Thread: Ortho-K Therapy

OptiBoard Novice

Ortho-K Therapy

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering about Ortho-K Therapy. Is it safe? Are there any risks? Has anyone tried this. With all the trouble I'm having being fitted for multi-focal contacts, Ortho-K sounds appealing to me.

Catie

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First of all, find out if you are the right candidate. I believe procedure only works well in myopia up to -5.00D. Depending on your Rx, it may or may not help your reading. Don’t forget, you still have to wear contacts every night or even part of the day. If you don’t want to bother with contacts, Ortho-k is not for you.

Optiboarders, correct me if I'm wrong.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    First of all find a ECP in your area that you are comfortable with to discuss your questions and concerns about Ortho-K.

To answer your question you presented here,
    Is it safe? It is as safe as any type of contact on the market, you still have to clean and properly store the lenses and adhere to proper insertion and removal techniques.

Are there any risks? See above, Ortho K lenses have the same risks that come with rigid lenses. Now the process is completely reversable, so compared to a procedure like LAsik there are very few risks, again consult a local ECP.

Ortho-k is by no means a corrective instrument for prebyopia (the need for multi-focals), a low spherical prescription with little or no cylinder correction, is the best candidate for Ortho-k.

In the office I worked at that did Ortho-K we charge $1250 for six months of visits and 2 sets of lenses, now replacement lenses were more than RGP's and had the same replacement cycle, (i think we were using Boston XO), sometime I didn't understand why patients wouldn't save themselves some headaches and expense and just wear convention contacts.

Personally I'm sticking with glasses.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

OptiBoard Novice
    I agree with the above. The only people that I suggest ortho k to are folks who have an "extreme" lifestyle and can't wear contacts during the day and don't want refractive surgery. Examples are, people who surf frequently and people who play/work in a very dusty environment that does not require safetly glasses. Ultimately, you should see a provider and decide if it is right for your eyes. No one can see your eyes and eyelids to warn you of potential complications until they see you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What they said. Also long term if you decide to quit the treatment everything goes back to the way it was before and you having nothing to show for it. Kind like renting over buying. Renting gets you no equity.
    UFRICH:cheers:

Thread Information