Thread: Aspherical vs. Spherical - problems adjusting

OptiBoard Novice

Aspherical vs. Spherical - problems adjusting

I need to ask a question to all the experts on this forum. I got my first set of aspherical lenses last week in a small rectangular frame from Lenscrafters. I only see in focus dead center. As I move my eyes in either direction, things become blurred quickly. I had Lenscrafters remake my prescription in slightly larger oval-shaped frames (what I was wearing) with spherical lenses and that did the trick. I can see focus throughout the lens, but I do see some returning distortion. Did I not give my eyes enough time to adjust to the aspherical lenses? I do like the undistorted vision that they give me, but I cannot compromise on the lack of focus. Any thoughts? I do have a slight astigmatism and my prescription is OD-5.00/-.50/072 and OS-5.00/-.50/052. Thanks!

Did I not give my eyes enough time to adjust to the aspherical lenses?
    Possibly, or possibly they were made wrong. We really don't have enouph information.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Were your aspheric lenses made of same material as spherical? Some aspheric lenses come in High Index.

Also, did you have the astigmatic correction before? Did your Rx change?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Distortion......................

Quote Originally Posted by jason9617

but I do see some returning distortion.

Did I not give my eyes enough time to adjust to the aspherical lenses?
    When you see distortion..........................you see distortion and it has nothing to do with adaptation.

Yes, you can get used to see distortion, but do you really want it? Go back and request a re-do to a distortion free prescription.

Always pay with a credit card from a bank that is cooperating with customers for charges made that are not right so you can block payment.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What do you mean by "returning distortion"?

At -5.00, you are going to get some peripheral distortion, period. The thinner you make your lenses, the more distortion you are going to get, in general; it's a trade-off. If you want the most distortion-free lenses you can get while thinning the lens at least somewhat and keeping them light, go with Trivex spherical.

I think, though, that you ought to stop right where you are. It's easy to get obsessed with distortion. Just keep wearing the second attempt and you will not notice the peripheral blur after a while.

OptiBoard Novice
    Both lenses were made with the FeatherWates (polycarbonate) material. I have always had astigmatic correction, and yes, my Rx did change. Not drastic, but the prescription is a bit weaker.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jason9617
    Both lenses were made with the FeatherWates (polycarbonate) material. I have always had astigmatic correction, and yes, my Rx did change. Not drastic, but the prescription is a bit weaker.
    Have you always gotten your glasses from LensCrafters, and were they always featherwates?

Bad address email on file

trivex?

Quote Originally Posted by drk
    What do you mean by "returning distortion"?

At -5.00, you are going to get some peripheral distortion, period. The thinner you make your lenses, the more distortion you are going to get, in general; it's a trade-off. If you want the most distortion-free lenses you can get while thinning the lens at least somewhat and keeping them light, go with Trivex spherical.

I think, though, that you ought to stop right where you are. It's easy to get obsessed with distortion. Just keep wearing the second attempt and you will not notice the peripheral blur after a while.
    trivex would be extremly thick in a -5 i would try a resolution poly it has a low abbe value however it has very low distortion on the edges and is very thin with its atoric design for more information go to http://www.resolutionlenses.com/whynew.html

also its possible LC might not have taken an oc height when making your glasses thus increasing script... also not everyone can wear aspheric lens designs

Bad address email on file April_01's Avatar
    Have you always had polycarbonate lenses? Did you have problems with your last pair of glasses?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    About 15 years ago, when I worked in a doctor's office we saw lots of people who had their Rx filled at Lenscrafters complaing that they could not see out of new glasses. We checked the lenses out and could not find anything wrong with measurements or lenses in our instruments or with other tests. But we made new lenses using local optical labs and the problems cleared up.

I have only heard this complaint very infrequently in the last decade now that I am in in independent practice, but used to hear it quite often.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by slaboff
    trivex would be extremly thick in a -5 i would try a resolution poly it has a low abbe value however it has very low distortion on the edges and is very thin with its atoric design for more information go to http://www.resolutionlenses.com/whynew.html

also its possible LC might not have taken an oc height when making your glasses thus increasing script... also not everyone can wear aspheric lens designs
    Hey, I'm with you there. CR-39/Trivex is thick, no doubt. At least Trivex is light and drillable.

When a person is as overly-concerned as this person, you use the nuclear bomb. Don't fuss around with incremental changes in abbe. Remember that asphericity is not better than spherical for optics, and it's probably the other way around.

Having said that, I personally wear the Resolution like you recommended. It's a great lens. It's not THAT much different that my last pair in MR-6, but it's pretty good!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by drk

Don't fuss around with incremental changes in abbe. Remember that asphericity is not better than spherical for optics, and it's probably the other way around.
    Right drk. You might see clear...................but you will see different...............therefore leave a patient with something he has been happy for the so many years.

And dont forget.the older somebody gets the harder it is to get used to different stuff and that goes not only for the optical.

Thread Information