Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: GOP National Convention

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by mrba
    I just read the Zell Miller speech. I think this article is not accurate.
    How so? Support your position.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How come you folks be done to gittin' so stirred up. I have seen presidents and parties and platforms come and go since FDR. Not a damn one of them has made iota's difference in my life. I still have to get up and go to work every day. I still do whatever is needed there.

No one is providing me with anything, I do quite often feel that many are taking things away from me (especially at tax time). But basicly my life stays the same.

Do any of you think that Kerry is going to put a chicken in your pot, or think that Bush can protect you?

Get real, read a book on optical repair. You'll find it a lot more usefull than politics.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Thumbs up Alright Jed. Meet me at the cee-ment pond.

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    How come you folks be done to gittin' so stirred up. I have seen presidents and parties and platforms come and go since FDR. Not a damn one of them has made iota's difference in my life. I still have to get up and go to work every day. I still do whatever is needed there.

No one is providing me with anything, I do quite often feel that many are taking things away from me (especially at tax time). But basicly my life stays the same.

Do any of you think that Kerry is going to put a chicken in your pot, or think that Bush can protect you?

Get real, read a book on optical repair. You'll find it a lot more usefull than politics.

Chip
    You crack me up!! Good to keep your sense of humor though, not to mention perspective.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Decide for yourselves

Miller's speech:

http://www.gop.com/News/Read.aspx?ID=4599

He takes the odious position that America cannot make mistakes in matters of foreign policy, and that to criticize the actions of the Commander-in-Chief is unpatriotic.

Of course, the objection to this should be self-evident: any president could put himself beyond criticism simply by going to war. Yep, that's a good plan.

Occupation

Favorite line from Zell's speech?

"I have knocked on the door of this man's soul and found someone at home."

This has enormous potential as a country/western ballad!!!:D (On the downside, it does have the unfortunate affect of bringing to mind W's embarrasssing comment about Putin.)

He takes the odious position that America cannot make mistakes in matters of foreign policy
    They are only mistakes if they are bad for us. That has yet to be shown.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    "I have knocked on the door of this man's soul and found someone at home."

This has enormous potential as a country/western ballad!!!:D (On the downside, it does have the unfortunate affect of bringing to mind W's embarrasssing comment about Putin.)
    \

I liked the "spitball" line best myself... Think I will start calling Kerry "Spitball" from here on out... I guess chm this illustrates the difference between us. I LOVED that speech, makes me want to move to Georgia! (also, Mr Burns is probably a Republican-all those rich guys are! ;) )

P.S. To Shanbaum-that's the great right wing conspiracy- We're ALL black!!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Once again, I've not had much time to actually see any of the convention live, but it looks like its been running pretty well...

I saw one line from Cheney last night that ranks as my zinger of the convention. "Kerry says he sees two Americas... the feeling is mutual." Witty humor without being crass, that's why I like Cheney.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

I had an appreciation of Bush's commentary on Kerry's conservative moral values...

Occupation

Someday this war's gonna end ...

AP wire service photo

If you turn up the sound on your PC or Mac and then point and click on the photo (above), you can hear a few seconds of audio that was supposed to cap off W's big GOP convention speech, but was never aired due to a technical problem.

The audio is from the First Cav's sector in Iraq (exact location withheld), relayed via JSTARS to CENTCOM (Qatar) and then via commercial satellite to NYC.

A guy I used to work with pulled it out of an Internet frame buffer or something (that part was over my head) and E-mailed it. I converted the audio data into a WAV format that works on OptiBoard. Background noise -- I had to listen to it about four times before I could make out all the words.

rinselberg has posted more than twenty photo essays on OptiBoard, including Attitude, You could have seen it coming and The M-16 is a marvelous gun.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-24-2005 at 03:56 PM.

Occupation
    Though Bush's speech was not so hot (I know this because I watched the Fox guys afterwards and they were NOT gushing--Hume actually said it was not one of Bush's better speeches. Well shut my mouth). The first part, the domestic part was the big problem--no central message, a laundry list of tired ideas (not to mention stolen, portable health care, where have I heard that before). He is clearly more in tune and much more engaged with the Iraq and terrorist themes.

Do you think they milked 9/11 enough? That video before Bush spoke was unbelievable: "look Maude, he went to a Yankees game and threw out the first pitch, what a leader, call Mount Rushmore." Are people really this easily manipulated?

Funniest lines from Jon Stewart, after Zell's diatribe: "I've never heard the anger of the enfranchised before" and my favorite, showing a clip of a number of Republicans (all noted homophobes, e.g. Santorum and Frist): "This is what happens when you won't let gay people touch your hair"

And hey--speaking of bad hair--where the heck was Tom DeLay?

There is something so phony about this--the Dems as well. I can see why the networks have cut back their coverage.
    Last edited by chm2023; 09-04-2004 at 11:41 AM.

Occupation
    Funny, I thought Bush did a better job of delivering that speech than any I've seen him do. The content was bizarre - I can't believe they're recycling the same old lines from the 2000 campaign, especially given the way that things have transpired. And the litany of promises - strange what constitutes conservatism nowadays. Tilt the tax system in favor of the rich, and they brush some more crumbs off the table. Of course, to see it that way, one has to distinguish between that which is done and that which is claimed to be done.

What was really bizarre, given that just about every black person in America who was willing to do so was given an opportunity to address the convention in prime time - where was Colin Powell? I wonder if they were concerned that his presence might have served as a reminder of the existence of that parallel universe outside the Bizzaro one they so skillfully created... like that modern coin in Somewhere in Time, which hurled Christopher Reeve back to the present, a spark of truth could have caused the illusion to unravel?

Nah.

Occupation

Colin Powell

I heard Powell announcing a couple weeks ago he would not be attending the convention, thought he said something about not attending something political at time of war, though I might be confusing this with Ridge's statement that he felt he should not participate in anything partisan.

I am enjoying the Zell/Chris M "dual" bit. Spitballs at 20 paces? Well I guess crazed old men need their moment in the sun as much as anyone else.:D Ah statesmenship!!!

Occupation

Angry Kerry's record on weapons

http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/weapons.asp

You gotta love Cheney, going after Kerry for voting against weapons systems he himself voted against as senator and sought to trash can as SOD. Thank God we have integrity back in the White House.

I don't know how the debates will be structured, if history is a guide, the Bush camp will push for limiting follow up and anything that requires thinking on one's feet, but I would love to see Edwards call Cheney on this.

For pure chutzpah, you cannot top this guy. Here is a man who was asked by the Bushies to vet possible veep candidates and ended up recommending himself!! In a twisted sort of way, you have to admire the sheer gall of the man. His "softer" approach to gay unions is very telling--"I will back the most right wing agenda, regardless of how this agenda may hurt other citizens, but when it hits close to home, well that's different." Talk about hypocrisy.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum
    like that modern coin in Somewhere in Time, which hurled Christopher Reeve back to the present, a spark of truth could have caused the illusion to unravel?
    Now that was a good movie....stood in line next to Hal Holbrook to see that one long ago. Seriously, I don't think Colin agrees with much of Bush's agenda and therefore stayed away. It's not like they haven't bumped heads once or twice already. That was another guy I would have voted for...
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation

Need an instant replay on that last post just above!

I think that the real reason that neither Donald Rumsfeld or Colin Powell went to the GOP Convention is that they hold the two Cabinet positions that have the highest visibility internationally. It would not be advisable to have foreign policy too closely connected with partisan politics, especially with the current state of things around the world. I would think that Colin Powell is still closer in his ideas to President Bush than he is to Senator Kerry.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-10-2004 at 03:37 PM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    It would not be advisable to have foreign policy too closely connected with partisan politics, especially with the current state of things around the world.
    YAAAAAAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Occupation
    Yo' shanbaum, Howard Dean musta gotta holda u OptiBoard password!
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-10-2004 at 03:39 PM.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Occupation

Not so sure about the score here, mrba

I think that those "smilies" that mrba just posted probably belong on shanbaum's side of the scoreboard. The more I look at his post, the more I think that the DEAN SCREAM is exactly what shanbaum had in mind. Which makes shanbaum the ventriloquist and rinselberg the dummy!

:hammer:

Post Script:
    Last edited by rinselberg; 10-31-2004 at 02:02 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Oh I got the Dean Scream, and if I could spell ventriloquist I would lob that at The Shanbaum as well.The funny thing is is most here didn't get it!

Gaaaaaaaaarrrrhhhh!!! (cross eyes for full effect)

Occupation

Straight into the gutter, yeah!!

Kitty Kelly is publishing her expose on the family Bush in the next couple of weeks. I read her book on Nancy Reagan and the one on Sinatra and I am here to tell you they are completely without redeeming social value and vulgar to boot. I of course will buy it as soon as it hits the news stands!!! (My husband calls this the car accident effect--you know you shouldn't look, but you just can't help yourself). I am just finishing up a biography of Shakespeare so I feel I am due some trash!

Occupation

Pentagon wakes up!!!!

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=6163467

Competitive bids, what a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    Kitty Kelly is publishing her expose on the family Bush in the next couple of weeks. I read her book on Nancy Reagan and the one on Sinatra and I am here to tell you they are completely without redeeming social value and vulgar to boot. I of course will buy it as soon as it hits the news stands!!! (My husband calls this the car accident effect--you know you shouldn't look, but you just can't help yourself). I am just finishing up a biography of Shakespeare so I feel I am due some trash!
    The KK(K) book is all old news on the Bush family. If you learn anything new from it, your liberal leanings are truly weak.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    MRBA: Liberals have leanings. They are incapable of learning.

Thread Information