Thread: beam me up scottie

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Wave beam me up scottie

I'm looking for a technician that knows the secret to surfacing minus rx's on an 8 bc in polycarb. I'm using the 8 bc to accomidate the star trek frames that we're getting alot of. This one job was -500 and the Dr. requests a 6 bc. I made an 11.00 tool with my foam lap and out of 5-6 lenses I never got a "perfect"lens just an exceptable one. If you know something please I'm looking fprward to hearing your response.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Look down the page a little. I'm sure you'll find about all there is to offer.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Martha, grab my calculator - something's not adding up!

I'm confused as heck. You want to use an 8 base lens for a -5.00 Rx? Or did you decide to go with the 6 base lens the Dr. recommended? Either way, with polycarb you're not going to be using a 11.00 tool. Since you got close I am assuming you were using a 6 base lens, since with an 8 base you'd read closer to a -3.00.

What kind of equipment and software are you using?

Occupation

Idea

I used a 6 bc for the -5.00 as requested by the Dr. . I believe it was to be exact -5.50. I think you may be misunderstanding my problem isn't with calculations, I don't think. It has more to do with the asphericity of poly and the need to use a more typical bc because of it. We like to use the steeper curve because of the frame shape. I've narrowed it down to poly cause the other materials adapt just fine. I thought it could be confused software so I entered in this job manually still wavy. In fact just to kick it up a notch. This baby was a double and the first pair with an identical work ticket came out right the first time! There have been others as well. I'd like to nip it in the bud. Don't like throwing lenses away. I run Gerber step-1 blocker and Gerber sgx generator. Optifax is our software provider.
    Last edited by the dog; 10-28-2004 at 02:36 PM. Reason: speled gerber wrong

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Are they polarized lenses? I have had similar problems with high base polaroids. I think the laminate causes some abberation. We have tried polishing for 3 min. then stopping and re-wetting the pad with polish and finishing out the cycle (3 more min.) with pretty good results. If you have access to aluminum laps that would help.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I do this kind of Rx everyday with no problems. First suggestion throw the foam tools away and you will see improved results.

jerry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by P Doble
    Are they polarized lenses? I have had similar problems with high base polaroids. I think the laminate causes some abberation. We have tried polishing for 3 min. then stopping and re-wetting the pad with polish and finishing out the cycle (3 more min.) with pretty good results. If you have access to aluminum laps that would help.
    did the same thing once for a high-curve sunglass... worked beautifully the first time (thanks for the 40+ year vet I work with). But, I agree... get rid of the foam laps... all they do is hold the heat in (that foam isn't all too different from cooler insulation). We special ordered our tools (our labs use hard blue and tan plastic normally, but aluminum would be best). Also, The Dog, make sure you get really good flow on your finer and polisher, those high curve jobs make it darned hard to get adequate coverage on the lap which can make for a hot time on the 'ol lens surface.

Normally, we farm high curve jobs out to our SL, per company policy... b/c most labs in the company can't accomplish either surfacing or finishing of the job probably b/c of lack of training problems, given we have a boatload of Gerber type labs which can do nearly anything if you have the people that know how to use 'em right. Also lately, I've started seeing some wraps coming back because of delamination and warping, which leads me to believe that our SL isn't doing something completely right.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by the dog
    I'm looking for a technician that knows the secret to surfacing minus rx's on an 8 bc in polycarb. I'm using the 8 bc to accomidate the star trek frames that we're getting alot of. This one job was -500 and the Dr. requests a 6 bc. I made an 11.00 tool with my foam lap and out of 5-6 lenses I never got a "perfect"lens just an exceptable one. If you know something please I'm looking fprward to hearing your response.
    I apologize for misunderstanding. It was a little unclear to me which base curve you were using.
    I've had plenty success with foam laps on the SGX - in fact I prefer them for the tough jobs. I always drop the pressure on the cylinder machines a bit, and of course you want to make sure the pads stay wet. You can also reduce the fining and polishing times when using foam laps. A 6 base lens usually works fine in a high wrap frame.

Occupation

Wink

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have to keep my foam though. I have this problem with my aluminum laps too. Not all rx's that require this steep bc are strong some are just ordinary, even with the weaker rx and aluminum laps they are still wavy. I believe I'll try the rewetting suggestion that makes a lot of good sense to me. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the opportunity. If at first you don't succeed try try again!

Occupation

Question Question for Jerry

If you are using a 7-8 bc for a minus rx and your material is poly, I want to know what you know! I have went through some lenses trying to figure this one out. That job I desribed earlier was what I like to call a "HOT TATER''. With no aluminum lap I had no choice but to use foam. Which I have no complaints about I also like to use it for tougher jobs and the convenience of being able to make the tool I need right then and there is my favorite things about my foam laps. I've had the same problem with this type of job even when f&p with aluminumlaps. Jerry what is your fine & polish times? I fine 1.5 mins. rough pad 2.5 soft pad and then polish 5 mins. with a temp of 63-67 degrees farenheight. Eromitlab I have only had problems with polarized lenses when the situation is as I described earlier. The only other thing I've failed to mention is that I don't have trouble with progressives.

Occupation
    The SGX manual recommends first fining about 30 seconds, second fining 1 minute, and polishing 5 minutes when using foam laps. I believe it also recommends head pressure of 14 psi (that's what I use anyway).

Thread Information