Thread: Help going from Od office to Md office

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Help going from Od office to Md office

Ok as this is my first post a little background. I have worked in optics for 5 years, mostly at chain stores with OD's. I am ABOC and quit for lots of reasons last Feb at a chain. I was looking again and just landed a new position in an MD office and started this week. So after 8 months of not touching a lensometer I go in and goof big time. MD's work in plus cyl and for some reason I got realy confused on this. Now I think I am a reasonably good optician, I have been the one to train and problem solve in the past. I don't know if it was nerves or what but I was so embarrased! So I now have the plus cyl down but are there any other glaring differences I should be aware of? I really do not want to goof up again and I know I know this (ya know). Any advice would be greatly appriciated!
    Emilie

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Either way, you just say: "Yes, doctor." Then do what is needed.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by efsamuel
    Ok as this is my first post a little background. I have worked in optics for 5 years, mostly at chain stores with OD's. I am ABOC and quit for lots of reasons last Feb at a chain. I was looking again and just landed a new position in an MD office and started this week. So after 8 months of not touching a lensometer I go in and goof big time. MD's work in plus cyl and for some reason I got realy confused on this. Now I think I am a reasonably good optician, I have been the one to train and problem solve in the past. I don't know if it was nerves or what but I was so embarrased! So I now have the plus cyl down but are there any other glaring differences I should be aware of? I really do not want to goof up again and I know I know this (ya know). Any advice would be greatly appriciated!
    Emilie
    Be prepared to see a big difference in the volume in an MD office. Most OD's see one exam and two office visits per hour. Many MD's see 2,3,4 exams per hour. With techs doing the refractions and pre screenings it is not unusual for a good Ophthalmologist to see 40 patients per day.

Brush up on your prism. Every time some MD's attend conference they get wild with the prism for no apparent reason other than some other Doc say's its the way to over come some of their refraction issues. Then finally they wise up. I got to the point where I put on press on prisms when I could and saved the cost of remaking the lens twice.

Hope this helps,

Rep

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by efsamuel

Any advice would be greatly appriciated!

Emilie
    Optics is Optics and what you dont know you got to learn.. Coming from a chain you willhave to get used to new routines and relearn somet hings you should have known but did not because chains have a universal system of behaviour. Thats why they are called chains, remember the chaingangs out of the prison working the to clean the roads.

Just get used to work in the free trade where flexibility is master and not red tape.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 10-13-2004 at 07:06 AM.

Bad address email on file kjw1231's Avatar
    Occupation

There is a difference...

I would sharpen up on Medical Terminology. When I made the transition, I became JCAHPO certified. Ophthalmology offers this training course wherby you can learn to refract, assist and assist in surgery. Most offices will pay for this, if anything it increases your knowledge of the "medical" side of the biz.

Alos...you will see many more patients than an OD office.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    efsamuel; it does always amaze me that some(maybe most) MDs are still using plus cyl phoropters, when glasses haven't been made in plus cyls for about 3 DECADES....I don't think there's a big problem with rx errors on low power cyls, like +0.25. +0.50's, but we seem to have a lot of rx error, and the higher the cyl power, the more the remake errors...minus cyl refractions have far less remake errors...don't suppose anyone would shell out for minus cyl phoropters, since the industry just pays for all the refracting errors?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ranger

efsamuel; it does always amaze me that some(maybe most) MDs are still using plus cyl phoropters, when glasses haven't been made in plus cyls for about 3 DECADES....
    Probably has to do with the trial frame and sets of trial lenses which have been made forever in + cylinders (flat lenses)

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you near South Bend? Your clients are going to be older now so brush up on some of the problems that are more common with these folks i.e. macular degeneration, glaucoma, and cataracts. Try to put yourself in your clients shoes as much as possible. Make up a pair of glasses with one lens that gives you 20/40 and is slightly cloudy. Try a multifocal lens that gives you a 10" focal distance for reading. You will do less selling and more tweaking and fitting to maximize the vision. Think function before fashion but deliver on both when possible. Get it right the first time. Listen. Ask questions. Listen some more. Become more familiar with low vision aids, anisometropia and slaboffs. And most importantly check the glasses before they are dispensed, and use the *actual written* Rx to check the lens powers. Never use a lab invoice or the order form.

Hope this helps

Robert

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I made the switch about a year ago, if you like working with a more senior group, you'll do fine. Most all of them have a story to tell,listen, and you will have a VERY loyal patient base!!
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    it is not unusual for a good Ophthalmologist to see 40 patients per day.
    Our MD's see's apporx. 60-65 pts each. Our two OD's see 22-27 pts each! we are a busy bunch. If your techs are well trained you shouldn't have too many rx re-makes...at least you hope. But hands down volume is the biggest diffrence.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for all the good advice, I am finding my feet and have my confidence back. I think I am still going to work in minus cyl since everything from the lab will need to be in minus cyl. Also, we may have an OD. coming in the near future and I know the OD will be in minus cyl!

As far as the volume, we see 4 pts per hour and that has been my past experience, I am pushing for frame selection before going to the exam room. This seems to help with pt flow as after they are finished with the Dr we start the lens order process (if I am really good I will have narrowed the lens selection a bit before hand to basinig it on expected Rx.)

Thanks again for all the tips, we do have a pt base of 40ish up so I will don my "listening" ears!

Emilie

Thread Information