Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: GOP National Convention

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    That's basically it- I just don't see America going for a third Bush.

BTW, I'm going to be speaking in Sunnyvale, CA (up near San Jose, right?) next week. Do you happen to know the way to San Jose? (Couldn't resist that!)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But that poor soul has a heartbeat. What right does anyone have to end its life?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    That's basically it -- I just don't see America going for a third Bush. BTW, I'm going to be speaking in Sunnyvale... near San Jose... next week.
    Speaking at an Essilor or optical/professional function --? To the west of San Francisco Bay, they call this the "Peninsula". San Francisco on the north end and San Jose on the south end, about forty miles apart. A line of smaller cities all the way from one end to the other. Sunnyvale, a little closer to the San Jose end of the line. Yes, I consider San Jose as just about next door. I don't know how the likes of me ("rinselberg can only hope to improve...", so say all of my recent fortune cookies) could be of service to the likes of you, but if for whatever reason you would need to consult a local about something or other, please feel free. There's only one Ronald Inselberg in the Area Code 408 telephone book. Hope it's a very pleasant trip for you. Haven't had a real hurricane here yet!
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-21-2004 at 06:13 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    My future GOP dream ticket is Santorum/Jeb Bush. That would be one to get me back into active campaigning (last time I actively campaigned was for Al Gore in his Tennessee Senate run).
    Funny you should say that. I was thinking about volunteering to work on the campaign of whoever might run against Archie Bunker - I mean Rick Santorum. I don't believe he represents the philosophy of the majority of us Pennsylvanians. Hopefully, the same machine that got (democrat) Ed Rendell into the governor's office will get Santorum out.

I hope you don't support Curt Weldon, our congressman. He fought Cheney, back when Cheney was Sec of Defense and Senator, and kept the Osprey project going. This Osprey helicopter has cost way too many millions of dollars, maybe hundreds of millions. Why does Curt support it? Because it is made right here in his constituency. BTW, It still doesn't work and several marines were killed testing it a few years back.

Then there's Arlen Specter. I'm ok with him, politically. But he originated the "single bullet theory" when he was on the Warren Commission.

What a group!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    Karen, if I understood your post, you approached PP because you had made a decision to have an abortion. You expected them to give you info that would make you uncomfortable with your decision? Is this their job?

Perhaps I misunderstood.
    No, you didn't misunderstand me but I think that a more comprehensive presentation of the options that are available to anyone would make sense. I would think that part of their job would be to educate about every option-be it abortion, adoption, birth control, abstinence etc. Is it just their job to do abortions??

Spexvet, I don't expect people to be forced to continue their pregnancies so much as not put themselves in the position to need an abortion. It's not like public school hasn't been telling them since 7th grade how it happens and even providing contraception. I don't think there are many circumstances where an unwanted preganacy should have to occur. Like chm said-In a perfrect world there would be no unwanted pergnancies and therefore no abortions (paraphrasing).

On a lighter note, Pete-are you only up there in Northern Cal or are you coming down here too??
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by karen
    No, you didn't misunderstand me but I think that a more comprehensive presentation of the options that are available to anyone would make sense. I would think that part of their job would be to educate about every option-be it abortion, adoption, birth control, abstinence etc. Is it just their job to do abortions??
    Would you also like to see abortions discussed in adoption centers? Bush has yanked funding for organizations that perform abortions and made it illegal for some to even talk about it. Is that the culture you want for America?

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Would you also like to see abortions discussed in adoption centers? Bush has yanked funding for organizations that perform abortions and made it illegal for some to even talk about it. Is that the culture you want for America?
    On the other hand a close friend of mine came home to see her 17 year old daughter covered in blood from a legal abortion. The law in CA says she didn't have to tell her parents. What do you think of that? I don't think Bush is the only one stifling the discussion .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mrba
    On the other hand a close friend of mine came home to see her 17 year old daughter covered in blood from a legal abortion. The law in CA says she didn't have to tell her parents. What do you think of that? I don't think Bush is the only one stifling the discussion .
    That's unfortunate. However, I am sure there are thousands of abortions preformed daily with no problems. I do feel fo rthe young woman, too bad she felt she couldn't communicate with her parents. Atleast she had a CHOICE to do what she thought was the right thing, regardless of the aftermath. Bless her.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis
    That's unfortunate. However, I am sure there are thousands of abortions preformed daily with no problems. I do feel fo rthe young woman, too bad she felt she couldn't communicate with her parents. Atleast she had a CHOICE to do what she thought was the right thing, regardless of the aftermath. Bless her.
    I think that dependant children should have to involve their parents in all medical decisions. That is the only right thing. If my friend's daughter's parents had not been home, she would have died. That is not the right thing in my opinion.

Yeah, at least she had the freedom to choose to take a risk she shouldn't have, without supervision.

However, I am sure there are thousands of abortions preformed daily with no problems
    Yes girls are less desireable than boys. Infanticide is the unsung theme of abortion, a practice older than the trees. Korea and India don't hide the dirty secret behind the veil of medicine. At least they have integrity about their murder.

Here is 10 zillion links on that subject for those who have never heard of what I am talking about.

http://www.thalidomide.ca/gwolbring/sex_selection.htm
    Last edited by mrba; 09-22-2004 at 02:03 AM.

Spex is a keeper.

Then there's Arlen Specter. I'm ok with him, politically. But he originated the "single bullet theory" when he was on the Warren Commission.
    Thank you for that. I have never liked Spector. Now we know one more senator for sale.

Occupation
    The AIDS/Africa $15 billion that Bush talks about (spending is another matter) has an attachment that no money can be spent on abortion and that a significant portion has to be spent (get this) teaching the glories of abstinence--given that the main means of tranferring the disease in Africa is the prostitute/truck driver trade, how do you think this will go over? How can someone be so clueless and walk upright?

Occupation

who is being protected???

Check out the NYT today. Article about chemical plants in US still significantly unprotected. The Congress and Homeland Security are trying to get the chem companies to agree to safety measures (gates, cameras etc) but the chem companies are loathe to do so. Quiz: guess which side the Bush admin is on?

Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    The AIDS/Africa $15 billion that Bush talks about (spending is another matter) has an attachment that no money can be spent on abortion and that a significant portion has to be spent (get this) teaching the glories of abstinence--given that the main means of tranferring the disease in Africa is the prostitute/truck driver trade, how do you think this will go over? How can someone be so clueless and walk upright?
    No. For such a liberated woman your information is poor. One of the main causes of the spread of aids in Africa is rape, followed by superstions revolving around sexual intercourse (which by the way can only be solved by education).

It is disturbing that the media is effectively flushing Africa down the toilet by not reporting on the problem.

As far as your issues with abstinence, The only country in Africa that has seen a reduction in AIDS cases did it with an abstinance program, and a program to stress monogamy.
    Last edited by mrba; 09-22-2004 at 11:37 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chm2023

Quote Originally Posted by mrba
    No. For such a liberated woman your information is poor. One of the main causes of the spread of aids in Africa is rape, followed by superstions revolving around sexual intercourse (which by the way can only be solved by education).

It is disturbing that the media is effectively flushing Africa down the toilet by not reporting on the problem.

As far as your issues with abstinence, The only country in Africa that has seen a reduction in AIDS cases did it with an abstinance program, and a program to stress monogamy.
    The point and question is:
    If you are committed to helping Africans overcome AIDS, why would you put conditions on the financing???

The point and question is:
    If you are committed to helping Africans overcome AIDS, why would you put conditions on the financing???
    Some methods are proven. Education and condoms, don't work. Ask anyone in San Francisco, where AIDS is increasing, despite the free condom jar at some of my favorite eyedoctor's offices.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    To be honest, no I would not like to see abortions discussed in adoption centers but I see the parallel you are drawing and the logic behind it. W happens to think abortion is wrong-are we talking about federal funding? Should the government fund what he (and I) think is killing? I am curious about it being illegal to talk about it, seeing as how it is not illegal to DO it, could you please tell me where that info is from? Thanks.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by karen
    To be honest, no I would not like to see abortions discussed in adoption centers but I see the parallel you are drawing and the logic behind it. W happens to think abortion is wrong-are we talking about federal funding? Should the government fund what he (and I) think is killing? I am curious about it being illegal to talk about it, seeing as how it is not illegal to DO it, could you please tell me where that info is from? Thanks.
    My memory isn't what it used to be, but I recall reading or hearing that government agencies were prohibites from even mentioning abortion as an alternative. I'll research and see if I can document this.

Occupation

DoD weighs in

All these posts about a woman's freedom of choice, abortion, zygotes and such just rang a bell: I clearly remember several months ago on MSNBC ("rinselberg's sole source for news") that the Defense Department awarded a research contract for a stem cells project. Research to be conducted in Sweden because the current restrictions on Embryonic Stem Cell Research in the United States made it more desirable (if not absolutely necessary) to conduct the research abroad.

Rummy is no dummy ...
    Last edited by rinselberg; 12-07-2006 at 04:23 AM.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    I can imagine certain ways that this post might continue, but all I want to say at the moment is, MAYBE Rummy is no dummy!
    Having worked on DARPA research projects in the past I believe I can guarantee that they have little or no individual visibility to the Sec. Def. Second how much smarts does it take to choose the best place to do any development based on the ability of any particular research group to perform the work? It's like saying "gee he was smart to go to an auto mechanic to fix his car rather than an psychologist". Clearly the mechanic, like the Swedes, had the right tools for the job.

Occupation

Rummy is no dummy

Quote Originally Posted by coda
    Having worked on DARPA research projects in the past, I believe I can guarantee that they have little or no individual visibility to the SecDef. [And] how much smarts does it take to choose the best place ... based on the ability of [a] particular research group to perform the work? It's like saying "Gee - he was smart to go to an auto mechanic to fix his car [instead of] a psychologist." Clearly the mechanic, like the Swedes, had the right tools for the job.
    Well Coda, considering what SOME OptiBoarders (and many other Americans, I'm sure) have said about Donald Rumsfeld, I would say that "Gee - he was smart to go to an auto mechanic" would be quite a compliment. Really, the Rumsfeld part of my post was not that central to my point. I just thought it was an interesting thought to put into the conversation, about DoD going overseas for stem cells research.

I can't say that I followed Rumsfeld much before nine-eleven and Afghanistan. I have not actually read "The Rumsfeld Way" and perhaps never will. Unlike what I would guess are many people, I was very favorably impressed with his way of handling the DoD press conferences when they were a hot item on TV. I thought his answers were remarkably lucid, witty, engaging, quick, articulate, imaginative, scholarly and often downright funny. After all, it's just a war going on ... no reason for anyone to lose their sense of humor. Whatever best fit the question.

Was he RIGHT? I don't want to start on that again, at least not right now. I honestly don't know how Rumsfeld stands on some of the social policy issues like abortions and stem cell research. If Bush is reelected, I would not be surprised to see Rumsfeld step down shortly after the election. I mean the guy is how old --? I think he'd probably want to do it just for personal reasons. Right or wrong, I'm surprised he hasn't just dropped dead from wear and tear by now, especially after the Abu Ghreib scandal. That's why I used to sign my posts Another Rumsfeld groupie ...

Quote Originally Posted by mrba View Post
    Rinsel Tinsel,
    Tell me your favorite 10 things Rummy has done!
    Last edited by rinselberg; 12-07-2006 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    Well Coda, considering what SOME OptiBoarders (and many other Americans, I'm sure) have said about Rumsfeld, I would say that "gee he was smart to go to an auto mechanic" would be quite a compliment! Really, the Rumsfeld part of my post was not that central to my making it. I just thought it was an interesting thought to put into the conversation, about the DoD going overseas for the stem cells research. I can't say that I followed Rumsfeld much before nine-eleven and Afghanistan. I have not actually read The Rumsfeld Way and perhaps never will. Unlike what I would guess are many people, I was very favorably impressed with his way of doing the DoD press conferences when they were a hot item on TV. I thought his answers were generally very lucid, witty, engaging, quick, articulate, imaginative, scholarly, often downright funny (well, after all, it's just a war going on .... no reason to lose one's sense of humor) -- whatever best fit the question. Was he RIGHT? I don't want to start on that again, at least not right now. I honestly don't know how Rumsfeld stands on some of the social policy issues like abortions and stem cell research. If Bush is reelected, I would not be surprised to see Rumsfeld step down shortly after the election. I mean the guy is how old --? I think he'd probably want to do it just for personal reasons. Right or wrong, I'm surprised he hasn't just dropped dead from wear and tear by now, especially after the Abu Ghreib scandal. That's why I used to sign my posts "Another Rumsfeld groupie ...". See ya!
    RT,
    Tell me your favorite 10 things Rummy has Done!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Show me a woman that had an abortion 20 years previous (and now that she has grown old enough to have some sense and values) doesn't regret her decision. Show me one that doesn't say that in retrospect it ruined the rest of her life.

Yes, I know that there are those who have had thier abortions for lesser periods of time who will get on thier soap box and defend "a woman's right to have control over her own body". But mostly these are those who are trying to convice themselves that they didn't really murder thier own child and didn't really make a tragic decision. Even the principals in Roe vs. Wade now regret both the abortion and the court ruling.

Chip

What should a woman do that has already made such a decision and come to realize it was a mistake? Go out and hang herself.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Show me a woman that had an abortion 20 years previous (and now that she has grown old enough to have some sense and values) doesn't regret her decision. Show me one that doesn't say that in retrospect it ruined the rest of her life.

Yes, I know that there are those who have had thier abortions for lesser periods of time who will get on thier soap box and defend "a woman's right to have control over her own body". But mostly these are those who are trying to convice themselves that they didn't really murder thier own child and didn't really make a tragic decision. Even the principals in Roe vs. Wade now regret both the abortion and the court ruling.

Chip

What should a woman do that has already made such a decision and come to realize it was a mistake? Go out and hang herself.
    Thank you Chip....for staying on topic... Bless you!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    I have cleaned up this thread and removed the extremely off-topic posts from yesterday's diversion. I would like to thank the people who did show some respect and understanding and who took the time and consideration to write.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol
    I have cleaned up this thread and removed the extremely off-topic posts from yesterday's diversion. I would like to thank the people who did show some respect and understanding and who took the time and consideration to write.
    Thank you, Steve

Thread Information