Thread: GOP National Convention

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

GOP National Convention

Now this is more like it... Actually, I missed the speeches- but caught the completely unbiased (drip, drip) post-coverage on CNN as their open-minded commentators attempted to tell America what to think of what they had just seen...

Rudy and McCain are decidedly not my favorite Republicans, but I thought they both carried off tremendous speeches that show how unified the GOP, even though we're currently more diverse than the party of liberalism (jab, jab). Of course, if you aren't a Republican you probably didn't like much of what you heard (but this is the GOP convention). The real question, naturally, is what independent-minded voters thought.

So, one more speaker to get by and I can relax. I'm not sure just how Gov. Ahh-nold is going to do this evening in his first nationally televised political speech. Senator Dole will knock it out of the park, and the finest first lady of the past 12 years (all I have to say, is- thank God Laura Bush is our First Lady!) will surely impress as well. Basically, it looks like a night of conservative women on the horizon!

Anyway, after listening to the media talk more about the "protesters" than the actual convention, its relaxing to see the GOP strut its stuff. Go get 'em, guys and gals!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete:

Who you think gonna git the nomination?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    From a crazed liberal POV: McCain was very good; Rudy was excellent. Don't worry about Arnold, he's too shrewd to screw up his big night. Guiliani does bother me sometimes, in that the honest truth is that 9/11 was a big political break for him. Prior to that as you may recall, he was quickly becoming Mr persona non gratis in New York. Not his fault of course that the timing was fortuitous for him, and he did do a masterful job in the aftermath. Just a personal creeps thing for me I guess.

I rather miss the tension and drama of the "real" conventions. These things are getting to be more like coronations.

(Favorite moment: McCain's reference to Michael Moore! Gee poor Mike is laughing all the way to the bank!!)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    John's was good, Rudy's was better!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    Basically, it looks like a night of conservative women on the horizon!
    Don't forget the address being given by Miss America 2003 (I am not making this up). Add Phyllis Schafly--sp?-- to the mix and it's all good. (Oops forgot, Phyllis is being kept in the attic with the rest of the right wing meat eaters!!!)

Don't forget the address being given by Miss America 2003
    I detect a hint of jelousy...

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Who Knew?

I just caught a few seconds of it tonight. Pete! Karen! I had no idea! Are all you guys black?

I am sitting here listening to Laura Bush, and just heard Arnold.

Republicans are just better.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    It would have been interesting to let Laura Bush speak from a classroom setting (seriously, I think it would have been more her element). Her address was pleasant, but I'd have to say Hillary did better during the Dem convention. The daughters? Well, if that's what I have to look forward to as the parent of a daughter, I think I'm going to need some valium or something... I suppose they showed how "normal" they were or something, but...

Anyway, then came Ah-nold. Homerun, grand slam, out of the park, get this guy out on the circuit. I take back about 4.8% of my criticism of the fine citizens of California. Take off all the silly health labels you seem to place on everything Americans use, and there might be hope for you yet! Seriously, while Ah-nold isn't my cup of tea as a Republican, I did like what I saw last night.

If conventions are supposed to make you feel better as a partisan, mission already accomplished. Let's get the election out of the way, send Kerry back to his humorless life in MA, and get on with the business of being Americans. Oh, and for all the asinine protestors screaming "Shut up Fox" in the streets of NYC, pleaaaase keep it up! You help my cause every day. (Oh, and if the media questions you, be sure to have an answer to the question- "What are you protesting?")
    ;)
    Hmmm, I've seen major portions of each speech thus far, and the main message I take away is that the GOP is trying to project inclusiveness in 2004. Then, I pick up the New York Times and the headline is "Republicans speak out against Gays & Abortion." Excuse me? Of course, the article goes on for several paragraphs and I see no mention of any of these supposed tirades... Needless to say, I didn't put out a "please deliver the NY Times" slip on my door last evening.

PS- If I were a glutton for punishment, I might tune in to see how Judy Woodruff is managing to negatively spin all this. Happily enough, this time I have an alternative to CNN...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Thread Information