Thread: tonometers

Bad address email on file

Exclamation tonometers

:hammer: HI everyone!! hows it goin? everyone doin ok? i was wondering if someone...anyone really could help with information on tonometers i.e. how they work, their advantages, disadvantages, alternatives etc
    any feedback would be of greta help!!
    thanx!

OptiWizard
    What do you want to know? Are there specific ones you are considering? Let us know and we'll see if we can help.
    :cheers: Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Blue Jumper tonometers

i want to know mainly about the schiotz tonometer...its advantages, disadvantages, errors etc wat alternatives i have to measure intraocular pressure and stuff like that.
    thanx

OptiWizard
    Schiotz is not as reliable as current methods, Requires weights and calibration. Learned in school, haven't done it since. We used to call it palpations with a scale. (Palpations is checking iop by pressing with your fingers and guessing)

Goldman applanation tonometry is the standard method. reliable and repeatable it does need to be adjusted for corneal thickness.

Tonopen is also a good method, easy to use, reliable and repeatable.

Non- contact tonometers are good for screening purposes but not generally used for glaucoma managment.

Hope that is helpful. if you need more detail let me know
    :cheers: Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Schiotz Tonometer

Hello,

Schiotz tonometer is still used in my part of world. Schiotz is an indentation tonometer that uses weights to measure intra-ocular pressure. Schiotz tonometer usually comes with three different weight stylets (5.5, 7.5 and 10 gm).The 5.5 gm weight is affixed permanently to the instrument. For greater accuracy you can compare readings with different weight stylets. The intra-ocular pressure is read directly off the instrument scale or it can be converted into mmHg by comparing the reading with an accompanying conversion chart. Some of the advantages and disadvantages that I know:

Advantages:

1) It can be used on opaque corneas to measure IOP.

2) It is portable and inexpensive instrument, usually cost around $100.

3) Useful instrument for obtaining approximate and comparative readings.

Disadvantages:

1) In the hands of inexperienced user, the instrument can cause damage to cornea.

2) Patient have to be in reclining position

3) Ocular rigidity factor may be give erroneous result.

I use hand held perkins applanation tonometer with telescopic fixture for reliability and ease of use.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Optom

Thread Information