Thread: looking to start a business

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

looking to start a business

Hello, I am sort of getting tired of retail hours and being under managment lol therefore i am now thinking about opening my own optical. I have also thought about maybe going down to europe getting some frames and trying to sell them to optometrist or independent opticals. I live in toronto canada but i dont quite know where to start or how to start. Can anyone give me some advice as i am really really interested.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If you are tired of working retail hours wait until you work owner hours.

If you want to open your own business, especially in the Southern Ontario region, make sure that you are willing to work 15 hour days and bust yourself to make it.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree w/ for life. Retail hours can make owner hours look like a coffee break! (Not always, but many times.)

If you are good at selling, why not try a different product altogether ? Real estate, sporting goods, motivational speaking, cars, or anything else you may have once considered. Talk to some frame reps, or better yet, ride with one for a day before you consider the frame route.

Want to know what my next career will be ? Ice Cream!! (No adjustments two weeks later/ people are happy when they're buying it./ it makes them fat-they don't care/ etc...).

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    ;;
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 02-28-2007 at 04:50 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Neena

going down to europe getting some frames and trying to sell them to optometrist or independent opticals. I live in toronto canada .............

If you are tired of working retail hours wait until you work owner hours.
    Talk to some frame reps, or better yet, ride with one for a day before you consider the frame route.

I agree w/ for life. Retail hours can make owner hours look like a coffee break! (Not always, but many times.)

All above statements are all right. If you have a rich daddy that will give or lend you a few hundred thousand Dollars to buy and sell frames in the wholesale business go for it. Go down to Europe and buy frames or better go up to Asia and you will get more frames for the same money.

If you are smart, get a job as a sales rep and find out if you like the travelling, another hotel or motel room every night, being rejected by retail customers, have to drive 159 miles out of the way to get a zero sale, work on commission and pay your own expenses. Do it for a couple of years and then if you still like it start your own business selling frames. :finger:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

belluno

hi Neena

if you are looking for buying some frames from Europe , i can help you a lot ,now i live in Belluno , North of Italy which is crowded of a lot of frames manufacturers, if you are intersted send to me your requirments , and i can also help you in finding the place to stay and the visits
    really i want to have the chance to find customers in Canada and USA , and i think you can help me also

Amr Zidan

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Neena did start a business selling frames to opticians in 2006. She then became NeenaOptica in 2010 after her 1,000,000 frame sale. In 2019 she sold NeenaOptica's 224 locations across the world to SpecSavers and has since retired to the south of France.

Thread Information