Thread: edging axis problems

OptiBoard Novice

edging axis problems

What are reasonable expectations for lenses coming off our edgers? We use weco zet 90 sp's with ait blocks and we have to run part of a cycle ,check the size and the axis ,put them back in the machine,and then hope they come out right. after that we have to hand edge just about every lens to get it to fit.Am I the only one who thinks this isn't right?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have not dealt with your machine, but maybe the blocker is off axis. I had a similar problem with I first got my machine, and it was fixed.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Try checking the front of the lens, before it is blocked, to see if there is any oily film on it. I don't know what kind of wash-up system you use but we have tried a few automatic washing systems that leave an oily film/residue on the lens so the leap/blocker pads don't stick very well. Consequently, we wash by hand.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hmm... is it after the roughing that they come off-axis?? Were it before, I'd say your rouging wheels might be getting dull and you could try flipping them around and/or checking to see if you're not missing too many diamond flakes. You might want to check your chuck pressure too. Your finishing wheels could be wearing out too, or they could just be really darn dirty (I've seen it happen, no lie!!).

I've had a similar problem with a film on the front of the lens, but after cleaning the washer and changing the water every couple of days we haven't had that problem in a while.

You should really check your machine manual to see what the probable causes and solutions there are, or if you've already gone through that, call a service tech for answers. It may be something simple as recalibrating the edger, tracer and blocker or you might have a hardware issue that is probably a little trickier to fix but either way, having to edge every lens by hand after it comes out of an edger isn't right.

OptiBoard Novice
    The lenses tend to slip on the roughing cycle. I was wondering if anyone has compared metal blocks with plastic ones such as weco?Could this be a source of problems?I think our sizing problems are a calibration issue.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I doubt it's a block or pad issue... unless you're not using the right blocks for the front curves of the lens. If it's every single job and not just specific lens types, you're probably looking at a calibration problem. If it's only on certain lenses (for me it was any Poly lenses (especially those with GLC)), you might want to check the wheel, and either replace it or flip the roughing wheel over, flipping it seemed to solve the problem for me.

Try calibrating your tracer (I'm assuming this is a patternless system) first, you'd be suprised how many edger problems can stem from the tracer. I know that on the Triumph tracers, checking a 50.00mm circle for A, B, ED, LD and CIRC (the first 4 are 50.00, and the CIRC should always be 157.1) and adjusting the specific settings fixed nearly every sizing problem I ever had. After that checks out you might want to go through and test the edger and make adjustments as needed, then calibrate it.

Again, check your manual for solutions, as my suggestions are only such and you are apt to get better answers there than here.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To check axis on a tracer, there should be a square pattern with your calibration set. When you trace the square, and the lines aren't straight, then you know the tracer is off axis. The specific settings will allow you to adjust this as well.

Most edgers have a default pattern you can pull up to check axis. As was mentioned before, if it is every lens, then it is either your edger and/or tracer calibration. If it is only on certain lens/material combinations, then it could be a dull wheel. I know last time I replaced my wheels it was because high minus scripts kept turning.

If there isn't too many diamond chips missing, a simple truing may help.

Cassandra

Thread Information