Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swing Stater's What is Happening Where You are?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Swing Stater's What is Happening Where You are?

The targeting is getting unbelievable the last week here in PA. Each day there are 2 to 3 mail pieces. Let's not forget the phone calls. The latest is from Eisenhower's son saying he is going Democrat this time. What is going on in other states?

I was at a meeting for pollwatching last night. Republicans are said to be willing to do anything to interupt the vote in states like mine.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stick to your guns Bev! I wouldn't let the "johnny come lately's" sway your vote, whichever candidate you support. :)
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman

I was at a meeting for pollwatching last night. Republicans are said to be willing to do anything to interupt the vote in states like mine.
    As a Canadian I am fascinated by the USA elections and have been following the happenings.

In this years Canadian election I voted for the Conservatives instead the usual, for the Democrats.
    They had been in power for too long and were too comfortable doing anything they wanted.
    Many other people must have done the same thing as they ended up with a minority government and can loose the governing position any time the other parties gang up on them.

It will be very interesting to see the results. Spending some time in the -republican territory of south west Florida I hear a lot of comments that quite a few people might vote the other way this time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Signs for Kerry have been stolen at a rate of 20 to 1 here. A fellow was arrested this week by police here when he was caught in the act for stealing a sign. On closer look he had 18 Kerry signs in his car.

Some woman called into Shawn Hannady? and reported how people were stealing Bush signs in Lebanon and recieved his book. She must of been smoking something and desperate because many of us thought about countering her phone call to set the truth straight. We decided it wasn't worth it as we know which direction he is. Republicans in my county are 2 to 1. She should be embarrased.

As for me, today was calling JK supporters and reminding them that we need their vote on Tuesday. In my household one is for the other side and a white line has been drawn down the middle of everything. Two more days to use all my wiles to change that vote! Yes the opposition is wavering after seeing Farenheit 9/11 but that Baptist heritage is pervailing.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bev: You one of dem communist liberals and you listen to Shawn Hannady?

You do know that according to him, anyone who don' believe like Shawn is a communist liberal. And he believe dat if you listen three time you has to be Hanitized. No way you could support Kerry and listen to Hannady.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I listen to him, Bill O' Reilly and the Pet Dr.( Dr Epstein)! I also believe in Jack Kevorkian for White House Physician.....at least that is what the the t-shirt my husband bought 2 years ago has on it.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They published a list in the Cleveland Plain Dealer of all the newly registered voters that aren't really registered. It seems they didn't fill out the form correctly (Surprise!!), and some did not live where they said they did (another Surprise!!). The list had over 4,000 names on it, and it was only for one county. Do we really want people that can't fill out there name and address correctly deciding who our next president is? I'm sure that since these folks are newly registered, they are following all the news very closely so that they can make an intilligent decision as to whom to vote for, and will undoubtedly see their name on line 3,568, and run down and fix their form. Many of these folks were "ambush regstrants", that is, they were "ambushed" coming out of concerts, churches, community centers, etc.. and therefore, it was convenient for them to register. How are they going to find these people again to take them by the hand and walk them to the voting booth? They shouldn't bother to make any more campaign calls until Tuesday morning -at least they can use it as a wake-up call!!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They can't help it, when you have to fill out thousands of forms personally, in a short period of time you make mistakes. Didn't anyone notice that the handwritting and ink was the same on so many registrations cards? Did anyone look for the green ink that elected LBJ to the senate?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    There appears to be enough sleaze to go around--over registration in OH, in SC a faux NAACP letter advising people (mainly black) that they need a credit check, 2 forms of photo ID, a voter's card to vote, and that anyone having any outstanding traffic tickets may be arrested. People are so pretty.

I have been doing some JK work as well here in W Pa. The rumor is a lot of the Pa folks are hitting the road to OH, which appears to be much closer.

And Bev, keep watching Sean H and the rest of the loyal opposition. There are far too many people who only get their news/views from one side of the spectrum, so clearly a bad idea.

I have been called by Bill Clinton and Rendall, missed the Eisenhower one. (My feelings are kinda hurt....);)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What's happening? Hopefully dey swingin to da right.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Republicans are said to be willing to do anything to interupt the vote in states like mine.
    Yes, those evil republicans are doing everything they can to disenfranchise people down here in Florida as well- especially people whose signature on their absentee ballot (for some reason) doesn't even closely resemble other signatures on file for them! This morning, Miami-Dade (there's a shocker) is going through contested ballots. They've thrown out 17 so far... I would counter your statement by saying the Democrats are willing to do anything to fabricate new votes in states like mine.

Let's see, the latest scandal concerns numerous "snow birds" who are voting absentee in New York and then voting in Florida in their "Winter Home" county of residence.

Suffice it to say there is enough mud-slinging and dirty politicing going on to go well around. Betty Castor (Democrat candidate for the Senate) has been running tons of ads against Mel Martinez (Republican candidate) stating that he has been running a vicious campaign against her personal character (she quotes several papers who have run articles to that effect as well). Oddly enough, I haven't seen any Martinez ads that attack Castor's character. I mean, they point out that Castor is on record in support of partial birth abortions, that she is on record stating that both Iraq wars and the Afghan campaign should never have occurred, and she allowed a suspected (later convicted) terror financier to speak at her college while being president there, but these are pretty well documented (and aren't disputed by the Castor campaign).

I guess where I'm going with this is... my neighbor, who works on a dockyard as a supervisor has told me he "isn't wasting his time" to go vote. Why? Well, apparently they've had people going around his dockyard handing out absentee ballot requests to everyone and offering to help them fill them out if they say they want to vote for a certain candidate. He figures his one vote the other way isn't going to mean much when its obvious to him that 1,000s are being recruited to vote the other...

Of course, I've told him that one still has to "do their civic duty" and go vote and all that nonsense. To be honest, however, I have to share his opinion that my one vote is rather small compared to the 1,000s of completely fabricated votes that will be created by both parties during this election. Truth be told, I think W should carry Florida if we were counting real votes. In all honesty, I bet he loses the state. In Pennsylvania, I would suspect Kerry should win by an honest count of the vote.

The whole election process has been turned into some convoluted reality show. Its obvious that the country has polarized itself into two very distinct camps- camps that seem to be willing to do pretty much ANYTHING to get their candidate elected. American politics has gone from trying to convince Americans to believe in your platform into this sick race to see who can fabricate more votes and disqualify more of the oppositions'.

In the end, I just want it to end. The last thing on my TV last night was a campaign ad- the first thing on my radio this morning was another. Both were attack ads- both implied that the free world as we know it would come to an end if this or that candidate were elected. Fortunately, in our house we're both voting the same way. Not because of our "heritage," but because we think the administration has done a pretty good job over the past four years, and nothing Kerry has said leads us to believe he would do any better. We'll go vote- for what its worth- tomorrow, just like we have in every other election. If our side doesn't win, we'll get up and go on with life the next day.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I, for one, can't wait till this is over........

so we can get back to the Trivex Vs Poly debate! :bbg:

This campaign has been going on for the last 2 years and frankly I am sick of listening to both sides. I am half tempted to vote for Nader, the only candidate from whom I have heard nothing!

Don't worry Bev...... I wasn't serious, my vote should mirror your vote, but in a state not in the "swing" category!
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    My poor remote is in shock. I take it around the block everytime a commercial comes on....and God bless the poor campaign workers who called our home the last few weeks. I mess with them to get them all upset and hang up on me.
    I blasted the Bush folks for not being right wing enough..but do compliment him for having daughters I would loved to have partied with back in the day....blast the Kerry folks for being whiners who want it all and having someone else pay for it....and why does his wife go by her first husbands name, how can you respect a man who let that happen??

I sum it up with no baby boomer should be allowed to hold office. Only our parents and kids have any sense.

Anyone see Saturday Night Live? The opening was a classic.
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Occupation
    My first husband died when our children were 13-22; I re-married several years later and kept my first husband's name and added my second husband's--just like Teresa. The reason was to keep a connection to the name my children bear. Frankly had my current husband been so insecure as to object to this, well, he wouldn't be my current husband!!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    What's happening? Hopefully dey swingin to da right.
    Notice you don't see many minstrel shows anymore?

I deeply and sincerely wish you well within the Republican party and think you should widen the circle of people you let know your views, using the colorful venacular above. Please!!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    Yes, those evil republicans are doing everything they can to disenfranchise people down here in Florida as well-
    Finally, an admission!;)

The whole election process has been turned into some convoluted reality show. Its obvious that the country has polarized itself into two very distinct camps- camps that seem to be willing to do pretty much ANYTHING to get their candidate elected. American politics has gone from trying to convince Americans to believe in your platform into this sick race to see who can fabricate more votes and disqualify more of the oppositions'.
    It's gang warfare - sharks and jets.
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Today, there were 4 calls. 3 from the Republican candidates. Last one tonight and only Democratic one was Bob Casey talking about life in general and to vote Democratic tomorrow. 3 pieces were in the mail today urging us to vote Republican. What amazes me that none of those pieces addressed me by name but as the Heishman family (all R oriented). Pieces that come in targeting my husband which is only 3 in the last two weeks have his first name on them. If you can't call me by my first name and acknowledge me as an individual, I don't have any time for you. My father-in-law always says that I am the wrong religion for this reason. Hail to my parents for allowing me to be able to think and argue with in our household growing up.

My roll tomorrow is as poll watcher and greeter at different times. God willing, I will join in celebration late tomorrow evening here in this Republican strong fest county. If not, I know that I did everything I can to help bring about change in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! If the W is still in, I will still oppose his views every step of the way as I have since he came in office.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We ain't got a chanst.

In the last few weeks particularly this last week-end Kerry has gotten endorsements from: Ben-Laden, Arafat, Al-Jizira, the French population by 4/5.
    Shoot we ain't got a chance against someone with powful nice frainds like that.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry Chip,

You are a nice southern boy.....so is my husband( or I wouldn't have married him).

Love you anyway. That is the nice thing about living in the US of A.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The local TV stations here are seen in Florida as well, so we've been inundated with FL Senate and amendment ads for one side or the other - it's pretty nasty, especially on the amendments. Our own Senate race is pretty dull - the incumbent's pretty much guaranteed reelection.

My dad's birthday is today. He said maybe he'll get his choice for president. I told him he may have to wait 'til Christmas! I hope I'm wrong.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Let us all Pray!

Let us all pray that the election will be over today or tomarrow.

It won't but we can pray for that anyway.

Chip

P.S. Even the candiates seem to have tired of the election about 3 weeks ago.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    If you can't call me by my first name and acknowledge me as an individual, I don't have any time for you. My father-in-law always says that I am the wrong religion for this reason. Hail to my parents for allowing me to be able to think and argue with in our household growing up.

My roll tomorrow is as poll watcher and greeter at different times. God willing, I will join in celebration late tomorrow evening here in this Republican strong fest county. If not, I know that I did everything I can to help bring about change in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! If the W is still in, I will still oppose his views every step of the way as I have since he came in office.

Can't say I've really looked at whether the pieces that arrive in the mail have my first name on them or not (seriously, do you really think it matters- or is this just some point you're trying to make that I'm missing)... Fortunately for us, we have caller ID, but according to my wife the phone started ringing at 8am this morning (last call last night was about 9pm- I wanted to pick it up just to see what asinine campaign would annoy people the night before the election).

Regarding parents, my grandparents were FDR Democrats, my mom was from what would now be called the "Religious Right" (I'd note that she was there long before the Christian Coalition), and my dad has always been decidedly Independent (and finds politics to be generally disgusting). That said, he made a point of telling me he was going out to vote for W today- good sign for Republican Pennsylvanians.

Anyway, I don't recall anyone ever trying to sway my thinking politically (except for my grandfather- who is among the most respected people in my little world- he absolutely despised Ronald Reagan). Somehow, I suppose I've just looked at the way the world is and have come to the conclusion that Republicans are generally more in line with my thinking, values, and desires for the direction of our nation.

Bev, I'm glad you'll be watching the polls- I'm sure you'll do your part to ensure a fair election. We had a bunch of people at our polling place today wearing "Election Protection" and "You have a Right to Vote" shirts. They were handing out "Voters Bill of Rights" forms to some of the people in line (they skipped me- guess I've been profiled). If, as I suspect, Kerry wins tonight, enjoy your celebration (and if you derive particular pleasure in smugly grinning at Republicans in your area- you go girl). For myself, if Bush wins I don't plan any particular celebration... I may sleep a bit better, but I fail to see why you'd want to gloat at others who have gone and voted for what they believe in.

My Democrat friends all seem energized to go to the polls today to vote the one man they seem to most despise, hate, revile, etc. out of office. Its hard to feel that some of those feelings don't somehow bleed over to anyone who supports George W. Bush- perhaps not, just seems that way. I guess the most disturbing thing isn't that y'all want to go vote for someone who you're really not all that excited about (anything just to get THAT man out of office), its that I've really tried to understand exactly what you have against this administration- and I've so far been unable to "get it."

Guess I haven't been as smart as I'd thought... Perhaps Sen. Kerry will make a wonderful President and four years from now we'll all be singing "God Bless America" (or perhaps some PC song like "May America Fare Well in the Community of the Nations") and rushing to the polls to re-elect our wonderful, strong, intelligent, world-respected leader. Perhaps everyone will have insurance, the world will be at peace, the deficit will be shrinking, the economy will be strong, and we'll all feel closer to each other. Perhaps you and your Democrat friends can all stand at the polls and pat us on the back and say reasurringly "See, we really did know better than you Republicans."

Perhaps... but somehow I doubt it. Good luck running the country- you've had a fun time criticizing the efforts of this admin, I look forward to how you handle it. One thing I agree with you on though- it is "God willing." God raises up and puts down leaders according to His good will and plan. If Sen. Kerry is elected, it will be with God's tacit approval. If He's fine with it, I think I can certainly learn to be.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    For myself, if Bush wins I don't plan any particular celebration... I may sleep a bit better, but I fail to see why you'd want to gloat at others who have gone and voted for what they believe in.
    Oh please!!! Did you describe the Reagan and Bush celebrations as "gloating"????

My Democrat friends all seem energized to go to the polls today to vote the one man they seem to most despise, hate, revile, etc. out of office. Its hard to feel that some of those feelings don't somehow bleed over to anyone who supports George W. Bush- perhaps not, just seems that way.
    Well now you know how those of us who supported Clinton felt. Not that 2 wrongs make a right, but this whole bit of Republicans who are shocked, shocked by the vitriole coming right back at them is a tiny bit disingenuous.

Guess I haven't been as smart as I'd thought... Perhaps Sen. Kerry will make a wonderful President and four years from now we'll all be singing "God Bless America" (or perhaps some PC song like "May America Fare Well in the Community of the Nations") and rushing to the polls to re-elect our wonderful, strong, intelligent, world-respected leader. Perhaps everyone will have insurance, the world will be at peace, the deficit will be shrinking, the economy will be strong, and we'll all feel closer to each other. Perhaps you and your Democrat friends can all stand at the polls and pat us on the back and say reasurringly "See, we really did know better than you Republicans." Perhaps... but somehow I doubt it. Good luck running the country- you've had a fun time criticizing the efforts of this admin, I look forward to how you handle it. One thing I agree with you on though- it is "God willing." God raises up and puts down leaders according to His good will and plan. If Sen. Kerry is elected, it will be with God's tacit approval. If He's fine with it, I think I can certainly learn to be.
    Well I say if we get the deficit to at least stop growing and don't get into any unnecessary wars, we'll come out on top. Catch you later. (PS the bold face isn't "yelling"--I'm too dense to figure out how to reply in parts!)
    Last edited by Pete Hanlin; 11-02-2004 at 03:27 PM.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I took the liberty of seperating the quotes for you...
    Oh please!!! Did you describe the Reagan and Bush celebrations as "gloating"????
    I remember being pretty happy and bouncing around the house when Reagan slaughtered Mondale- of course, I was a politically immature 16 years old at the time and didn't stop to think there were people who really believed in the Mondale campaign/platform (unfortunately for his campaign, large numbers of them were only to be found in Minnesota and the District of Columbia).

I don't recall doing any gloating on OptiBoard four years ago. In fact, I went back and looked for what I did have to say last go round. This was from a post right after the 2000 election...
    As much fault as I can find with Al Gore, I don't think you can blame him for any way he reacts to the outcome of this election. I wasn't up to see it, but it sounds to me like he was actually pretty gracious about the whole thing. This is a guy that has been campaigning for months- and training his whole life- for this job. Just when its in his grasp (after all, more
    people voted for him), it slips away by the slimmest of margins (which I'm happy to say I contributed to). I'm a Republican- I'll be happy if George W. Bush is elected President. But I'm not going to hold anything against Gore for his reaction to this strangest turn of events.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting there aren't serious cases of "bad winners" among both Democrats AND Republicans. I just don't understand why people feel the need to rub salt in the wound of a lost election. Rest assured, I'll feel sick enough tomorrow, and while I'll understand your smiles and celebrations I'd just as soon not be included in them. Conversely, if W wins re-election, I'd like to think I'll be respectful of those here at the office who I know didn't vote for him. Same thing at campaign HQ... I don't understand why people boo when their candidate tells them s/he received a call from the loser. What a lack of class (and this, too, goes both ways).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete-

My reasons for hating Bush:

Led us into a unnecessary war with Iraq ( at the expense of thousands of lives )

Increased our deficit into outer space.

Unemployemnt numbers have climed to an all time high.

Friendly relations with other countries has gone bust.

There are many other reasons but these are the main things. Please expalin to me what you don't get? Republicans in general HATED Clinton, we are doing what the Republicans did to Dems for 8 years!

I happen to know alot of Republicans, I work with them, My parents are Republicans, I won't be dancing in their living room with a glass of champange! I will however be happy and gracious that My vote counted, and that the people spoke!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Thread Information