Thread: Ophthalmoscopes for Ghana

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Thumbs up Ophthalmoscopes for Ghana

Dear all,

I am writing to you on behalf of Unite For Sight (www.uniteforsight.org), a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that empowers communities worldwide to improve eye health and eliminate preventable blindness. We are seeking 2 ophthalmoscope donations for use by Unite For Sight interns in Ghana during November 2004. If you have an ophthalmoscope or any other materials that will be useful in Ghana (ie. visual acuity charts, pinhole occluders, natural tears, etc) that you have available for donation, please contact JStaple@uniteforsight.org Your generosity will be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
    Jennifer Staple
    Founder, President & CEO
    Unite For Sight
    www.uniteforsight.org

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi Jennifer,
    I emailed you already but not sure if you will get it so I am replying here also.
    I have quite a few AO Giantscopes but they need a transformer to work and I have only one extra transformer. You can have 2 or 3 of these along with a pinhole occluder,VA charts, etc. Also have a few older instruments like a B&L Thorpe slit lamp, AO 1316 ophthalmometer, small lensometer, etc which you can also have. The newer technology has passed these instruments by but they can still be used in third world countries. Also have alot of ex-military frames (they are packed 1,152 per box of fronts and 1,152 pr temples per box) I can send you 2 boxes of each for a total of 2,304 frames-and they have to be put together). If your organization can pay the shipping I would be glad to pack the instruments and the frames. ( An ophthalmologist I know ran a clinic in Ghana for several years and he said as impoverished as the people were they were fussy about their eyeglass styles and wanted the latest metal ovals, etc!!)
    Best regards,
    Walter J. Drill, O.D.
    215-855-4549

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

equipment

you may want to check what the electric situation is there, in a lot of foreign countries they do not use 110 ac 60 cycle, and you might have to obtain adaptars if you can

Thread Information