Thread: Regular Eye Exams

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bad address email on file
    1. The dental profession has done a superb job of educating the public for decades on the need for regular checkups. They also have the toothpaste and toothbrush industry echoing them.

2. Dentistry is not a fractured profession the way eyecare is, and there is no retail/commercial component to confuse the issue of health care.

3. Dental insurance is more prevalent and will pay every six months. A lot of people think if they don't have insurance that covers a visit, then they just can't go.
    Last edited by paw; 10-17-2004 at 09:16 PM.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    People believe that an eye exam is just for if you cannot see. They do not understand that it is for the health of the eye.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

VCA is trying to educate the public.......

With their "See Clearly Check Yearly" program. You can learn more about it at their website.

VCA's websight is here:
    http://www.visionsite.org/s_vision/

If you want to see what the "Check Yearly" program is doing, go here:
    http://www.checkyearly.com/s_check/

In my opinion, we should ALL GET behind this program. In our advertizing, mailings, and offices.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Eye Exams

I avoided going to the eye doctor for the longest time, even though, i now acknowledge that my near vision was getting worse. Ultimately, I was shamed into going when I was away with a friend and needed his glasses to read a menu. I did use them for most of the weekend and then committed that I would get an exam ( and glasses).
    Why didn t I go earlier? Vanity and the fact that I was able to work around most of the problems caused by presbyopia ( and apparently a slight astigamatism). Upon getting an exam, I saw getting glasses as an opportunity, albeit a bit of dread too. And now having had them for a relatively short time, some of the novelty has worn off and I do see ( no pun intended) some of the problems that one encounters wearing glasses. But taking a positive attitude and realizing that glasses can be an accessory and can enhance appearance, I ve been happy with them.
    Prior to this, my view torwards exams was that they aere to be tolerated as a child, but ubless you could not see well, no need for one

Occupation
    Ill probably get thirty lashes for this but I'll say it any way.............

Directing blame on patients for not recognizing benefits of routine exams is often times the outcome of our own industries professional shortcomings.

...........Ouch!

* When someone sees the same frame styles and displays from two years ago when they bought their previous pair, they have less reasons compelling them to consider the fashion benefits of routine eyewear replacement.

* When folks are not informed of the latest lens options to improve their vision above and beyond the prescription, they have low expectations that further vision care will meet their prevailing optical demands.

*When retailers and manufacturers promote products with "lifetime warranties" patients believe they have made a value added investment of which they have expectations to receive the service benefit over a longer period of time.

* When BOGO (Buy one Get one Free) offers provide folks with two pairs of the same RX we can recognize the potential of loosing that patient for a regular purchasing cycle while they are wearing out their second pair of eyewear.

The "Check Yearly...See Clearly" campaign is a great collective concept. However, it must be followed through with quality care and service at the professional level to make it a positive experience for our patients.

my .02 worth
    Last edited by PAkev; 10-19-2004 at 02:41 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    We have Ophthalmologists in our market that advise patients that it isn't necessary to see him but about every four years, true! And when they do get in, they are told that there isn't enough rx change to justify new glasses, so pts get the message; if it's not important to their eye doctor to see them routinely, it's not important, is it? the patient education begins in the refracting lane, and some docs think its their duty in life to save their patients from the mercenary retail optical industry, to the point that they are doing their patients a disservice..

Feeling philosophical...

Jo, regarding why people don't get regular, routine eye exams: don't you find it interesting that non-optical consumers will find Optiboard and ask for advice instead of scheduling an appt and seeing a doctor?

Case in point, the thread What's Wrong With My Eye(s) posted by deepdarkmind.

Now, here you have someone who has an anomaly in one eye and even then he doesn't see a doctor. He prefers to ask strangers for advice, whose qualifications and competence he has no way of knowing. So, why would people schedule regular, routine, eye exams when they won't even see a doctor when they have a concern?

I am amazed at the cavalier attitude people have toward their eyes and eyesight.

BTW, I just thought of another reason people get regular dental care and not regular eye care. When something goes wrong with your teeth, you feel pain. So people take precautions (i.e. regular dental care) to avoid pain. But a lot of sight-threatening things can go wrong with your eye without incurring pain. No pain, no motivation to take precautions.

Occupation
    Very good post paw! I can't imagine why people will trust complete strangers over the Internet over going to a professional in person. The only way it makes any sense is if they are trying to gather information prior to seeing the professional.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paw:

In this case I think the patient (well I don't want to describe what I think his reasons were for not getting and exam) but I don't think they are what I am describing below.

The public is getting to the point where they no longer trust doctors. Doctor's advertizing, selling surgery, being very separate from the publice and insulateing themselves with layers of female employees even from phone calls.
    The public is begining to fear: Is he giving me this Rx, diagnosis, product or recommedation because it's best for me, or because it's most profitable for him.
    I am afraid that the fate of doctors will soon be that of contact lens technicians, patients will reguard them as shoe salesmen who sell off the rack, no respect, no prestige.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Regular eye exams are perhaps seen as a non-essential expenditure of discretionary funds especially if you don't have insurance coverage. Basically, speaking for myself, I took my eyes for granted. They always seemed to function with little interference...the occasional 'vanity' visit to the eye doc to update frames and tweak the prescription. Purely cosmetic.

It wasn't until I had complications from LASIK that I realised what a wonder my eyes are and how fragile their function. I imagine most lay people just expect their eyes will never let them down and that good vision requires very little maintenance.

Often, advertisements for laser surgery, CK, even IOLs motivate people to see an eyecare professional for surgery when they haven't been to an eye doctor in years. Routine eye care is not the flashy big business that refractive surgery is.

Quote Originally Posted by CB
    Regular eye exams are perhaps seen as a non-essential expenditure of discretionary funds especially if you don't have insurance coverage.
    CB, that is the most accurate and succint statement I've heard. Now, how can we educate people that regular eye exams are NOT a non-essential expenditure?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    The public is getting to the point where they no longer trust doctors. Doctor's advertizing, selling surgery, being very separate from the publice and insulateing themselves with layers of female employees even from phone calls.
    The public is begining to fear: Is he giving me this Rx, diagnosis, product or recommedation because it's best for me, or because it's most profitable for him.
    I am afraid that the fate of doctors will soon be that of contact lens technicians, patients will reguard them as shoe salesmen who sell off the rack, no respect, no prestige.

Chip
    I'm curious Chip. Do you feel this is happening just in eyecare, or in all facets of the healthcare industry?

I think that the onus is on all of us as eyecare professionals to prove the value of routine eyecare. I agree with Texas Ranger that patient education begins in the refracting lane because that is the benefit that patients recognise the most. However, I try very hard to start that education right from the phone call to make an appointment, and it should follow through the pre-test, the refraction, the ocular health exam and eyewear dispensing. Really, if we all worked together with the same message and goal, the public would have a lot more faith in us. (Yes, I also know that this "utopia" doesn't exist, but one can always hope...)

Two of the biggest education opportunities I've had lately are those horrible "extreme makeover" shows (have you noticed that they all have Lasik done?) and B&L ads for "vision reshaping therapy". Tons of people have called in asking for more information, and it gives me an opening to discuss the need for eye exams.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I personally don't think that people post questions on boards like this specifically in order to avoid paying for medical care, or because they are scared of medical care.

I think it's actually somewhat positive, although I am still a little uncomfortable with this trend.

I think the trend is the "information age" spurred on by the internet. People now are "empowered" (hate that word's connotation) by having information and professionals' opinions available.

I admit I've read computer-geek forums when my computer is acting up. I've learned a little bit, but I still need my computer professionals.

We need to understand and embrace this trend. It is an important force in our society.

Just look at CL internet companies (which I hate).

Thread Information