Thread: Help please.......AR strip and redo

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Help please.......AR strip and redo

I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of a lab in the USA who are able to strip AR from a pair of peeling 1.7 Glass Hi Index Bifocal FT 28 lenses and then recoat them

This Pt of ours is now living in the USA and we want to help her.

All help very much appreciated...... Thanks

Clive

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Any lab can do it .........................

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Noble

I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of a lab in the USA who are able to strip AR from a pair of peeling 1.7 Glass Hi Index Bifocal FT 28 lenses and then recoat them

Clive
    Any lab can do it, any retailer can do it.

Lab only (dangerous version) : Oldest receipe = sulphuric acid mixed with boric acid, heat and dip lenses until coating is gone. Then recoat.

Lab and or retailer: Get a bottle of OMS AR stripper (contains only 12% acids) without any immediate danger to anybody handling it.

Insert lenses into solution, remove after 5 seconds and check, if needed re -insert for another 2-3 seconds and coating is gone. Wash lenses under running water. Then re-coat or send to a coating lab for re-coating.

If re-coating is needed it is advisable to soak lenses in a special OMS neutralizer for 10 minutes to neutralize any acid leftovera which might outgas when recoating AR.

Ar Strippers are available for plastic or glass.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hi Chris, and thanks for the reply. I actually can strip AR in my own workshop, but I'm looking for an address/company in the USA where I can get my Pt. to send her specs and get them stripped and recoated.

She's been into a couple of local opticians in her area who can't help.

Thanks again

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Sruborn...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Noble

She's been into a couple of local opticians in her area who can't help.

Clive, irt looks like the opticians are more out to make a buck with trying to sell new lenses than to help the custimer with a problem, and create good will through their action which will bring them new customers.

In my point of view a professional should be able to do the so called little jobs that do not cost them much in material and work time. I guess the mighty advertisng by the manufacturers to sell new stuff has done en effective brainwash job on them. A service industry has become a new product outlet.

Thread Information