don't get water in chem-treaters.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper funny (now) fire stories

A co-worker at a shop I managed by accident put a plastic lens into the Kirk tempering unit. Upon noticing the flames I sprang into action! I turned the timer off so the lens backed out. With the lens burning and melting I thought maybe I could blow it out. Believe it or not from the side of the unit it worked but not before I tried to face on. This to my chagrin blew the fire back into the 1300 degree kiln and caused a mini fireball to explode back into my face.
    My eyebrows eventually grew back.

At a shop near my wife's work a routine solder job turned disasterous when a glass bottle of acetone got knocked off a shelf and broke while the benchman was working with a soldering torch. The fire raced up the wall as everyone scattered (nobody got hurt). The sprinkler system saved the building. Insurance adjusters declared the entire frame inventory smoke damaged and paid the owner. They then threw all the frames out in the dumpster out back.
    You bet the owner went dumpster diving!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-13-2005 at 10:34 PM.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Where are they all.....................

How come this thread suddenly died off?

Where are all the funny contributions for the suggested on line book?
    :cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris: All us folks that admit we make mistakes is used up.

Occupation
    [QUOTE}

Chris: All us folks that admit we make mistakes is used up

[/QUOTE]

Cip,..........This whole thing is not just about mistakes, it is about the old days and the old products and the old way of working............and how we learned a profession, like me making $ 5.00 a month during my first year of apprentiship, $ 10.00 the 2nd year and $ 40.00 the third year.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris: Economics like that tend to happen when you work for relatives. Of course, you probably learned to do things very well. Some people have to pay for such educations.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chris, that must have been in the days before.....

Chris, that must have been in the days before the punch press! Does anyone still have a punch Plier? You used to have to file the rivet end of the plaque (who remembers that term?)smooth with the top of the hinge, and postition the hole end of the plier over the rivet or plaque.....while not marring the frame!! Glad we don't see anymore of those jobs! :)
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation

Hidden hinges...........................

In the midd 1960's Metzler was the first one to come out with hidden hinges. These were the newest thing without pins. Soon after everybody copied them.'

But also those hinges broke..............and opticians told the patients they could not be repaired abd sold them new frames. NO Warranties then, you broke and you paid to repair or by new.

We soon found out how to fix them.................

These hinges were glued in under a clear piece of plastic. We ripped out the broken hinge, heated a new one over a gas flame and pushed it into the plastic which was melting right over it and a new hinge was solid in place. That was a 2 minute job.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How about spring hinges???

I saw my first spring hinge in 1959. It was a man's frame called the "Sir Walter". It was Italian and imported by Safilo....(I think the name of the company was different, but later became Safilo) The temple had a channel into which a coil sprint fit. A small ball bearing fit on top of the spring and the trick was to balance it while bringing the front hinge assembly over it, rotating it 90 degrees and trying to align it to get a screw into it. It was while doing this that my first rabbi (nothing to do with Judaism) Jake Zabecki taught me how to swear in Polish! It was not easy....but did increase my vocabulary!
    Lord Byron

Occupation

Could have been................

I think it was SFEROFLEX. They had temples with a spring in them and could be bent forth and back.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cris, do you remember trying to put one together??????
    Lord Byron

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by arman61
    I am about to go crazy. I just started in this industry and I know nothing. When I realize how much you guys know I lose hope. I really do like my job and I am learingin alot as I go along, however there some stuff that you almost never experince. Therefore you dont learn them as you should. like the techniques used to determine the power the lense back then. I kind a did understand it however there are some points that I need to try to understand them.
    Stuff like that makes me think how long more should I be learning and studying to be a master optician.
    Wow:drop:
    Dude keep the hope, your desire to learn is all you need. I started as a lab tech at a chain with no experience 10 years ago. Fast Forward ABOC and an Office Manager for a private practice. I'd be making more $ with the chain but it isn't worth the stress and my hours are almost 9-5 which is important to me and my family. You have chosen a field which is very rewarding, can be a little challenging, and most importantly is a carrer not a job.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Andrew said:You Know You've Been Around Too Long If . .

You can sing along with the Beatles "I Want To Hold Your Hand" or " You Belong To Me" sung by Jo Stafford or you remember trying to reverse your records to hear the strange sounds or was that the joint you just smoked!
    Or you were at Woodstock and everybody goes Wood what?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You have been around too long if you remember and even worked with ribbon segments or ultex k's or Panoptic bifocals! Wow my head hurts from remembering those Panoptic lenses!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you can still remember doing glass drill mounts and having them out in less than 5 hours. You young hot shots try drilling a glass lens and get it out with in a 5 hour time span, now that was pressure!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Memories--OSF-- My Alma Mater

Young and dumb at seventeen, fresh out of high school and without a clue as to what to do with my life I took my best friends advice and applied to OSF, Opticians School of Framingham!
    Started in the garage of Bela Biskei (I hope I spelled his last name right) my freshman class of 18 students began our career as opticians in classrooms. Bela as many old time Boston area opticians know owned a contact lens buisness specializing in hard contact lens adjustments. This was the mid 70's when gas perm's and soft contacts were just hitting the market. Bela by the way escaped the Russian tanks as a radical youth and immigrated to America as a Hungarian Revolution refugee in the late 50's. Upon arriving in "The Land of Opportunity" he was surprised at the lack of formal education this country offered opticians. He built from scratch a successful buisness and sought a way to give back to his adopted country something for his sucess. Few schools then and now for that matter offer formal education in opticianry. In gratitude he and his devoted wife Martha (who really ran the school) founded OSF.
    The school was in its infancy and trying to gain state accreditation.
    Our first year optic theory course was spent doing lots of mathematics.
    We would be given thicknesses and materials of a lens (index of refraction mattered) blank size and base curves and would figure powers and thicknesses from all these formulas I never have used since!
    But I think it made me a better optician!
    Then there was Gauss!! (I hope I spelled his name right.) This guy I think had way to much time on his hands as he figured "What the heck lets trace a theoretical ray of light through several substances and see where it focuses at 5 decimals points. New York's and I think Forida's exam had a Gauss equation for one of it's questions, so being the complete school OSF strove to be required we learn it. I have never needed to use it since.
    But I think it made me a better optician!
    We had to make 10 glass lens jobs by scoring and crimping then hand beveling before we could move on to the automatic edgers. It didn't take long before we realized the final rx should be written AFTER the job was done! Combination prism with different seg heights jobs were common!! Our lab teacher was a retired B+L pro who's skills were amazing. Just by feeling the lens he could tell you its power. Many master benchman on this website undoubtly carry on this ability. I've never scored and crimped since.
    But it made me a better optician!
    Sixteen of us graduated OSF and took the State board at Worcester Poly Tech in 1977. The Cape Codger himself signed my license!
    Time for bed I'll write some more later
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-10-2005 at 01:10 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    Chris, that must have been in the days before the punch press! Does anyone still have a punch Plier? You used to have to file the rivet end of the plaque (who remembers that term?)smooth with the top of the hinge, and postition the hole end of the plier over the rivet or plaque.....while not marring the frame!! Glad we don't see anymore of those jobs! :)
    you won't believe I just had one of these repairs this Monday!!! Matter of fact it had red dot screws and took me an hour to locate my ole red dot extrator, and beyond more belief, I even have a couple unused red dot screws laying in the tray. I was thinking the whole time,I wish I had my digital camera with me today so I could take some photos with step by step of this repair.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about those first lemay edgers where you would slide a weight along a rod to control the bevel. Of course you had to pick the head up from the flat stone and lay it carefully onto the bevel wheel. And this was a great innovation from crimping.

I used to do edging for the optometrist back then and they would send only one lens for a half eye. It was cut into two and the optical center line placed at the top.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Old days.....................

Quote Originally Posted by popeyes
    I used to do edging for the optometrist back then and they would send only one lens for a half eye. It was cut into two and the optical center line placed at the top.
    Those were the old days of glass lenses................you also had to true the ceramic stone occasionally.

Today you can still cut a poly or high index in plastic in 2, to make two half eyes.
    :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

old times

you have been around when you have cut laps on the old original OLDFIELD lap cutter, used a shuron 173a bowl edger, and made glass 3 piece rimless glasses using the old B@L ceramic edger that edged down both lenses at the same time, at a very slow rate, so they would both be the same size and have nice sharp corners, about one hour per pair

Thread Information