Thread: AR on polarized and AR residual color

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

AR on polarized and AR residual color

Quote Originally Posted by polarized Rx lens manufacturer
    The double-sided AR works to enhance the clarity of the vision through the lens ... our customers tend to prefer the aesthetics of the very slight mirror effect created by adding the Gold AR treatment to the front surface of the lens.
    I would like to know what the dispensers have to say about this comment from a polarized prescription lens manufacturer. When you sell polarized or other lenses tinted to sunglass density, do you recommend AR on the front and back of the lenses -- or back side only? I have seen it recommended both ways.

About CLEAR lenses: What is the best way to examine the AR residual color? Indoors? Outdoors? Strong light? Low light? Direct light? Diffuse light? Examine the lenses over a high quality page of white paper? Under what real world conditions (wearing, not examining) would the lens wearer or anyone looking at the lens wearer be likely to perceive the residual AR color? I do not have any coated lenses of my own to experiment with. I have a "Rendezvous With Destiny" (eye exam) coming up, but it may still be some time yet. (My eyes are only problem #2.)

If you are online from an optical dispensary, you may have Certified NASA Space Technology as close as one of your frame boards ... Who's Al Roker and how can he help you improve your dispensary's profitability? See what the critics are calling Your passport to OptiBoard Country. Just point and click in the Signature field (below the horizontal line) on the Web link that gives what is promised: And more!
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-20-2004 at 09:23 PM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Could you please stop posting in large fonts? It really is annoying.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    OK Steve. I actually bumped up my type fonts in response to a comment from one of my readers, but since he is probably in the minority, I will cut the size back down.

Occupation
    If you don't mind Steve, how does my first post up there look to you now? I have a Mac with a high quality monitor, so I am not sure what the typical OptiBoard user is seeing. I could take my Signature down a size or even two if you think. I want my Signature to catch the reader's attention, but I don't want to look like an out and out, no limits EGO-MANIAC. Just a little eccentric.

Occupation
    The fonts are still too large. Why can't you just use the default fonts on OptiBoard rather than changing them?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    I would like to know what the dispensers have to say about this comment from a polarized prescription lens manufacturer. When you sell polarized or other lenses tinted to sunglass density, do you recommend AR on the front and back of the lenses -- or back side only? I have seen it recommended both ways.

About CLEAR lenses: What is the best way to examine the AR residual color? Indoors? Outdoors? Strong light? Low light? Direct light? Diffuse light? Examine the lenses over a high quality page of white paper? Under what real world conditions (wearing, not examining) would the lens wearer or anyone looking at the lens wearer be likely to perceive the residual AR color? I do not have any coated lenses of my own to experiment with. I have a "Rendezvous With Destiny" (eye exam) coming up, but it may still be some time yet. (My eyes are only problem #2.)
    Ok back on topic. We actually reccomend back side AR because the benefits on the front side aren't there for a dark lens. As far as residual color, I would say the coating exibits in all of the above situations, and hence it doesn't really matter.

As far as font size goes, AR coating may help you see it better when sitting in front of a computer, but I have found that's mostly a sales gimmik to sell more AR.

Occupation
    Just for the record here, about the type fonts and font sizes, I like the way that Times New Roman in Size 2 looks on my setup. Which is Internet Explorer 5.1 for Mac running on Mac OS 9.2. I have a very high quality monitor: one of those larger, flat panel (plasma) monitors. If anyone would like to critique how my post LOOKS on their computer -- my first post at the start of this thread -- putting the content completely aside, if you please -- do feel welcome. I would rather be one font size too large than one font size too small and hard to read (especially for some of us card carrying presbyopes.) When I switch to my other browser (Netscape 7.0) the same post looks like the font is now two sizes smaller (and some of the OptiBoard buttons do not have their labels anymore.) So there you have it. No way to be exactly optimal for everyone, it would appear.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-21-2004 at 03:39 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

No way to be exactly optimal for everyone, it would appear.
    Thank God for his small mercies.

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Objectively speaking (eventhough we sell Zeiss AR) I tend to think front side AR improves performance and contrast even in sun wear lenses. From an aesthetic perspective, Zeiss Cool Blue, Silver, and Gold can be nice additions to dark lenses.

Back side AR is important on dark lenses to eliminate backside reflections which can be somewhat blinding under the right conditions.

-K

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    My only complaint re: front and back Ar coated sunlenses is it can look like a light mirror coating, especially prduct with a blue residual.

On a side note, a question for Pete. Up here Essilor has a sun package called Xelios. The lenses are availible with either a front and back Ar coat or just a backside coat. The backside Ar is only availible in RF999, is there a specific reason that Crizal cannot be done in this manner.

Thanks
    Jarratt
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Steve and Keith: beautiful offspring!

MRBA: Anecdotal evidence, but I have AR on my glasses that I wear for my computer at home. The background illumination is low, and the screen is bright. I believe!

As far as front side AR on sun, it has no major effect. Backside does, though.

Zeiss cool colors ARE nice.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Back for function, front (with backside) for cosmetics. About ten percent increase in light transmission with both sides coated, which I prefer because I feel the "C" and #3 tints are too dark anyway.

Titan Minimal Art. All we need to do is get the shuttle back on schedule.

Robert

Thread Information