Thread: Abo Exam

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Post Abo Exam

Alright guys, I took my ABO exam today !!! Yipphe, now I have to wait 8 weeks to find out how smart I am :-)
    It went pretty easy, but I'm still worried of not passing because I hear of soooo many people not passing the first time and I acctually found the test to be fairly easy. What to think ... hmmmmm ... I just don't know ... all I can do is wait until next year. Does anybody know why it takes so long to find out ???
    Well, keep your fingers crossed for me, I really want to pass the first time around so I can sit for the NCLE in May 2005 and I would be very discourage if I failed and of course would have to do it again.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good luck with the results! I'm sure you'll pass with flying colors if you felt it was fairly easy. I found with the ABOC most questions are very common sense as long as you know basic optics, frame dynamics and ANSI standards. I just took the NCLE today and I felt much much more challenged. I suppose the results take so long because of the quantity of exams administered and I'm sure they are sourced out to a third party for results reporting. Also, I'm sure they take some time to retrieve all the survey results among participants. Congrats on taking a step towards bettering your profession and good luck with the NCLE in the spring!
    -Jaron Smith, Atlanta, GA :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good luck with your results too. How long have you been ABO certified ??? And what study material did you use to get ready for the NCLE ??? I've been studying soooo much lately, all I wanna do now is hit more books and take more tests, I gues it'a addictive :p

We should find out about the same time if we passed, keep me posted on your results and I wish you the best of luck.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    omisliebling said:
    Alright guys, I took my ABO exam today !!! Yipphe, now I have to wait 8 weeks to find out how smart I am :-)

I know how you feel. When I took the N.Y. State Optical Exam in June 1973
    I did not find out my results untill November, almost 6 months later. :drop:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I took the ABO in '97, and again when I took the NCLE in '98, associates whose names came before mine alphabetically got their results before I did, by a few days anyway.
    If the practice is still the same: hope your last names don't start with "Z" !!! Good luck!!! :cheers:
    "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

OptiBoard Novice

Blue Jumper r u german

:D ;) :bbg: :)
    Quote Originally Posted by omisliebling
    It went pretty easy, but I'm still worried of not passing because I hear of soooo many people not passing the first time and I acctually found the test to be fairly easy. What to think ... hmmmmm ... I just don't know ... all I can do is wait until next year. Does anybody know why it takes so long to find out ???
    Well, keep your fingers crossed for me, I really want to pass the first time around so I can sit for the NCLE in May 2005 and I would be very discourage if I failed and of course would have to do it again.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :cheers: Yes I am german

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They said 8 weeks but I had the results for ABO and NCLE after 4weeks. I passed ABO in 2002 and NCLE in 2003.

Good luck.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most everyone that I know gets the results before Christmas. We should here something around the 20th.
    Paul:cheers:

Abo

Hi! I agree with you that the ABO was really very easy. It was just a matter of reading the questions carefully. If you know lens therory and dispensing theory it's a piece of cake. Its funny how everyone thinks you need all these formulas to pass the test. The only ones i used was Prentices Rule, Vertex Distance Compensation and F=1/D and D=1/F. It doesn't get much easier than that!!! Try taking the ABO master when geometric optics come into play like resultant prism and combining crossed cylinders at oblique axis. I will also be taking the NCLE in May and truthfully i am pretty much ready for that one as well.

Not to sound too bragging but i am blessed to go to one of the best schools for Opticianry in the industry. I have teachers that are nationally recognized in industry who have taught me so much in 1 1/2 years that it blows my mind. Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, Florida. The cream of the crop in administration and students!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea Hi,

I'm planning to take the ABO on this May!! I'm reall worried about it. Rightnow I've Exam Review for Ophthalmic Dispensing and Ophthalmic Dispensing Review book frm NAO!! Also, I just started studying the 8workbk set frm Optical training institute! Is it good? Which one is better?? Any tips??

Thanks,

MaryJacob

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If you can get ahold of a books called TOPS by Michael DiSanto, that is my "most favorite" manual for opticians ... I'm not sure if the NAO has it ... I thought I remembered a post recently by Michael about the ABO prep he has available ... You might search for posts by Michael.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Why isn't the ABO computerized (like most standardized tests these days)?

AA

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan
    Why isn't the ABO computerized (like most standardized tests these days)?

AA
    Yes, I wondered about that too - when I took my Real Estate License back in '89 you could pay $35 extra, put your answers on a little hand-held doohicky, and get your grade within 5 minutes of the test ending! Saved a lot of time spent wondering and worrying! Guess our job is just too low tech for such amenities!!;)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Abo certificate

Just Passed the ABO:cheers:. I was wondering how long it takes to receive the actual certificate.

Thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    About 6 weeks after you get the results....and congrats
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's going to feel like forever...but THANKS

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's Great!!! I'm sure u must be EXCITED!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    congrad, i just passed my abo as well. I also have a ncle certification now i want my license and advice.

Thread Information