Thread: OTC Pink Eye Relief

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OTC Pink Eye Relief

I have been seeing ads on TV for Similasan Homeopathic Medications for Pink Eye.

http://www.healthyrelief.com/products.cfm?pname=PER
    WarningsFor external use only.Children under 2 should be seen by a physician. Initial exacerbation of symptoms may occur.Use only if bottle seal is intact. Contact wearers: consult a physician prior to using.Replace cap tightly after every use.To avoid contamination, do not touch the tip of the container to any surface.Discard open bottle after 30 days.Contact wearers: consult a physician prior to using.
    Is this asking for trouble and further CL non-compliance? The Warnings assume that contact lens patients will call their doctors; however, they don't mention anything about not wearing contacts and cross contamination.
    Last edited by Joann Raytar; 09-27-2004 at 05:10 AM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

So what

Jo: I am afraid that today's contact lens wearers do much worse than this.
    Now that lenses have practicly become OTC, patients will swap lenses/solution,etc with sibblings and friends.

And I must confess that I have seen many, many cases of grungitus recurr and recurr because the doctor treating the patient wasn't smart enough to telll the patient to clean and sterilize (or replace) case and contact lenses.

Chp

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Be safe and get no law suits...............................

Quote Originally Posted by Jo

Is this asking for trouble and further CL non-compliance? The Warnings assume that contact lens patients will call their doctors; however, they don't mention anything about not wearing contacts and cross contamination.
    As a chemical products manufacturer we are used to issue MSDS (material safety data sheets)

As the last part of an MSDS sheet we and everybody else makes a statement like: wear proper clothing, wear safety goggles, protect yourself against every possible hazard, even if the product is totally harmless and could be ingested without any harm.

This is meant not only for protection of the user but also for protection of the manufacturer against being sued by anybody that has misused the product.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As well as being the cheif lab rat here, I'm also an RN and work with the local volunteer ambulance service. We see several cases per month where people put medications in their eyes without taking the contacts out. Really wish some people would learn.

Thread Information