Thread: luxottica

OptiBoard Novice

Big Smile luxottica

my friend just called(evil empire rep) and asked me,"with everything going on with lux(cole,pearle,lc) should he be looking for a new job. He asked me what companies are hiring. I told him I didn't know. I wasn't sure about my own. The question I pose to the forum is are lux reps getting ready to become rich or loose all of their customers.

Bad address email on file
    I have customers that will buy from me even when they don't need any product. For a few reasons.....

they like me

they like luxottica

they know lux products last the longest and get phased out the least

they know from experience that lux will always support them whether i am around or not......

they know that lux will be here regardless of the economy...

that means that their money is safe

look how lux took care of their consumers when they gave up the Armani license. it is unheard of for a company to back up product they don't even sell anymore....

OptiBoard Novice
    you must be a lux rep. what lines do you carry?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

When they bought LC..................

Quote Originally Posted by repguy

The question I pose to the forum is are lux reps getting ready to become rich or loose all of their customers.
    When they purchased the LC chain the whole USA optical retail was going to totally boycott them in protest for going into competition to their customers.

Nothing ever happened, and I dont thinks anything wil happen either this time even if it is more serious. The optical community is not organized and people forget very soon unless it hurt their pocket on a contnous basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    When they purchased the LC chain the whole USA optical retail was going to totally boycott them in protest for going into competition to their customers.

Nothing ever happened, and I dont thinks anything wil happen either this time even if it is more serious. The optical community is not organized and people forget very soon unless it hurt their pocket on a contnous basis.
    Wow, you really have no idea what goes on in the optical community do you?

Actually there was a very organized boycott of Lux. Lux lost a lot of biz. But only temporarily....They are bigger and better in the wholesale, there O market now than ever.

They ship so many frames JUST to the three O market every day that they were given there OWN zip code and post office right inside their Port Washington location.

If you want to organize the three O's to do something. Tell them to all stop accepting third party insurances. If they don't, Eyemed will be the only plan open to all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by repguy
    you must be a lux rep. what lines do you carry?
    Hey,

Ya, I am a rep. I worked as an indepedent Optician before that. My favorite frames to dispense have always been Lux. I can tell you specific stories all day long why that is so... and It was my position way before I ever thought I would work for the company.

to ge to the point...........I carry Sferoflex, Vogue, Anne Klein, Revo, and Ray Ban Ophthlamic........Some of them only in Maine.

I love some other frames too.... I used to run a whole business with only seeing four awesome reps.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Luxottica

Look, We have freedom to buy or not to buy...but they nail you on the EYEMED thing. Luxottica frames all look alike for the most part and you can get a lot of frames from other vendors. Get Lux out of your head. there are literraly tens of thoundsands upon thousands of frames to get and ask yourself this question....How many people (really count for a week) come in and ask for a sferoflex, luxottica, vogue, persol, moschino etc. by name? heck, how many come in and ask fro name brand of any type. It happens very minimal, so sell what looks good on the patient and what is comfortable regardless of name or mfg. Stop chatting about it because it is nothing you can control. We have Lux only because of EYEMED and that is another lie they told us about traffic flow, anyways the point is...I do not show my patients LUXOTTICA anything. They will be last board i go to....you may have to keep a minimum in stock, but is up to you to sell or not to sell.....
    CM

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sceptdus:

-I like my Lux rep.(I guess he's still my rep even though I don't buy LUX)
    -He understands why many of us don't buy from him anymore.

-He has decent product, but not so exceptional I can't get better and cheaper elsewhere.

-Lux does not always support me. (Is a "hold-up"/Eyemed a form of support?)

-"Their money is safe" - "Their" must refer to LUX.

-Yes, let's look how Lux "took care" of us when they lost Armani. They tried to charge a restocking fee! Maybe the fact that they were charging 20% and not 50% restock fee was the "support" part! In the ganster movies they say "Should we take care of 'em boss?" Is that the type of "care" you were refering to?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Sales Reps for frames .........................

Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    sceptdus:

-I like my Lux rep.(I guess he's still my rep even though I don't buy LUX)
    -He understands why many of us don't buy from him anymore.
    Being a sales rep is not an easy job. Some of the people doing it have a natural talent and can sell refrigerators to eskimos. If that type of rep works for a decent and reliable company he is just about guaranteed to be successful.

Being able to take the pro and counter arguments customers bring up are hard on a sales reps morale who most of the time works on a commission basis with drawing privileges against the commission.

On the other hand the good sales rep has no problem switching companies if sales become difficult because of one reason or another.

If a sakes rep switches job within the same trade, he usually just discovered that the products he sold up to now are actually not as good as he was convinced for the last few years, and there are others around that are as good or even better.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris,

I've been a sales rep before, and it was no more difficult than any other job I've had, and was much easier and more profitable than some of ventures I've had. The good reps know their products as well as their competitions products. You don't learn product by flipping your own frames over in your trays, you've got to got to the labs, to the dispensers, and even the consumers to find out the real story.

When a rep switches jobs within the field, he/she is usually not discovering much new, but is more willing to admit what was already known.

Thread Information