Thread: Best Progressive Lens Technology

OptiBoard Apprentice

Best Progressive Lens Technology

I'm getting ready for my annual eyecare visit. Last year, I got progressive lenses for the first time and am pretty darn happy with them. I'm always looking for something better, so am wondering what I should consider for the next time. The last visit, the optician was high on a new design (can't remember what it was), but I didn't opt for it because it wasn't available in a transitions lens. Right now, I have Panamic, Crizal, Transitions. I adapted to them very quickly, but, as I said before, I want the latest and greatest.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    There has not been too much that has come into the market this year that would be better than the Panamic. There have been a few lenses that have come in that can compete with the Panamic, but are pretty equal to it. One new thing is Crizal has introduced a new coating called the Alize. It is like the Crizal, but much more easier to clean and take care of.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Concider this to be about the #4 rule of the optical business: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The only thing I might suggest is the Crizal Alize coating. It is the most updated coating available. It is easier to clean and very scratch resistant. So, other than that, you have just about the best lenses available. Depending on the prescription, you might want to get the thinnest lens available, the 1.67 index panamic with Alize coating. Great lens.

Occupation
    Free Form technology utilized in full custom progressive lens styles such as Zeiss Individual, Sola One, and J&J Definity provide some of the "latest and greatest" you may be looking for. Also there are now many great "task specific" progressive lenses now available for computer and office work. However, any technically advanced lens only performs as good as the the fit. Therefore, if the person you are buying it from does not feel comfortable recommending, measuring, manufacturing, and dispensing the new lens styles I mentioned above you may want to consider the other alternatives mentioned by other posters.

Diddo......There have been great improvements in many AR coatings within the past two years.
    Kevin
    Last edited by PAkev; 12-02-2004 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Typo

Bad address email on file
    shamir autograph is the best to my knowledge, although the panamic is an excellent lens...

Occupation
    My question to this free form technology, so I can apply it to the poster, do those lenses named offer any better vision, and if so how much? Additionally, are any of those available in transitions?

We talked about this months ago and said that any lens can be done with free form; however, if no significant changes are done then it is no more beneficial. For instance, Essilor could do its Adapter through free form, but if there are no significant changes like the addition of the vertex distance to the lens then it is still just as good as a surfaced adapter.

Also, I suspect that the poster was offered free-form technology last year, but it did not offer transitions.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best for whom?

This is so individual . . .

I wear, and prefer, Zeiss and Rodenstock. I find Rodenstock has the cleanest peripheral, although their reading area is a bit small. Zeiss has a fine lens, especially the Individual and Individual Short, and even their production lenses, especially the Brevity, are really good. In fact, I prefer Zeiss' short-corridor lenses (Brevity, Individual Short) to their regular ones. Zeiss eliminated the drop from the fitting center, and for me that works just fine.

I tried a Panamic and after several months I asked our Zeiss rep for a lens coupon. Frankly, there were idiosyncracies with the Panamic distance vision that I had difficulties with. Example: I was on a ferry and looking at a lighthouse on the horizon: it was clear when I had my head straight, but when I tilted my head down and looked above the o.c. the power changed and it went out of focus.

Buyt what works for me may not work for you, vice versa. A lot of progressive satisfaction depends on matching the lens characteristics to the Rx and the patient's visual needs (occupation, hobbies, etc.). Like the guy before said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ditto to everyone on the improvements in AR over the past year or so. Crizal Alize is a great coating. Zeiss Carat is a close second.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Concider this to be about the #4 rule of the optical business: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    So I assume you are still selling st's

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ANDREW Thank god not everyone is on Essilor's "payroll"

I know it's not available in the U.S. , but find a canadian lab that might supply you with a Impression ILT from rodenstock, and compare that to an Individual or a Panamic (maybe it not fair to compare to a panamic, like comparing a magnifying glass to a microwave for cooking !!)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensguy
    I know it's not available in the U.S. , but find a canadian lab that might supply you with a Impression ILT from rodenstock ...
    Mostly out of curiosity, but I think it's a good question:

Let's say a U.S. resident wants to get spectacles with prescription lenses that are available in Canada, but not in the U.S.: Could an optician practicing in the U.S. (California, to be specific) dispense such a lens by dealing directly with a Canadian lab? Or by going through a second optician in Canada to get to a Canadian lab?
    Last edited by rinselberg; 12-03-2004 at 12:06 AM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensguy
    ANDREW Thank god not everyone is on Essilor's "payroll"

I know it's not available in the U.S. , but find a canadian lab that might supply you with a Impression ILT from rodenstock, and compare that to an Individual or a Panamic (maybe it not fair to compare to a panamic, like comparing a magnifying glass to a microwave for cooking !!)
    Please read what has been written so far.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Please read what has been written so far.
    I think this was directed at me --?

I think that For-Life is saying that the answer to my question (my post, just above) is "Yes" --?

My question was prompted by that last post from lensguy. Let's just say that I wanted to confirm it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg

Let's say a U.S. resident wants to get spectacles with prescription lenses that are available in Canada, but not in the U.S.: Could an optician practicing in the U.S. (California, to be specific) dispense such a lens by dealing directly with a Canadian lab? Or by going through a second optician in Canada to get to a Canadian lab?
    You can go to Canada, China, Switzerland or Israel or any other place. But you will have to go through a retail optician or optometrist. The optical business is not regulated like the medical prescription trade

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lensguy:

I not only sell ST's, 7x28's anything else that the trade has to offer if I feel it's the best application (not the most profitable) for the situation at hand. I personally wear Glass ST-28's whe I am painting artificial eyes and doing other delicate bench work.

I have some patients (not all of them in advancing years) who either by preference or by some special need to see better than the hoipaloy who actually prefer glass. And yes, I have those whom I changed from glass to plastic that think the lighter weight is wonderfull.

As you may know there have been many advances in machine tooling, but there are times when a hand file is the best tool for the job.

Chip

Occupation
    Free Form Technology does indeed develop the potential for better vision and cosmetic aesthetics.

For instance: Most semi stock lens blak availabiliy per lens style is mostly available in 2D Base Curves. ( ie. pl, 2,4,6,8,10) This often involves making a compromise when utilizing a base curve selection close to the ideal. Full custom PAL lenses utilizing free form technology enables the wearer to recognize the most appropriate base curve to recognize optimum vision performance.

Kevin

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know it's not available in the U.S. , but find a canadian lab that might supply you with a Impression ILT from rodenstock
    Interesting. Last I had heard, Rodenstock was having patent infringement issues with its freeform lens technology. Anyone know why they haven't made the lens available in the US? Or is this just another example of Rodenstock's wrong-headed marketing in the States? :hammer:

Thread Information