Thread: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Update

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Update

I downloaded the WinXP Service Pack 2, the latest windows security update. It now keeps trying to update Microsoft Money and I get an error 1606 message that says it can't find the network connection.

According to the site it might be that my ISP is a .net and it is set for .com. How do I change that as that box is getting really annoying as I have to cancel it many times to make it go away HELP BUDDY!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question A couple of questions...................

What version of XP....Home or Pro ? And what version of Money..........2002,2003.............etc? This behavior may occur if both of the following conditions are true:
    An earlier version of Money was installed on the computer.
    There is an entry for the previously installed version of Money in the "Currently installed programs" list in the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.
    Last edited by Sean; 10-01-2004 at 06:52 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    What version of XP....Home or Pro ? And what version of Money..........2002,2003.............etc? This behavior may occur if both of the following conditions are true:
    An earlier version of Money was installed on the computer.
    There is an entry for the previously installed version of Money in the "Currently installed programs" list in the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.
    XP Home and Money 2002, but if I remember the service pack is looking for 2003. Could that be the problem? It can't find 2003? Make it go away, pleezzz!
    Last edited by Cindy Hamlin; 10-01-2004 at 08:32 PM.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Hamlin
    XP Home and Money 2002, but if I remember the service pack is looking for 2003. Could that be the problem? It can't find 2003? Make it go away, pleezzz!
    Bud,
    Is 2003 listed in the Add/Remove programs along with 2002? Or is there any other listed versions of money in there.........besides 2002?

Sorry to be so pesky..............but i've got a feeling this is going to take more than a couple of mouse clicks to correct. I just want to make sure i point you in the right direction.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try going to control panel, add/remove programs, and uninstall Microsoft Money. If you actually use the program simply reinstall. I had my brother in law with the same problem except with Office and that solved it........Hope it works!!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

autoupdate

or you could turn off auto update (a pain anyway) should get rid of your pop up
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the advice. It is really aggravating me. As to the other versions only 2002 is there. As to the uninstall, I tried that and it still happened. I am sure service pack 2 put something there and it is looking for something I do not have. I keep checking the MS site to see if they mention it, but NO!

Help, I want to send the error box away! :angry:
    ~Cindy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OK Bud .......Im taking my gloves off

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Hamlin
    Help, I want to send the error box away! :angry:
    Ok buddy............
    You must completly remove Money from your system.Add/Remove programs will not get rid of it all. It's part of the procedure but it will
    not get rid of everything.You must get every file associated with money.
    First...MAKE A BACKUP of your MONEYDATA FILE
    Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
    In the Named box, type *.mny
    In the Look in box, click My Computer, and then click Find Now.
    In the list of found files, press and hold down the CTRL key, and then click to select the Money data files that you want to save.
    Right-click and drag the files that you selected to the Windows desktop, and then click Move Here. Or save them to some removable
    media.......floppy,cd-r..etc.
    Then begin to remove money......
    Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    Double-click Add orRemove Programs.
    On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Money, and then click Add/Remove.
    If you are prompted to restart your computer, click No.
    Then go and delete the files/folders that add/remove programs left behind.
    Click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
    In the left pane, expand My Computer.
    Locate the folder where Money is installed.
    Note By default, Money is installed in the following folder
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money
    If Money is installed in a different folder, locate that folder.
    Right-click the Microsoft Money folder, and then click Delete.
    If you are prompted to confirm the folder deletion, click Yes.
    Restart the computer.

The next step is NOT for the faint hearted.........and i cannot emphasize the words "Use Caution" enough.
    Remove the Windows Installer Registry keys for Microsoft Money
    First make a Backup Copy of the Registry......... if you are unwilling to do this then do not proceed............please !
    Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Backup.
    After the Backup or Restore Wizard starts, click Advanced Mode.
    NOTE: If the Backup and Restore Wizard does not start automatically, click Backup Wizard on the Tools menu to back up files.
    Click the Backup tab.
    Click New on the Job menu.
    Click to select the check boxes next to the drives that you want to back up.
    If you want to select specific files or folders, expand the drive on which these files or folders are located, and then click the check boxes next to the files or folders that you want to back up.
    Click to select the System State check box that is located under My Computer in the left pane.
    NOTE: You want to back up your computer settings and your data files,i recommend that you back up all of the data on your computer plus the System State data that includes items such as the registry, the COM+ class registration database, files under Windows File Protection, and boot files.
    In the Backup destination list, click the backup destination that you want to use.
    If you clicked File in the previous step, type the full path and file name to which you want to back up data in the Backup media or file name box.
    NOTE: You can also specify a network share as a destination for the backup file. Typically, backup files have the .bkf file name extension; however, you can use any file name extension.
    Click Start Backup.
    Under If the media already contains backups, perform one of the following steps:
    If you want to append this backup file to previous backup files, click Append this backup to the media.
    If you want to overwrite previous backup files with this backup file, click Replace the data on the media with this backup.
    Click Advanced.
    Click to select the Verify data after backup check box.
    In the Backup Type box, click the type of backup that you want to create.
    You can select any of the following backup types:

Normal
    Copy
    Differential
    Incremental
    Daily
    When you click a backup type, a description of that backup type appears under "Description."
    Click OK, and then click Start Backup.
    When the backup is complete, click Close.

Now on to those nasty little registry keys..... You can do this two ways .........you decide........manual/automatic. Please read all the way through before deciding.

Follow these steps to manually remove the Money registry entries.
    Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft
    Delete the following keys under the Microsoft key:
    Microsoft Money
    MSMoney
    Money
    MoneySide
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft
    Delete the following keys under the Microsoft key:
    Microsoft Money
    MSMoney
    Money
    Money System Pack
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall
    Delete the following keys under the Uninstall key:
    Microsoft Money
    MSMoney
    Money
    Under the Uninstall key there are a collection of keys in the following format for their name where the 32 letters represent a combination of numbers and letters in the key name:
    {AAAAAAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD-EEEEEEEEEEEE}
    These keys represent a program that has been installed on the computer.
    Click the first key and look for the DisplayName value. Only if it is for a version of Money that you have installed on the computer, delete it. Repeat this step for each of the 32 character key names, deleting keys for various versions of Money.Close the Registry Editor.

Or you can also do this to remove the Windows Installer Registry keys for Microsoft Money.Download, install, and then run the Windows Installer CleanUp utility.

You will find this here Windows Installer Clean Up Util Be sure to
    read the instructions (you may want to print them) the download is mid way down the page.
    After this there should no longer be any reference to money on the system.......
    You should now reinstall your money software and use restore to reinstall your money data file.
    After all of this............ that 1606 error should be nothing but a bad dream. If not .........then i'am at a loss.
    Any questions......feel free to ask.
    Whew...........

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I found my answer online. I downloaded the Windows Install Clean-up as my control panel add/delete would not let me remove it. It kept telling me there was a fatal error.

I found I had money 2002 and money 2002 service pack in the programs. I deleted with the install clean-up the money 2002 service pack and the error has stopped. Hallelujah.

The Install Clean-up is a pretty handy little thing. Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it! :cheers:
    ~Cindy

Thread Information